Talk

Advanced search

Help me write my resignation letter

(11 Posts)
happyyonisleepyyoni Wed 15-May-13 09:14:35

Am in the happy position of leaving my current job for greater things.

Now I need to write a letter to the boss. He's a nice guy and I want to leave on good terms, but I am leaving as I am under-utilised and keep being passed over for things.

Come on MNetters what can I say in the letter, need something that appears to be cordial but has a subtle sting in the tail?

annh Wed 15-May-13 09:17:06

Why does it have to have a sting in the tail? Just send him a short, factual letter and hand it to him in person. Better to discuss any issues with him face-to-face I would have thought.

FruOla Wed 15-May-13 09:18:02

No, don't do the sting in the tail. Keep it cordial and professional. If you want him to know why you're leaving, just tell him face to face - but keep it polite still.

happyyonisleepyyoni Wed 15-May-13 09:21:58

alright then, Im not being entirely serious here. how about fantasy resignation letter writing then?

there wouldnt be any point in telling him face to face, he just wouldnt/doesnt get it.

ryanboy Wed 15-May-13 09:24:23

Do NOT put a sting in the tail.Remember the old adage ' be nice to people on the way up, you might meet them again on the way down!'

happyyonisleepyyoni Wed 15-May-13 09:32:32

I was thinking more along the lines of something that could be read 2 ways like "I wish you all the success you deserve" etc

Nevermind!

McNewPants2013 Wed 15-May-13 09:33:52

Name, address, date and employee number 1st.

Dear Mr boss.

I am writing to you to give you formal notice of my resignation, my last day of work will be xxxxxxxxx.

Can you please let me know what the exit policy is( only if you have work I'd, uniforms, company car ect)

Your sincerely

Jinty64 Wed 15-May-13 09:36:19

I regularly spend my time mentally writing my resignation letter and every version has a sting in more than the tail. However when I eventually get to do it for real I will take ryanboy's advice. You just never know!

TattyBoomBoom Wed 15-May-13 09:37:46

You might need a reference one day, leave on good terms!

HorryIsUpduffed Wed 15-May-13 09:39:13

Resignation letters ought not to be more than a couple of lines, pure procedural notification.

Standard format is

I hereby give <length of notice period> notice as required by my contract. My last day in the office will therefore be 15 June.

I wish you and <company name> all the best for the future.

However what I think you're after is something like:

I have enjoyed working with you over the past x years, and am now looking forward to increased responsibility and challenges in my new role.

Say nothing mean until your reference is safely on file at the new place wink

Exit interviews, not resignation letters, are the place for constructive criticism. Any decent company wants to know what the new place has that they don't, to improve retention generally.

DontmindifIdo Wed 15-May-13 09:49:48

I'd go with either McNewPants letter or if you want to put something in the letter about why you are leaving what about/make it more personal how about:

Dear Boss,

It is with mixed feelings I am writing to you to give formal notice of my resignation from [insert job position]. As my contract states X months notice, my last working day will be Y. or As my contract states X months notice, my last working day will be Y, however I am currently owed Z days holiday, so would like my last day in the office to be ZZZ.

I have enjoyed my time working with you at ABC company, I have learned a lot from my colleagues here and am very grateful for the opportunities you have given me. However, I will be leaving for a new role which will offer me a new challenge and more scope to progress my career.

I wish you and the team well and am happy to discuss how to hand over my role to ensure a smooth as possible transition for the rest of the team.

Your sincerely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now