Talk

Advanced search

to knock at new neighbours and ask them to turn the bloody techno music down?

(16 Posts)
webminx Wed 15-May-13 17:04:31

New neighbours moved in today - since 3pm (it's now 5pm) they have been playing techno at TOP VOLUME. It's a mid-terrace house and I work from home so have had to tolerate this for two hours now, while trying to work. On one hand, don't want to get off to a bad start with them but on the other hand, feel that explaining the situation to them now from the off might help avoid future problems. I'll be collecting my DS from nursery soon and his bedtime is 7pm so also considering leaving it til then but if it continues past 7pm I'll have to do something as it's really THUMPING bass through the walls all over the house - there's no escape!
WWYD - go round now? Later if it continues? Not at all and hope it's a one-off, moving-in-day madness?

jennymac Wed 15-May-13 17:07:15

I really really feel for you. We were in a similar situation a few years ago. Not so much during the day but music all night at weekends. Drove us batty and we felt that we couldn't look forward to our weekends at all because of it.
I would go round and say that you work from home and could they please turn the music down.

Technotropic Wed 15-May-13 17:09:23

YABU but then I am obviously biased wink.

Seriously, start taking notes now for future use and log times etc. Do you know the landlord or agent?

I would go round if this persists and kindly have a word before it gets out of hand.

Best of luck

quesadilla Wed 15-May-13 17:15:47

You have my sympathy, several years ago I lived immediately underneath a guy who fancied himself as a DJ and used to come back from the pub every night and crank up awful trance/techno music until 2 or 3 in the morning. You have to walk quite a tricky line with this. If you do it right off the bat on their first day you will get their backs up. On the other hand you need to set a precedent quite early on.

I would leave it for today - they may just be letting their hair down in the new place. If it looks to be a pattern go around and make it clear in a firm but friendly way that you work from home and have kids so you hope they understand that they aren't going to be able to do this routinely.

Good luck.

webminx Wed 15-May-13 17:28:08

I think maybe the parents have gone out and it's just the young lad in... There were 2 cars outside earlier and now there's only one. So hopefully when they get home, this will stop? Hopefully. Agree probably best to leave for today if at all possible (that's definitely my preference - they've just moved in after all --and I am crap with confrontation--) fingers crossed by 7pm it'll be off, so I can avoid having to deal with it today.

CwtchesAndCuddles Wed 15-May-13 17:29:34

If its a mid terrace then the neighbours on the other side will have the same problem, can you speak to them and approach the new neighbour together?

marjproops Wed 15-May-13 17:39:37

if theyve just moved in they should, if they were considerate, introduce themselves to you and excuse that there may be 'moving in' noises.

not techno stuff though. thats just anti-social from the get go, its a f** mid terrace, not a detatched hut in the middle of a field.

Id tell thenm today , get neighbour on other side with you.

I did that with new neighbour and his diying and so far he hasnt been TOO bad siince.

LadyVoldemort Wed 15-May-13 17:52:31

I'd leave it for today. If it carries on to 6.30 I'd be tempted to go round and explain your DC are going to bed soon.

Sallyingforth Wed 15-May-13 17:52:38

Don't say you want them to turn it down because you work from home or you are trying to settle the kids. That sounds like you are asking for special treatment and you are the one out of step, not them. If it's too loud just say that it's too loud and insist that they must turn it down.
Also start keeping a diary of the noise immediately from day 1 so that you have a record for the council if you have to involve them.

purplewithred Wed 15-May-13 18:02:08

'You probably don't realise but the sound of your music is really loud in my house and (house on other side). Could you turn it down a bit please?"

And like Sally says, don't mention the kids or working from home, his noisy music would be unreasonable under any circumstances.

webminx Wed 15-May-13 18:18:33

Thanks all - good thinking re special circumstances - must address his behaviour as the issue, not my personal situation!
Also good idea re other neighbours - they're not home from work yet but I imagine they'll take a similarly dim view if this racket continues into the night! Have started a log on the kitchen calendar, in case this goes on long term...

Well, he's turned it way down to a much more tolerable level but is still playing it. Not sure if this is in response to my passive aggressive slamming of cupboard doors and glaring vengefully at dividing wall, or his ears starting to bleed...

AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 15-May-13 18:23:03

If they've just moved in, I'd nip it in the bud now! Pop round with some flowers/bottle of wine/chocolates/whatever as a moving in pressie and explain with a smile that whilst he probably doesn't realise it, the music comes through the walls smile Are they rented or owned properties? We put soundproofing in and, as I've bored people many a time before, I'll just say taht it changed my life!

Tabliope Wed 15-May-13 18:44:14

AvonCalling - do you mind giving me some details on the soundproofing? What i's called and a rough estimate of how much it costs? A recommendation that it works is great as I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost.

webminx Wed 15-May-13 18:47:37

Ooh I'd also be interested in hearing more about the soundproofing, Avon. The music is now at a v reasonable volume, btw (basically, ever since DH came home, so I now appear totally unhinged as spent best part of afternoon texting him to say how bloody loud it was!)...

webminx Thu 16-May-13 15:46:50

OH MY GOD - here we go again! It's the mum that's the techno fan! Have gone round and politely asked her to turn it down as is v loud from our side (she prob doesn't realize etc.) and she said no problem. She has indeed turned it down so it's a lot more reasonable...
Was actually terrified of doing that (and was my first AIBU!), which is utterly ridiculous and now feeling wee bit proud of myself. Thanks all for the input - still interested in the details of that soundproofing though, AvonCalling, if you're still about!

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 16-May-13 17:44:51

Tabliope and webminx, I'll PM you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now