Talk

Advanced search

To think that maxi skirts/dresses are too long for the average woman?

(53 Posts)
Mouseyinmyhousey Tue 14-May-13 18:16:56

I'm 5'5, so I'm a bit of a short arse but not tiny (I don't think). But I can not find a maxi skirt or dress from anywhere other than the petite section that isn't at least 4 or 5 inches too long, and I'm talking dragging on the floor a fair bit too long.

I've also noticed that the bigger the size the longer they are, they seem to get longer by half an inch for every dress size.

Am I the only one who has this problem?

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 14-May-13 18:20:13

I'm 5'4, they fit me fine. Do I have odd legs? My jeans are 30 inch, maybe 32/34 if I want to wear them with heels?

Moominlandmidwinter Tue 14-May-13 18:21:50

YANBU. I'm 5ft 7, and have found this. I bought 2 maxi-dresses last year (different shops), when I was 6 months pregnant. They were non-maternity, but were the perfect length with a big bump. Now that the bump has gone, I trip over in them!

LST Tue 14-May-13 18:22:46

I'm 6ft and they are never long enough sad

Moominlandmidwinter Tue 14-May-13 18:23:19

Maybe I have a long body with short legs!

Mouseyinmyhousey Tue 14-May-13 18:23:46

Hmm, that's about the same as me LDR where do you shop?! Perhaps I'm going to the wrong places.

I don't have really short legs honestly.

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 14-May-13 18:26:45

I have maxi dresses/skirts from French Connection (best with heels but not impossible with flats), one from Zara (fine with flats), two from H&M (fine with flats), and one from Sainsbury's Tu, which needs a one or two inch heel. Oasis fit nicely too.

I've found Topshop and Karen Millen terrible, though, but then I knew that because Karen Millen trousers are always several miles too long for me.

TarkaTheOtter Tue 14-May-13 18:26:57

I'm 5'10 and they are always a bit too short.

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 14-May-13 18:27:27

It might be because you're slim or slim-hipped? I guess the more roundness you have, the shorter they'll end up. I'm quite broad in the hips.

Wishiwasanheiress Tue 14-May-13 18:29:53

I'm 5'9. Fit me perfectly! smile

iccarus Tue 14-May-13 18:32:55

Yanbu!it drives me potty. There are so many lovely dresses but in only 5ft so i look ridiculous!i am a bit of a short arse though.

Mouseyinmyhousey Tue 14-May-13 18:34:20

I will have to try those shops LDR I've been in Mango, Miss Selfridge and River Island.

I also have wide hips and bum

It;s very annoying when you find a lovely skirt but it's miles too long or short for some lucky tall people.

aldiwhore Tue 14-May-13 18:36:23

Take the hem up?

It is annoying, but at least if they're too long you can easily alter them, too short and you're stuffed.

You don't need much skill, honest, I do it and I'm awful at sewing (hemming tape does a good temp job).

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 14-May-13 18:36:24

It is really annoying.

I have noticed the same with Mango, so hopefully by the same token, the other shops might work for you. Though I think often they don't keep sizes or lengths consist even within the same shop.

When you think that jeans have lengths by inches, it seems odd that there isn't enough demand to make mini skirts in more lengths available.

CourgetteSmuggler Tue 14-May-13 18:38:37

I'm 5ft 9" and they are never long enough sad

OnTheNingNangNong Tue 14-May-13 18:44:03

I'm 5'11 and they're all too short.

pointythings Tue 14-May-13 18:46:39

I'm 5'11'' and I have a devil of a time finding maxis which are long enough.

ALittleBitOfMagic Tue 14-May-13 18:47:40

YANBU ! I'm 5'6 so not exactly short . I have to get every maxi dress I buy taken up confused

elQuintoConyo Tue 14-May-13 18:55:03

5ft4 here. They're always too long, but I lop off 5 or so inchrs and make a little matching bag/flower brooch/something else I'm aware being crafty annoys many people sorry

babyiwantabump Tue 14-May-13 18:57:30

I'm 5ft 10 and there all too short!! Swinging up by my ankles! Drives me batty!

DrCoconut Tue 14-May-13 18:59:18

I struggle to get trousers or jeans that are not too long. I can't afford to spend a fortune so am stuck with cheap high street ranges. I am 5'5 and need a 29" leg.

nailak Tue 14-May-13 19:01:30

I am 5ft 4 and have never had this problem, maybe it is coz my arse sticks out or something! lol but I am 5ft 4 size 12 have bought maxi dresses from various shops, never had an issue with too long.

I'm 5'2 and find the jersey maxi skirts in Topshop okay when I hoik them up to below boob level. Gap did a skirt last year that had a foldover top and that is excellent. White Company maxi dresses are also usually okay on me, provided I wear them with a wedge. They are a bit too long with flip flops.

I have long legs on a short body, if that makes any difference!

Holliewantstobehot Tue 14-May-13 19:02:24

Usually too short for me too. Bought one from tesco and washed it, then came to halfway down my calves! Ended up having to take it up to just above the knee! Have a long skirt from matalan though that is a good length. Am considering trying to make my own maxi dress if the weather gets any better just so I can have one that is the right length!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now