Talk

Advanced search

Worried about neglect

(31 Posts)
LolaViola Wed 15-May-13 13:45:18

We recently got new neighbours. They share a path and back garden with us. They constantly leave their 5yo son in the back garden (saying they can see him from the window) and i've often had to bring him back home as he has managed to open the gate and wonder off down the front street which is next to a main road. Their son also has a skin condition which they leave untreated and is still in nappies at home because they can't be bothered to take him to the toilet (this was by their own admission). He regularly poo's himself and they don't change him. When I offered him an apple he said he didn't know what it was but was willing to try (maybe a fib? but he seemed serious). Sometimes the little boy misses school because his parents can't be bothered to take him (which is less than five minutes away by foot). It's getting to the point were I don't want to go into our shared back garden because their son constantly shouts and screams at my 3yo DD but I feel sorry for him because he is always dirty and by himself.
What would you do in my situation?

LolaViola Wed 15-May-13 13:45:57

AIBU or is what i've described neglect?

CatelynStark Wed 15-May-13 13:48:04

Ring SS now. The poor little mite.

EhricLovesTeamQhuay Wed 15-May-13 13:48:36

Call social services, obviously.

DionFortune Wed 15-May-13 13:50:07

Ring SS. Ring them now.

LolaViola Wed 15-May-13 13:56:21

Do I call SS or the NSPCC? I've never had to report something before and I don't want trouble at my door as I have my own DD to think of. (That comes across as shallow but i'm so worried)

squoosh Wed 15-May-13 13:56:55

Poor little soul. Call SS for definite.

EhricLovesTeamQhuay Wed 15-May-13 13:57:55

Call social services, don't bother with the nspcc. You can remain anonymous.

toffeelolly Wed 15-May-13 13:58:00

This is terrible, poor little thing I would ring and report this now.

notapizzaeater Wed 15-May-13 13:58:14

Phone SS or the school and alert someone - poor little love

MiniTheMinx Wed 15-May-13 14:00:21

Poor Boy, yes ring SS, what you describe is neglect. I recently rang in respect of my friend (she wasn't coping, children suffering) they do not pass on your details. In fact, you are not obliged to tell SS who you are and they still have to investigate.

LolaViola Wed 15-May-13 14:01:01

I'm ringing SS now. Thank you for the support.

squoosh Wed 15-May-13 14:01:30

You're doing the right thing!

FannyFifer Wed 15-May-13 14:03:34

Glad you are ringing Social Services., poor wee chap. hmm

theDudesmummy Wed 15-May-13 14:04:28

Definitely the right thing to do without delay

spiderlight Wed 15-May-13 14:05:12

Poor little lad sad

MrsMarigold Wed 15-May-13 14:07:14

Poor chap - nappies at five and to not know what an apple was - it's terrible. Well done hopefully he'll stand a better chance now SS are involved.

Cakebaker35 Wed 15-May-13 14:11:30

Poor little thing, well done you for phoning SS. Be interested to hear how you get on.

UpTheFRIGGinDuff Wed 15-May-13 15:52:22

You are doing The Right thing.

That boy needs someone to say something.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 15-May-13 15:54:51

I say this on EVERY thread like this. You are not qualified to judge, the SWs are. If you think there might be a reason to report, REPORT. The SWs will be able to investigate.

Always report if you are worried. You have a moral and legal duty to do it. Rant over.

Well done OP on reporting. thanks

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Wed 15-May-13 15:55:05

I hope SS were helpful OP. Well done for doing the right thing.

LEMisdisappointed Wed 15-May-13 15:59:22

You have done the right thing, the parents might be struggling and the SS will be able to help, although if the lad misses school and is still in nappies they may well already be on their books. Could he have some sort of SN that they haven't told you about?

quesadilla Wed 15-May-13 16:01:41

It's blatant neglect. No question. Report it now.

quesadilla Wed 15-May-13 16:02:46

Sorry, x post. Well done.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 15-May-13 16:04:19

Well done for reporting this. I hope help arrives soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now