Talk

Advanced search

To think this has got to be taking pink for girls too far???

(10 Posts)
unlucky83 Thu 16-May-13 17:23:30

Looking at screwfix - need a new dustmask for DIY...
Was also wondering if they do 'ladies' boiler suits. I have an old one someone gave me for mucky jobs - it has a zip open fly for the blokes but its a PIA if us ladies need a wee - nearly wet myself today as put it off so long..
Then I saw what for some reason I find really offensive
They have 'ladies work boots' with a link picture showing they have lovely pink trim on the soles ....FGS ...(if you click the link you get stand dewalt ones - no pink!)
AIBU to feel like this ...

YAB utterly U and ridiculous, its a colour, there are lots of boots without pink and some with it. Big deal, should we ban pink from everything so people don't get offended by the mere thought of pink on something designed for a female?

hotcrosbum Thu 16-May-13 17:32:12

I hate it, I hate pink and I hated pink when I was a little girl.

Luckily, I have a boy so I haven't had to deal with the onslaught of pink shite. (Although he was 'in love' with a barbie when he was little and had to have her and her sports car. But at least that was purple).

Sirzy Thu 16-May-13 17:34:01

A bit of trim on the soles I wouldn't be bothered about. If the whole boot was pick I could see your point but not for a bit of trim.

HollyBerryBush Thu 16-May-13 17:36:15

YABU

If people don't like pink they won't buy it, if they do they will. Companies do do market research, they don't just sit in an office and think they'll produce a product line that might appeal to certain sectors of society

unlucky83 Thu 16-May-13 17:38:58

But it isn't the fact they have the pink trim that got me grrr ...
It was the fact that it was the link for us girls to realise that is where we need to look IFYKWIM...
(actually I don't think they sell the boots with the pink trim!)

2cats2many Thu 16-May-13 17:42:17

YANBU. It would piss me off too. Why the need to 'feminize' work boots? Why do they need to be assigned a gender?

Sirzy Thu 16-May-13 17:44:00

I am confused now. Your problem is a link to be able to buy boots? I am missing something then.

I am not a fan of the "pink for girls/blue for boys" stuff but I can't get massively upset about this one

I don't get your outrage. Do you mean while searching for ladies boiler suits they put a link on with a related item which was a pair or ladies work boots? Not really seeing the problem there, they even link to things when you are searching for mens, or even unisex items. Shocking, I know.

unlucky83 Thu 16-May-13 18:04:42

It is what 2cats2many is saying
I was looking at 'workwear' in general - and noticed this link to 'ladies footwear'... a kind of look we have something for you girls too ...see the pink!
(Also don't understand why work boots need pink trim...)
Maybe I am just having a sensitive day - or should have posted on the feminist thread...smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now