Talk

Advanced search

To hate my birthday?

(18 Posts)
ALittleBitOfMagic Mon 13-May-13 19:48:06

It just leaves me feeling disappointed and sad. and I'm only in my 20s !

funkydubs Mon 13-May-13 19:51:20

Just be like me and dont celebrate it!!!

EasyToEatTiger Mon 13-May-13 19:56:14

I hate mine too. Everyone else is out celebrating a big night out. Frankly my birthday pales into insignificance. Also it's far too close to Christmas. I like to go out for lunch and a good walk with the dogs.

BumpAndGrind Mon 13-May-13 19:58:34

I'm 30 in July....

I cry every birthday so god knows what I'll be like this time round. sad

VelvetSpoon Mon 13-May-13 20:02:32

I used to love my birthday til last year when I turned 40. I had a crappy stressful birthday, no-one made any sort of fuss of me (which I kind of thought they might, it being a milestone and all...) and I held a party -at considerable expense - to which barely a quarter of those invited bothered turning up.

My 41st birthday is this friday; all my friends are too busy to see me hmm. i am going to pretend it's not happening.

VenusStarr Mon 13-May-13 20:05:50

BumpandGrind I was just about to post exactly the same, but my 30th birthday is in August!! sad

I think part of my dislike is that I was never made to feel that my birthday was special or to be celebrated. I've never had a birthday party sad even when I've tried to plan things I've ended up being let down at the last minute. OP, I know how you feel. I don't know what the answer is.

I always dread my birthdays and now I'm hitting 30.... sad

theboob Mon 13-May-13 20:07:24

I hate my birthday , Jan 4th as everyone is always hungover and still too tired from xmas and new year

PomBearWithAnOFRS Mon 13-May-13 20:59:25

I've always hated my birthday, even as a child I remember cringing and wanting to run away and hide when my friends sang "Happy Birthday" at my parties.
I tried to have a party for my 30th and nobody came well 10 people out of 200 invitees and that just confirmed my opinion that birthdays are crap confused
I no longer bother to even remember when it is now- my mam and sister get me a card and usually just put a gift voucher or book token in it and that's that. DH knows better than to even mention it now bless him, but he is utterly crap at buying gifts and cards and suchlike anyway
My birthday is the 13th of the month though, and there was always someone or other muttering dire mutterings, and something crap always seemed to happen on my birthday every year, so that could have something to do with it I suppose...

I hate my birthday. It just always feels like another year wasted. I go into a grump for a week either side.

itsallyourownfault Mon 13-May-13 21:04:45

You may hate your birthday but it's infinitely better than the alternative.

NeverBeenToMe Mon 13-May-13 21:05:09

I'm forty-fucking-six on Thursday, perimenopausal, and really fucked off with feeling old and knackered and as though I've achieved nothing in my life so far confused oh, and very self indulgently miserable. Because I can.

MacaYoniAndCheese Mon 13-May-13 21:08:32

Hate birthdays too. Mainly because I'm shy and I don't like any sort of fuss being made but also because I hate being labelled with a number goddammit angry! I'm mid-thirties but feel and act like I'm about fifteen most of the time.

I have no objection to the cake bit, however.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Mon 13-May-13 21:08:40

<pours gin> Large ones all round Ladies? grin
<opens biscuit tin, jars of olives, nibbly bits and dips>
<puts 80s music on loud>
grin

ALittleBitOfMagic Mon 13-May-13 21:08:47

I never hated it as a child but I never really loved it either - i think it took me years to realise that although I would get excited about the build up - the actual day was always disappointing .

And now I had to marry a man who's birthday is a few days before mine , and have a dd a few days before that , so by the time it gets to mine it's shit .

I've been getting Facebook messages all day "hope you've had a fab day" "hope you're getting spoilt rotten"

Nope . sad

squeakytoy Mon 13-May-13 21:19:21

I dont see the point as an adult in having to celebrate it "on the day".

Have a "fab day" whenever you like and call it your birthday bash.

VelvetSpoon Mon 13-May-13 21:42:45

Pom your 30th party sounds like the one I had for my 40th. I bought a marquee for the garden but there were so few people they all fitted in the kitchen/living room sad

I have had 2 one-line birthday emails so far (from people I never see) and that, plus a slew of FB 'Happy Birthdays' during the course of Friday will be it hmm. I doubt I will even get a card (certainly not on the day).

FeckOffCup Mon 13-May-13 21:56:03

I don't exactly hate mine but I don't really celebrate it either, I feel pretty "meh" about the whole birthday thing. It is better than the alternative but I don't see it as a reason to have a day being spoilt rotten and pampered either, but I hate having a fuss made of me on any day, attention makes me really awkward and self conscious.

nokidshere Mon 13-May-13 22:04:18

Oh dear grin there are some very young people here feeling very old indeed!!!

It was my birthday last Friday..I am now 52 which is not old at all in my,book. Age is simply a number, it doesn't , or,shouldn't define how you feel as a person. I don't do,parties or have lots,of,friends but I had a lovely day doing nothing in particular then Dh provided wine and food in the evening. It's just another day really, albeit one that we,occasionally put a bit more effort into than usual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now