Talk

Advanced search

Married to a gambler

(5 Posts)
dontcallmehon Tue 14-May-13 21:26:18

'd' h is a gambler and heavy drinker. He has lied over and over again. Recently his mum slipped up and mentioned £1000 that he'd borrowed from her because he'd spent £1000 in 2 days on gambling. She thought I already knew sad

I am self employed and work evenings, so I rely on him for childcare. I don't quite earn enough to keep the house on my own yet, but I'm expanding my business in September, so should be ok once that's established. I've asked him not to leave us in a financial pickle; (more than he has already!) but to sleep in the spare room while I get business set up.

I feel strangely calm. I just want him to go. He has done this over and over. His poor mum said she'd disown him if he did it again. I just looked at her and said: 'He WILL do it again.'

dontcallmehon Tue 14-May-13 21:29:00

Sorry for posting this in the wrong place - I thought it was relationships! I know I'm not unreasonable sad

jkklpu Tue 14-May-13 21:29:32

What a horrible situation. Are your finances already separate? If not, I'd be terrified he'd clear out any joint account. Is your house in both names? Would you be partly liable for any debts he's incurred? Are you sure you know how many credit cards he has/has applied for? You can get a copy of your credit rating to see if it's trashed. It would be worth getting a lawyer to make sure you prepare the best you possibly can for the split. Very best of luck.

dontcallmehon Tue 14-May-13 21:31:12

We don't have a joint account thank god. He couldn't get a mortgage, so house in my name. My credit is not linked to his and is spotless, I am very very careful with money.

dontcallmehon Tue 14-May-13 21:32:18

I just got a car on finance, so my credit is OK. Nothing is joint, I made sure of that at least. I should never have married him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now