Talk

Advanced search

To go for this interview?

(10 Posts)
Worriedmumofan8yearoldgirl Wed 15-May-13 15:13:17

I have an interview for my dream job next week and really want to go for it BUT we are TTC at the moment and if I get it I lose any maternity benefits I've built up in my current job (been here 5 years and terms and conditions are superb) and I go back to basics as a new start as its a new company.

I really really want this job though!!

But I lose any ability to have a decent mat leave

But did I mention I really want the job?

Stuck on this one!

I'm at work at the moment so won't be able to reply until later so apologies for disappearing!

Groovee Wed 15-May-13 15:15:59

Well my opinion is always, go for it, what's for you won't go past you.

valiumredhead Wed 15-May-13 15:16:01

I wouldn't be looking to change jobs if I was ttc tbh.

Emsmaman Wed 15-May-13 15:18:21

As long as you're not pregnant when you start the job you would still qualify for SMP. If you are pregnant when you start the job you would still qualify for MA. You just wouldn't necessarily get enhanced mat leave. I would look at the bigger picture: which job is going to be easier/better to return to with a baby/young child? Which is going to provide the most flexibility/cover the costs of childcare longterm/give you most job satisfaction. TBH I think it will be harder to secure your dream job with a baby or young child so I think you should go for it.

FWIW I spent 5 years in a company building up goodwill (or so I thought) to get made redundant at 5 months pregnant, before the cut off where they would have had to pay me maternity leave - so I ended up on MA. So anything can happen really!

Pilgit Wed 15-May-13 15:54:13

ttc may take a long time.I wouldn't put my life on hold. good luck with the interview!

KellyElly Wed 15-May-13 16:45:10

I wouldn't be looking to change jobs if I was ttc tbh. < This.

mumofweeboys Wed 15-May-13 17:38:48

Depends if you can survive on smp if u get new job and become pregnant.

maddening Wed 15-May-13 19:01:00

I would apply for the job and make that decision if you got it.

Also if you took a couple of years to conceive then you'd be gutted you didn't go for it.

OwlinaTree Wed 15-May-13 19:06:32

Go for the job. We've been trying for years to start a family. I'd be really annoyed if i was stuck in a job i didn't enjoy too. Don't put your life on hold. If you got the job you could always stop ttc for a few weeks until the job started?

Nodney Wed 15-May-13 19:12:16

100% go for the job. As another poster has said, ttc can take ages. You can work out the details when/if you need to and you might regret not going for it. Good luck if you do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now