Talk

Advanced search

Am I crazy to consider...

(14 Posts)
moanymandy Wed 15-May-13 18:01:17

Taking a 3 year old and 2 month old to Edinburgh for Hogmanay????

PIL will be celebrating 40 years together this new year and we were thinking of doing a family trip away. I love the thought of going to Edinbrugh for Hogmanay but I have a feeling with 2 small dc it will just be what nightmares are made of!

We were planning to book apartment/house and obvously wony be partying away but still AIBU?

Has anyone been would you reccomend rethinking our destination?

WorraLiberty Wed 15-May-13 18:05:43

If you're booking an apartment/house and not partying...how will it be different?

Or are you worried about the travel aspect?

moanymandy Wed 15-May-13 18:13:51

I was hoping to go the the party on Princes street see the fireworks perhaps the torchlight procession etc but not sure if this will be feasible with the dc. Im hoping DS will sleep in pushchair when he has had enough although I think he will want to party away! I will carry baby dc in sling.
Ive never been so not sure if it will be child friendly?

Travel aside as this on its own is almost enough to put me off! grin

teenagetantrums Wed 15-May-13 18:18:53

not the best place for a pushchair really, will be packed with pissed people...I wouldn't baby in a sling maybe as long as you don't get cross with people pushing you..

WorraLiberty Wed 15-May-13 18:21:35

I've never been but I would have thought it would be packed with a lot of drunk people and maybe a bit too much?

Are there any online reviews/experiences you can read perhaps?

Tailtwister Wed 15-May-13 18:22:26

I wouldn't unless you're going to be staying in the apartment/house. Princess st at Hogmany is really busy and there's no way I would take small children there. Even in the early evening people are likely to be very pissed, it's crowded and usually freezing. I would say that hiring a house somewhere in the countryside would be better. Have a lovely family meal, get the kids off to bed and a nice evening with a few drinks.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 15-May-13 18:25:25

Go to Edinburgh by all means, but for pity's sake don't take a baby and a toddler to the biggest Scottish piss up of the year and to watch fireworks!

Are you mad?

flangledoodle Wed 15-May-13 18:28:02

I'm with clouds - you are, I'm afraid, quite mad.

maddening Wed 15-May-13 18:30:54

There are more bits than just the street party - which are indoors so it's better if it's raining - I think you still get access to st party included with those tickets.

If you got the right apartment you might have a view of the fireworks if you ended up back there.

There are lots of events for days before and after that are geared for families too - have a look at the website.

zoobaby Wed 15-May-13 18:32:01

Not to mention your DCs will be poor little frozen mites.

thistlelicker Wed 15-May-13 18:32:18

It's gonna be heaving! Cramped! Potentially raining! And freezing.... As a parent do u think that's reasonable????

clattypatty Wed 15-May-13 18:32:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maddening Wed 15-May-13 18:33:09

Ps if you do go stay away from the main bits as that is crowded - I think the party in the gardens might be better or the assembly rooms and I think they have a caligh somewhere roo.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 15-May-13 18:36:51

Definitely don't go to the Hogmanay party with kids.
There are other events though as the celebrations last a few days.
I took ds to the torchlight procession when he was about 5 I think, there were loads of families and at that time a big funfair.
Don't know if that's still the case though.
I'm sure there are other places to see the fireworks outside Princes Street too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now