Talk

Advanced search

to wonder where on earth to take 22 year old niece in Birmingham

(41 Posts)
waterwaterwater Wed 15-May-13 14:43:35

Coming to stay with me next week for a few days - nice girl - think i need to make an effort to take her a few places - any ideas apart from the Bull Ring?

Her DF, my DB, says she'll be happy enough staring at her phone and laptop, but I think he's BU and I should show her some sights, but not sure where they are myself hmm

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 15-May-13 14:44:40

Sights... Birmingham... no, not getting anything...

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 15-May-13 14:44:53

grin

specialsubject Wed 15-May-13 14:48:02

yes, I fear so. Time to get out.

Ironbridge. Chester. Shrewsbury. The delights of nearby North Wales and Shropshire.

worldgonecrazy Wed 15-May-13 14:50:05

Chinese Quarter/Rag Market area for a wander? Rainbow Quarter can be good at night time if you want to go out for a few drinks.

I guess it depends what she's into. I loved museums and art galleries, even at that age, so I would also take her to the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.

You could have a girly day out - make up done at MAC, then wander around Bull Ring, have cocktails at one of the posh hotels (Hotel du Vin have a fabulous cocktail maker).

waterwaterwater Wed 15-May-13 14:55:40

world Make up at MAC? Are we talking Midland Art Centre or at Debenhams or somewhere?

Silverlace Wed 15-May-13 15:05:26

Jewellery Quarter. Lots of interesting shops selling new and vintage as well as an interesting museum.

LoveItLongTime Wed 15-May-13 15:08:52

Get her drunk on Broad Street.

Or, for a more upmarket and amazing experience, the Jam House. A great night out.

Daytime? Hmmm.

Broad Street?

meyersfan Wed 15-May-13 15:10:12

I love Birmingham. I'd suggest Bullring, wander over to the Mailbox through the city centre (some great restaurants there too), stopping off around the canals/Brindley Place and also en route you could stop off at the (free) Birmingham Museum that Worldgone suggested. It is a really nice compact city centre to wander around in and take lots of cofee breaks!

Doubtfuldaphne Wed 15-May-13 15:29:48

China towns peach garden for lunch- it's so amazing! It's like stepping in to china for an hour!
The markets and shops are plenty to fill a whole day there really smile

Buzzardbird Wed 15-May-13 15:52:19

Star City, bit of bowling and Cinema and a Nandos afterwards?

BlueberryHill Wed 15-May-13 16:13:52

Harvey Nics or Selfridges?

Bue Wed 15-May-13 16:14:59

Museum of the jewellery quarter is meant to be really interesting

worldgonecrazy Wed 15-May-13 16:17:09

MAC at Selfridges - you will need to book ahead though. It does cost but you get the equivalent back in make up.

Skelacia Wed 15-May-13 16:22:28

Afternoon tea at Hotel du Vin is yummy and one of the cheapest in town. The building used to be an eye hospital so it's pretty. Unlike the rip off cube that is Harvey Nicholls! (I've been working my way round Birmingham's afternoon tea spots with a friend grin)

Triumphoveradversity Wed 15-May-13 16:23:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Wed 15-May-13 16:24:31

Bullring
Markets
Mailbox
Canals
A quick wander through the Art Gallery to the Edwardian Tea Rooms
Chinese Quarter
Lickey Hills or Sutton Park (not sure which side you are on), Nature Centre is still lovely for a wander, even as an adult
Cadbury World
Jewellery Quarter
(?Is the Library 'tours of what is to be' bit open yet?)
There's an open top bus tour
2 Cathedrals
Victoria Square and Centenary Square
ThinkTank
BMAG has 7 properties if she's into history or just tea rooms
Depending where she's from, so if she's seen them before it's then not a long trek to Stratford / Warwick or Warwick Castle / Ironbridge / Cosford Air Museum / Coventry

ephemeralfairy Wed 15-May-13 16:25:59

I love the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, esp. the contemporary stuff in the Gas Hall. Is the Ikon Gallery still going?
This was a few years back but there was a brilliant weekend vintage market in the Custard Factory in Digbeth....
Oh and yes the museum of the Jewellery Quarter is great.
Also has the Library of Birmingham opened yet? I'd love to go there but then I am training to be a librarian so I fully get that others may not share my excitement. grin
Erm...Botanical Gardens in Edgbaston? The Barber Institute at the uni?
I realise this is all a bit worthy and cultural so yeah, I second Selfridges.
I love Brum.

gordyslovesheep Wed 15-May-13 16:27:08

Brindley Place
The Mac
Birmingham Museum
Drayton Manor grin
The Bull Ring
The Botanical Gardens

and basically, yes, everything Backforgood said grin

Buzzardbird Wed 15-May-13 16:59:53

Clent Hills are lovely with plenty of gastro pubs to visit at end of walk.

thebody Wed 15-May-13 17:05:21

All the above birmingham is fantastic.

We live 12 miles from the city centre and have the beautiful Lickey Hills outside our door.

Birmingham city centre is one of the most diverse in the country, after London, and far far friendlier.

UtterflyButterfly Wed 15-May-13 17:18:56

I'm so jealous. DD was at uni in Birmingham and we used to love to visit her there. It's really just a buzzing place altogether. See if there's anything on at the Symphony Hall or Hippodrome? but as long as the weather's nice, walking round the canal area and jewellery quarter is great and I love the Botanical gardens - not every 22 year old's cup of tea but a lovely place for a picnic if the weather's good.

ConferencePear Wed 15-May-13 17:37:42

It depends what she is interested in - the Art Gallery has one of the finest collections of pre-raphealite(sp?) paintings anywhere.

laloue Wed 15-May-13 18:56:41

triumphoveradversity!! THANKYOU!! I have spent years (literally) trying to remember the name of Snobs - we're talking twenty years back for me.You can jump on a train at Snow Hill and be in Leamington, Warwick or Solihull in no time - all with their different appeals. But Brum itself is great and I add another vote for Hotel du Vin, or Fiesta del Asado Argentinian restaurant with cocktail bar on Hagley Road (but only if you REALLY like meat!).

waterwaterwater Wed 15-May-13 19:27:25

So many ideas! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now