Talk

Advanced search

That if you find an animal which is clearly lost....

(19 Posts)
startwig1982 Wed 15-May-13 22:55:18

You don't just take it home as a pet!!!
My lovely tortoise escaped from my garden just over a week ago and thanks to lazydog and the power of t'internet, we've tracked him down to where he was last seen.
A woman had him overnight in her garden, put there by a dog walker. He then collected him the next day as a pet for his grandchildren. angry
Now, is it just me, or would you not make some attempt to find the owner? We have posters up and leafleted and I do understand that he may not have seen these, but really? Tortoises are not native to the UK; they certainly do not turn up in fields; they are not wild animals that can be taken from a field as a pet!!!
Surely ianbu to think you might phone the vet/RSPCA/police if you found a foot long tortoise while walking your dog?

startwig1982 Wed 15-May-13 22:56:30

Sorry for the rant, just had a very disappointing and frustrating few days.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 15-May-13 22:58:02

So glad he is safe. I used to have a tortoise but he ran off all the time. I lid you not.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 15-May-13 22:58:14

Kid

startwig1982 Wed 15-May-13 22:59:21

Well that's the thing. Although he's been found, he's not been found by us and we have no idea who this bloke is!

LegoAcupuncture Wed 15-May-13 22:59:45

YANBU! I hope you get him back.

The people who live three doors down have a tortoise in his 50s who likes to wander into our garden for the weeds and I'd never dream of keeping him!

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 15-May-13 23:02:12

You need to get him back. Not many people know how to look after a tortoise. Sorry not helpful.

startwig1982 Wed 15-May-13 23:03:59

I'm doing all I can. I spoke to the police tonight (on non emergency number) as we have a partial number plate, so they are aware. It is technically theft and I'm so desperate for him to be back with us!

Floralnomad Wed 15-May-13 23:04:37

Personally I'd contact the local paper and see if they'll run a story . Also did the woman who had him overnight know what sort of dog it was as that would narrow it down . Do you have a small child that can look distressed for a photo in the paper ? Hope you get him back .

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 15-May-13 23:08:28

Partial number plate on the torty? Liking the idea of sad child in the local paper. Feel sad about my torty now. He never came back. But he was on a mission.

Lovesabadboy Wed 15-May-13 23:14:43

That is terrible Startwig. sad

I also wonder if he is aware of how very expensive tortoises are and is rubbing his hands with glee. hmm

I think going to the local paper is a great idea.
Don't give up on this...I bet he knows very well that he could easily have found out who the owner was - he just didn't want to. angry

Floralnomad Wed 15-May-13 23:19:32

If you do go to the press make sure you mention the number plate and that you've told the police ,it may just worry someone enough to give him back . Also make sure you say that he's got distinguishing features or a tattoo or chip , even if he hasn't .

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 15-May-13 23:19:42

Yes...local paper and talking and leafleting to the area this man is from. What a horrible thing to do. Everyone knows tortoises are rare and a bit spesh.

Mosschops30 Wed 15-May-13 23:33:23

Facebook seems to be very popular for lost animals (or people) at the moment

ExitPursuedByABear Thu 16-May-13 12:19:02

Any news?

DeWe Thu 16-May-13 13:09:33

Our tortoise ran away when we were little and we never got him back despite advertising. What was very irritating is that previously we had found a tortoise and gone to a lot of effort to reunite it with its owner.

chicaguapa Thu 16-May-13 13:29:27

Awwww! I love tortoises!

Definitely go to the local press, because the man will have friends & neighbours will know that he has your tortoise. I'm sure he's told someone that he found a tortoise for his dgc and someone's bound to see it in the paper and put pressure on him to return him.

Manchesterhistorygirl Thu 16-May-13 13:30:59

You are not being unreasonable! I have found many dogs, I think I have some dog homing becon in my head, and always, always register them with the dogs home, etc. we've ended up keeping two and two went home!

WileyRoadRunner Thu 16-May-13 13:51:10

Yes local Facebook sites are very good for this sort of thing - think local selling sites and get them to share the info.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: