Talk

Advanced search

to be scared of real supermarkets

(54 Posts)
idiuntno57 Fri 17-May-13 20:09:53

A couple of years ago I switched grocery shopping from mainstream (Ocado/ Sainsburys/ Tesco etc.) to Lidl. Entirely financially driven as we are the archetypal corset wearing squeezed middle). Problem is that I now cannot cope in real supermarkets: too much choice, too expensive, too scary....

Means I can't buy a tin of tomatoes unless it is shoved on a palet and selling for 32p.

AIBU to think that when the great squeeze lets of I won't be able to function in the real world?

idiuntno57 Fri 17-May-13 20:10:20

lets off

SacreBlue Fri 17-May-13 20:17:29

Missed the typo in OP and thought 2nd post was a cheap tin of beans related incident blush

I'm one of 'those' people who shop according to what I fancy but I do get irritated if it's a shop I don't know the layout of.

When the great squeeze lets off <small snigger behind hand> you will be in an excellent position to continue to save money rather than go back to spending it on more expensive items just because they are 'there'

Good on you I say smile

SoftKittyWarmKitty Fri 17-May-13 21:19:34

OP, I'm exactly like you. I swapped to Aldi about two and a half years ago for financial reasons and now I really dislike mainstream supermarkets, especially those HUGE ones. I find them intimidating and overwhelming. I mean, who really needs to choose from 9 different brands of cornflakes and 15 varieties of tinned tomatoes? That's if you can find them in the first place, after they've moved them to a different aisle every other week. hmm

Primadonnagirl Fri 17-May-13 21:25:11

I feel this is the place to share my embarrassing supermarket story..one day I went to my local Tesco...I was soon fuming cos they had moved everything round..I know shops do this but this was ridiculous NOTHiNG was in the right place..I went around muttering to myself only managing to O locate half the stuff..then realised why..I was in Sainsburys...

fantashtic Fri 17-May-13 21:30:04

Oh I am completely the same. Had to go to tesco recently with a friend and I had a strop and abandoned trolley due to price of cereal. grin
Too much choice, too bright, too expensive. I love Aldi/Lidl/£1 shop.

ParadiseChick Fri 17-May-13 23:21:55

Yanbu I cannot cope with big supermarkets.

The day I spent 5 minute trying to work out the best deal on soap powder done it for me.

AgentZigzag Fri 17-May-13 23:35:33

If you think that you're being completely manipulated before you even walk through the doors, the psychology of shopping must be worth shed loads, no wonder some people get right worked up about being trapped in the loop.

I don't mind it too much because the time I go it's relatively quiet, I'm ashamed, but unable to resist, getting suckered in by the offers (especially of crisps on offer for a quid, I don't even eat crisps confused) even though I know I'm being tweaked.

flanbase Fri 17-May-13 23:38:11

I'm not one for big supermarkets as it's all too much choice (the luxury of choice), too much artificial light and takes too much time

EatenByZombies Fri 17-May-13 23:40:57

I shop almost entirely at Lidl, too, and only go into mainstream shops to buy stuff that's not available in Lidl (hah!). I don't think it's bad. It means once the squeeze eases off, you'll be better off than some because they'll be back buying from Savacenter and you'll still be buying cheep stuff at Lidl grin

Startail Fri 17-May-13 23:43:16

I give you our ASDA. It was big, they extended it. But now the aisles are staggered and there are funny little off shoots. You can't just zig zag up and down it. It takes forever.

It gives me the rage.

craftycottontail Fri 17-May-13 23:45:25

YANBU - since switching to online shopping I can't cope with any supermarkets! Give me my laptop and list of favourites/previous orders any day.

The only time I want to venture into a supermarket is when I need some different meal ideas.

mamaduckbone Fri 17-May-13 23:50:49

I tried to do our weekly stop at asda last night - it was hell. Give me aldi any day...I can get everything we need for a week in half an hour.
The thing that pissed me off most was the checkout -no I don't want help packing just GET A BLOODY MOVE ON!

mixedpeel Sat 18-May-13 00:07:02

God I love Lidl too. They were naughty with their bakery pretzels though - got us hooked the other month with a 2 for 50p offer while they were 39p, and now they're 45p for one.

Easier, quicker shopping, and loads of it is nicer stuff too, tbh, especially the fruit and veg.

And back to pretzels, but the crunchy snack version this time - Crusti Croc pretzels rule ok.

Oh, and their cropped leggings this week are really good, too btw.

olibeansmummy Sat 18-May-13 00:25:44

I'm the same since we switched to Aldi. I also strop at the prices in normal supermarkets now!

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 18-May-13 00:29:58

Gawd yes, I only shop in Tesco / Sainsbury's when I'm feeling flush.

I really object to paying £2.30 for mediocre bacon when I know I can get fab bacon in Lidl for the same price. Ditto ham, orange juice, cheese. etc.

samithesausage Sat 18-May-13 01:00:34

Lidl fan here too. Since they discontinued huggies nappies, I switched to lidl's own brand. In the local metro shops I tend to get cross at the price of porridge and squash! Also biscuits, 23p for rich teas!
Ds2 will only eat the lidls cold tinned potatoes instead of oven chips though.

EatenByZombies Sun 19-May-13 01:55:40

Oh lawd, Crusti Croc salted twister snacks from Lidl...
<drool>

greenfolder Sun 19-May-13 09:15:52

am a aldi convert. can get a box of 12 tins for toms for less than £4- local tesco express sells them for a quid each.

popped into mahosive sainsburys to get something for tea- chicken tonight jar £1.99- i just laughed and kept walking

Thumbtack Sun 19-May-13 09:36:35

Sacreblue first post regarding had me stitches!

Thumbtack Sun 19-May-13 09:39:44

*regarding 'lets off'

Hilarious

CecilyP Sun 19-May-13 09:50:41

If you can get all the groceries you want in Lidl, you are definitely resourceful. I absolutely hate the larger supermarkets; you have to walk miles just to get a few groceries, but luckily we have a small Tesco (regarded as big when it opened) and a Co-op which are both managable and rarely change their layouts, so I can cope with that.

BenjaminButton172 Sun 19-May-13 09:52:02

I dont see the problem. I shop around so i can go from asda to lidl to poundland.

Sometimes i will just stick to asda. I can do a monthly shop in asda, in and out in half an hour.

ParadiseChick Sun 19-May-13 09:56:10

I would struggle to get a full shop in lidl but manage in Aldi no problem!

BreeVanDerTramp Sun 19-May-13 10:10:01

I am the same, I think Lidl is fab and when 'the squeeze' is over when the DC leave home I will continue to shop there and spend the extra on holidays and good wine!

I hate the feeling I get coming out of a big supermarket having given them 90% of our budget sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now