Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that NHS staff deserve more respect?

(13 Posts)
BaldricksTurnip Thu 16-May-13 16:09:06

I had a general anaesthetic yesterday to have some wisdom teeth out (forgive me if this is a bit rambling I'm on some pretty heavy pain meds) and when I was wheeled from recovery into the ward, a woman patient was actually shouting at the doctor who was looking after me. She was unhappy that a message hasn't been passed on from her husband and had decided to discharge herself. Fair enough to be upset but honestly, I'm lying in a bed so she can see me, on a drip with my mouth full of bloody dressing and she's ranting over me like I'm not even there. This is on top of a dreadful loud family who insisted on eating drinking and swearing in the waiting room in front of everyone else waiting for surgery who were all of us fasting and desperate for something to eat/drink. Is it just me or do some people have absolutely no idea of how to behave? I have had three babies in the same hospital I was at yesterday and every single midwife/nurse/doctor/consultant has been absolutely wonderful and I have been looked after fantastically by lovely people every time. I appreciate that I have been lucky and do not wish to invalidate or denigrate anyone's negative experiences but honestly, I am absolutely grateful to every medical person who has helped me over the years, often in the face of lack of funding resources and time, but who have still given it 110% and put their patients first. Thank you NHS people smile

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 16-May-13 16:32:24

Some people don't know how to behave. I really believe that

EglantinePrice Thu 16-May-13 17:37:04

Yabu.

Yes some do. (and those people sound awful)

However...

Some deserve to be fired on the spot.

Iwishitwouldgetwarmer Thu 16-May-13 17:57:55

Everyone deserves respect until they act otherwise.

littleducks Thu 16-May-13 18:59:11

I agree but I would say that working in the NHS you come across a proportionally greater number of people with mental health problems, substance abuse problems and who are having such an awful/stressful time for all sorts of reasons that they are at breaking point. So I do expect unusual behaviour in hospitals.

littleducks Thu 16-May-13 18:59:50

I agree but I would say that working in the NHS you come across a proportionally greater number of people with mental health problems, substance abuse problems and who are having such an awful/stressful time for all sorts of reasons that they are at breaking point. So I do expect unusual behaviour in hospitals.

BaldricksTurnip Thu 16-May-13 19:08:46

littleducks- true and I would agree with you that people are obviously coming from all walks of life and are often in a dark place for whatever reason. I just feel that a lot of lovely people get treated poorly when the reality is that doctors and nurses are doing an incredible job every day and deserve to feel that they are appreciated.

EstelleGetty Thu 16-May-13 19:10:03

I've been subject to a couple of pretty horrendous (dangerous) mistakes by NHS health professionals, but I would not have the guts to do their jobs in a million years and thank God that they're there, and we don't have to pay through the nose for it.

dandydorset Thu 16-May-13 20:35:11

some people are just bloody rude in general and expect far to much and have a huge sense of entitlement in general

i doubt they save their rudeness just for the NHS

yanbu

Sirzy Thu 16-May-13 20:35:56

Some people don't know how to behave. I really believe that

I agree.

I will never forget when DS was 8 weeks old and needing to be put onto CPAP, to get it done and to stablise him enough to keep him alive took 3 doctors, 4 nurses and 2 HCAs all were busy with one thing or another when a father walks in kicking off because "we have been waiting 5 minutes for a bottle for the baby, surely one of you could have done that instead of all hanging about in here"

stopmovingthefurniture Thu 16-May-13 21:44:20

YB a bit U.
We're not a respectful nation and NHS staff are often the worst offenders. I had a GP appointment this week and came home in tears at the way I was spoken to.

fromparistoberlin Thu 16-May-13 21:53:10

I am a bit miffed with GPs right now TBH

people see either NPs or A and E cos they cant see their GP

But, overall yanbu

Decoy Thu 16-May-13 22:19:55

YANBU to think this woman was rude and out of order.

YABU to think all NHS staff deserve greater respect than anyone else. I've seen too much lack of respect from NHS staff towards patients, so it works both ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now