Talk

Advanced search

to pour myself a gin and tonic and not a glass of bleach

(6 Posts)
pingusmumtoo Wed 15-May-13 18:48:10

I have just put my 4.5 year old DS to bed with no tea having dragged (literally) him back from his swimming class that he didn't go to after yet another episode of not listening, then dawdling, then having a strop (where he just sits on the floor ignoring everything said to him and refusing to speak) because his best friend had gone on ahead without him.
So I tried to jolly him along, talked to him, tried to reason with him then counted to ten and told him to decide what he was going to do (home or swimming) still no response so I smacked him on the bum and then carried him over my shoulder halfway home and dragged him the rest.
Then I got a black bin bag and put his Lego in it. Then I put him in his room where he refused to get into his pyjamas and told him no tea no milk no tv
Came downstairs and had a cry and a cigarette in the garden, left a message for his dad telling him what happened, took a deep breath and went back upstairs to talk to DS
He was fast asleep!
So now I feel even worse because he was obviously knackered and I smacked him and threw his Lego away
I am a bad mummy

everlong Wed 15-May-13 18:54:08

Ah you're not.

It's hard. He's only little and probably shattered being at school then swimming.

Go in and kiss him, I know he's asleep but he'll still know.

Then have your gin.

BMW6 Wed 15-May-13 19:02:16

You are NOT a bad Mum. You just had a bad day.

Have G & T rather than bleach. Bleach tastes foul and then you have to go to hospital to have your stomach pumped. And I should know (aged 6 at the time) My poor Mum........

Swishyswashy Wed 15-May-13 19:16:45

Don't worry, we have all been there. Children can be so infuriating and it's impossible to be the perfect mother all the time. There is no point in beating yourself up over it, give him a big kiss, have a G&T and a sit down and say sorry in the morning. It won't have done any permanent damage and start again in the morning. My mum is a lovely, kind mum who has brought up four normal, well- balanced people who all get on well with each other and with the people around them, but I remember her sometimes really losing her temper with us all. So don't worry too much. I'm sure you are a good mother. None of us is perfect.

hotbot Wed 15-May-13 20:44:56

We have had exactly the same night as you, but with no swimming for 3yr old ds..... This has happened 3night running and my lovely polite adorable little boy is aso vile at nursery. Dh nd I both want to cry.
You are not alone

BestParentEver Thu 16-May-13 00:22:34

ERM seriously? Bleach? Do you need us to tell you that's an over reaction?
Stay safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now