Talk

Advanced search

to feel ashamed that I can't go

(13 Posts)
idiuntno57 Tue 14-May-13 19:48:08

some friends have recently agreed to do a theatre trip. Its a good play and I'd like to go. Unfortunately the tickets the organiser has gone for are £50 and I just can't afford it. There are much cheaper tickets available and I've considered buying one and just meeting them at the interval but I think I'd feel too ashamed.

Wondering if I should just brave the pity and go or arrange to go another time with someone who is more price compatible.

Worriedmumofan8yearoldgirl Tue 14-May-13 19:50:14

Talk to them. It's not on one person should decide for all if some of the party can't go. She should have discussed it with you,

twofingerstoGideon Tue 14-May-13 19:51:05

Go with someone more price-compatible. smile

yaimee Tue 14-May-13 19:52:10

Are you sure you're the only one feeling like this? Could you bring the cheaper seats up with the group?
Don't feel ashamed, there's nothing shameful about being skint! Loads of people are in the same boat, especially at the moment!

needaholidaynow Tue 14-May-13 19:53:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Tue 14-May-13 19:56:11

Don't feel ashamed. I have turned down expensive things and been honest about it. Have others bought their tickets? If not could you see if someone else wants to get cheap tickets and sit with you?

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Tue 14-May-13 19:57:16

There's no need to be ashamed. In my group of friends we've often had times when one or more of us can't afford something and it's never been a big deal. We've always arranged or rearranged something that everyone can afford. That's what friends do.

FreudiansSlipper Tue 14-May-13 20:03:26

Don't feel ashamed. You would not judge would you. I have had to do similar things. I bet one of your other friends will join you. Go and meet them for a drink in the interval.

Anyway often the most expensive tickets in the stalls do not have the best view

Catmint Tue 14-May-13 20:05:42

Absolutely no shame in wanting your cash to go as far as it can. Love your phrase ' price compatible' . smile

Leeds2 Tue 14-May-13 20:06:32

YANBU.

£50 is a lot for an evening out, with other costs on top. I think the organiser should maybe have checked that everyone was happy to pay this price. I'm sure one of your party would prefer the cheaper option too.

idiuntno57 Tue 14-May-13 20:21:16

I wonder if I feel a little bit upset that when I told the organiser it was too expensive she didn't suggest the cheaper tickets.

But the more I think about it the more I'd much rather go with someone I really would enjoy being with. Rather than sitting there worrying about what they think.

Thanks for the advice all.

Hurrah for mumsnet and all that <cheers and waves hockey stick in air whilst doing oof oof motions with other hand>

Blu Tue 14-May-13 20:34:03

NOTHING to be ashamed of! Just tell the group 'I see there are some cheaper tickets which are more my budget at the moment so I'll make my own arrangement' I bet others in the group will wish they had spoken up too.

Fuckwittery Tue 14-May-13 20:37:59

id go with "this is a bit pricey, there are some tickets for 20 quid so i will get my own, if anyone else would like to sit with me on th cheaper seats let me know and i'll do a group booking"
for blatent subversiveness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now