Talk

Advanced search

to want my GP to take me seriously?

(12 Posts)
icklemssunshine1 Wed 15-May-13 10:47:08

Hi all,

Have posted in 'talk' but haven't had a response yet so thought if try here!

I had an ERPC following a MMC in Feb & still haven't had a period. My GP says this is down to stress as I'm waiting to have steroid injections & possible surgery for 2 slipped discs (only discovered after MC despite being in pain for a year!). He tells me to concentrate on that recovery before worrying about my fertility. DH also isn't concerned, we already have a DD & as we have now conceived twice he says it'll happen again.

Should I be concerned & go back to GP or shall I just leave it?

icklemssunshine1 Wed 15-May-13 10:47:56

I'm also 34 & worried about the age factor!

icklemssunshine1 Wed 15-May-13 11:23:59

Anyone? smile

Ffuntimewincies Wed 15-May-13 12:04:41

Have you had a confirmed negative pg test since the ERPC?

Sorry to hear about the MMC.

icklemssunshine1 Wed 15-May-13 13:27:15

Thank you. I've taken a pg test & it was negative. Getting worried now sad

AnyoneforTurps Wed 15-May-13 13:54:00

Sorry to hear about your mc sad but not sure why you think your GP is not taking you seriously. The advice sounds good - it's very common for periods to take a while to return after any pregnancy.

Tee2072 Wed 15-May-13 14:08:10

34 isn't that old. I agree, it does sound like your GP is taking you seriously, what do you think he/she could be doing better?

icklemssunshine1 Wed 15-May-13 15:10:11

I know they're the professionals & if I were thinking logically I would realise they know best but the panic is setting in so head'a all over the place! I had an ERPC as was told this was best for 'clearing out' my womb & thus easier to conceive but unfortunately this hasn't happened. I'm probably over reacting - I just need someone to reassure me I'm not mad & my body will return to normal.

EuroShaggleton Wed 15-May-13 15:31:12

TBH, I would want to pursue this. If there is any pregnancy tissue left, it could be preventing your periods returning.

My dr was about as much use as a chocolate teapot too, but luckily for me everything got back to normal quite quickly. I don't think it's unusual for the next period to be delayed a bit, but this seems like too long. I think I read that I should expect my next period 4-6 weeks after my mc, and it came at 4 weeks. I've seen other women on the mc and conception boards wait a bit longer, but not 3 months.

erunda Wed 15-May-13 18:06:02

Firstly, I’m sorry for your loss.

I lurk sometimes but registered to post this. Exactly the same happened to me after a miscarriage and D&C. I had period pains but no actual period and I was sent from pillar to post, given antibiotics etc and told to wait for months. It dragged on for over a year and I was getting nowhere. Period pains grew in intensity (so I was ovulating I guess) but no periods. I was 35.

I self diagnosed Asherman’s Syndrome (google can sometimes be positive in self diagnosing!) and as I moved to Singapore for work, contacted a doctor there who was supposed to be good with endometriosis, and yes, I had moderate/severe Ashermans and he took the scarring away and put a coil in and had me on HRT for 8 months to build up the lining again

I didn’t beyond this hang around Asherman forums as they were too depressing. I got on with things, had the coil out, then got pregnant with my first a month later. Closely monitored but fairly uneventful pregnancy. Had another daughter since at age 40. No probs really. My Singaporean gynae said UK not up on Ashermans and a lot of infertility cases are down to this. But it involves ultrasounds and then invasive (under GA) surgery so it tends to be suggested later on in the diagnostic journey. I was lucky for it to be a year or so, not several years.

If you’ve had some surgery on your lining and no periods for a good few months it is well worth bringing Asherman’s to your docs attention and pressing for a referral. It is rare but treatable and the earlier the better. Basically trauma to the lining and all the hormones of pregnancy can trigger scarring which means the uterus can stick together lining doesn’t come out and gets reabsorbed each month and fertilized eggs can’t implant properly (at it’s most basic)

Very good luck and I hope they spontaneously reappear.

You can PM me for advice.

icklemssunshine1 Wed 15-May-13 18:27:32

Thanks euro. I rang the ward I was in to have my ERPC twice to discuss my worries & they said if I'd taken a pg test & it was negative then they'd doubt there was any retained tissue.

erunda. Thank you for sharing your experience. When I put my symptoms into google a few forums referred to Asherman's & it had crossed my mind. I've made an appointment to see my GP tomorrow & I'll bring it up. I'm glad after all you went through there was a happy outcome.

MiaowTheCat Wed 15-May-13 19:45:34

Took me a good 2-3 months to get my periods back after my ERPC following a missed miscarriage.

I've since (took a year or so more though) had 2 daughters in the space of 11 months so the plumbing didn't break with it all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now