Talk

Advanced search

To think it's really quite sad that babies in handknitted stuff are such a novelty now?

(64 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Wed 15-May-13 20:15:45

I know there was a thread about baby clothes that took a bit of a sidetrack into knitted cardies the other day - this kind of follows on from that.

My mum is an insanely prolific knitter - a parcel arrives for one or other of the girls every week or fortnight with a cardie or jumper knitted that she knows will coordinate with something or other in their wardrobe. They're really nice (especially the red sparkly one that keeps the eldest amused for hours trying to pick up bits of sparkly that's embedded into the yarn with her fingers, thus stopping her from her major pastimes of trying to find ways to injure herself or give me grey hair) so especially now the weather's warming up a bit (well sort of!) I do tend to have the eldest out in just a cardie and pushchair cosytoes a lot.

Had both of them in cardies today and I seriously must have been stopped about 20 times on the way down the local high street by people commenting how rare and nice it was to see babies in proper knitted cardigans... just found that quite sad that it's regarded as SO unusual these days.

I'm one of the unable to knit masses though - mum could never really teach me as she knits left handedly... I can sew and do all sorts in that respect but have to delegate the knitting to her.

squeakytoy Wed 15-May-13 20:19:54

It is the time and expense as well as it being a dying art..

I can knit but I lose patience and give up long before the first sleeve of an item is finished..

Numberlock Wed 15-May-13 20:19:56

I agree. I'm 45 and my eldest two are 17 and I knitted for them as babies.

Sad how some skills/traditions fade away.

Perhaps I could knit them both a nice jumper for their 18th birthdays. grin

CaptainSweatPants Wed 15-May-13 20:21:00

I just remember knitted stuff as itchy when I was a kid, and in hideous coours ( thanks Gran!)

catgirl1976 Wed 15-May-13 20:21:03

DM knitted some lovely things for DS

I loved them and will treasure them

YANBU

ilikehomecookedfood Wed 15-May-13 20:23:59

While I love hand-knitted clothes I think "sad" is a bit - extreme? I can't knit. I don't have any relatives who can knit. My baby therefore probably won't be in hand-knitted clothes but they will be dry, fed, warm, clean and loved.

I think being sad knitting is a dying art and being sad for babies wearing clothes from Next are different things really.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Wed 15-May-13 20:24:39

My poor DS is frequently sporting a pair of hand knitted overalls or the like. He looks cute and my 96 year old Nan is still a fantastic knitter. DD has some dresses too. I love them in hand knitted stuff. But nice yarn is so expensive!

lemontwist Wed 15-May-13 20:25:35

I'm so lucky that I've had quite a few lovely hand-knitted things for my DSs. My DM knits a lot, my MIL has re started knitting recently and DH's aunt has made a couple of bits and bobs. The mum of a good friend of mine, who so far has chosen to remain childless, has channelled the granny knitting urge to send some lovely things too. Another friend commented that my two are about the only kids she ever sees wearing hand-knitted woolies.

MiaowTheCat Wed 15-May-13 20:27:42

"Perhaps I could knit them both a nice jumper for their 18th birthdays"

If they turn out like my brother you'd regret it - he's driving my mother to distraction texting her repeated knitted jumper requests now since he's decided that nice hairy jumpers fit in with the nice hairy social conscience warrior image he's trying to portray. She's fit to throttle him with his short notice requests!

It was just the sheer number of people who stopped us today that got me with it all (and DD1 was actually wearning Next under the knitted cardie!)

HerrenaLovesStarTrek Wed 15-May-13 20:27:43

I knit loads of stuff for my kids too much some might say and I'm 31, so it hasn't died out yet! My ambition is to one day make something that doesn't look, ahem, 'rustic' grin

I do really rate knitted cardis for little babies as they tend to be snuggly and warm and have a bit of stretch in them. If you want some then I've seen loads in charity shops in my town....

Dogsmom Wed 15-May-13 20:29:08

I've got a 10 week old daughter and have been given about 8 hand knitted cardigans by some of my customers and she gets compliments every time she wears one whereas nobody comments on the normal shop bought ones.
They were a godsend in the early weeks when we had all that snow as they are much warmer than any of the others.

deemented Wed 15-May-13 20:29:16

My lot are always in hand knitted things. Manshapes ma is a prolific knitter and i love the fact that she can knock us out a lovely cardi in an afternoon - and she loves to see the kids wearing her makes.

It's saved us loads of money as the youngest mostly wears knitted longies or skirties over her nappies, and they can be really expensieve custom made.

Numberlock Wed 15-May-13 20:29:53

Thanks for the warning Miaouw!

HairyWorm Wed 15-May-13 20:30:21

I love knitting but preparing for new arrival, study and work and spending too long reading AIBU threads has left me with no time to knit for baby. Have placed an order with MIL and Aunts who are luckily gagging to get knitting for LO! I love hand knitted stuff.

JustABitDotty Wed 15-May-13 20:30:36

My grandmother loves knitting for my dd, she must have a different colour for the rainbow smile

To be fair I love to see a baby in a sleepsuit and a knitted cardigan rather than say, leopard print hot pants. Let babies be babies..

kikid Wed 15-May-13 20:32:03

I think knitting has had a bit of a revival lately though. I see plenty of babies sporting
lots of hand knitted cardi/booties at local nct groups.
They are lovely, I do like to see a knitted outfit!

needaholidaynow Wed 15-May-13 20:32:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HaudYerWheest Wed 15-May-13 20:33:56

We live in a region that had a huge knitwear industry and every woman above a certain age can knit and does knit especially when someone is expecting a baby. It's more of a novelty to see a baby in non knitted cardigans hats etc!
I got given so much knitted clothes and blankets for my DD there are some that I haven't even managed to get on her before they were too small.
I have to say I think a newborn looks gorgeous in a wee cardi and hat smile

NatashaBee Wed 15-May-13 20:34:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LemonsLimes Wed 15-May-13 20:34:54

My mum's late friend knitted my dd some beautiful cardis when they were little. My 6 year old has one she still wears sometimes. They are beautiful. Don't feel sad though, just enjoy the extra attention you get because they are less common now. I'm sure knitted stuff won't ever die out completely, but people may have to buy it online rather than having a relative knitting it as a gift!

peachypips Wed 15-May-13 20:35:15

My DS was wearing a cardy today that belonged to my brother and is 30 yrs old. So although wool is expensive it lasts generations! I am going to save it for my DGC.

Donnadoon Wed 15-May-13 20:35:28

All mine wear their Nans knitted jumpers and cardys ! Warm and free... Love them !

RatRatRat Wed 15-May-13 20:37:25

All the nannas here knit too, my own and my friends' dc have always had drawers full of home knitted stuff, it's quite common around here.

shellsocks Wed 15-May-13 20:40:17

My DM knits for my DS and we also get lots of comments, it's lovely smile

I didn't put cardis on dd1 as i was young and wayyy 'too cool' to 'do that to my child' hmm fast forward 6 years ds had a beautiful blue one knitted by retired ladies and sold at my local hospital for £3!! A pop to raise money for preemies.

Now expecting dd2 and am actually looking forward to going into hospital just to buy them again smile

Yanbu at all they are lovely i wish i believed that 8 years ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now