Talk

Advanced search

Help.!!!. techy disaster. aibu to be such a blockhead?

(14 Posts)
justpaddling Mon 13-May-13 19:27:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-May-13 19:31:24

HI there
Sorry about your puter probs. I'm a mac girl so am no use whatsoever to you
We have amended your op to remove disablist language
Thanks
MNHQ

Doubtfuldaphne Mon 13-May-13 19:32:39

The Bluetooth programme shouldn't change your wifi - maybe you deleted something else.
All you have to do is reset your computer to go back to yesterday's date and it will forget today ever happened smile

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 13-May-13 19:35:36

Do MNHQ have a list of non-discriminatory words for emergency replacement? If so, I want that list. I love a good word for stupid and am stuck with Adam and Joe's 'idiot hole'.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 13-May-13 19:36:18

Sorry, no help on the computer issues. I married a nerd so i would never have to bother with that stuff again.

BMW6 Mon 13-May-13 19:40:48

Restore to default settings? There's a tab for that somewhere......
That's the extent of MY techy knowledge blush

justpaddling Mon 13-May-13 19:45:43

LunaticFringe Mon 13-May-13 19:47:05

Jestrin Mon 13-May-13 19:52:22

A tutorial here. Might help?

windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Doubtfuldaphne Mon 13-May-13 20:40:49

Ok, go to start screen, then type in restore point, then click on the settings. There you will get an option to create a restore point. From there it will guide you through when you want to restore it from etc
Hope it works!

justpaddling Mon 13-May-13 21:49:15

niceguy2 Mon 13-May-13 22:44:39

You have to be careful nowadays. I nearly clicked on a "Flash update" message the other day when surfing the Internet. Then upon looking closer I realised it wasn't a legit site at all and was an advert looking to trick me into installing their program. No doubt full of crapware.

I suspect it's what you did. It's worrying really. I'm a techy IT geek who is paid to be on top of these things yet nearly fell for it myself. So I wonder how many normal people have been tricked into it.

upthestick Tue 14-May-13 22:32:07

Glad you sorted it out to the point that you can do stuff, but you need to be really careful: your computer may well still be infected. Most likely explanation is that you downloaded a virus or other malware. You can't rely on being able to uninstall viruses from the control panel.

Never, ever agree to install something that you haven't deliberately selected, especially from a popup. It's very unlikely that what you downloaded was flash player, and if it was a virus it won't call itself 'flash player' to allow you to uninstall it.

You should run additional diagnostics (e.g. spybot search & destroy) to ensure that your computer is clear from malware: just because the popups are gone doesn't mean it's all OK now!

chateauferret Wed 15-May-13 20:52:40

Using Windows 8 is U in its own right. I've also had various experiences of computers going Pete Tong when Flash stuff gets installed. Really downloadable stuff shouldn't be changing local config or writing to drives without explicit user permission. It's not surprising that the makers of other OSs won't support Flash because they consider it insecure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now