Talk

Advanced search

Is this vanity? How do I fix it?

(14 Posts)
Needfixing Mon 13-May-13 19:04:33

I have name changed to avoid being outed.

I really need some advice about my skin and would like some honest opinions.
I have dark patches all over my face. It's caused by sun damage (I used to take the contraceptive pill, which I believe exacerbates the problem).
I know it seems trivial but I've recently seen photographs of myself ( don't usually look at them) and I'm so upset at my appearance. It's really getting me down.
I spoke to a local beautician about microdermabrasion but I can't get a clear answer as to whether this would really help. I get that it "improves the complexion" but what the fuck does that actually mean?
I am seriously conspiring just becoming a recluse.
Thanks in advance of wisdom.

Needfixing Mon 13-May-13 19:05:14

Sorry considering, not conspiring.

YoniAsOldAsYoFeel Mon 13-May-13 19:07:44

Are you in a position to see a private dermatologist? If it's that bad it'll probably be better to take the advice of someone medically trained as opposed to a beautician.

Foosyerdoos Mon 13-May-13 19:11:02

Is it melasma ( pregnancy mask) ? Have you tried something like liquid gold / white gold.
A colleague at work has this and I think she had a treatment where they roll a 'prickly' ( sorry really crap description) over the skin. I think the needles are very small and don't penetrate very far and is supposed to improve collagen production. I think you can get laser to break down the pigment.

Foosyerdoos Mon 13-May-13 19:11:53

Oops should read ' prickly roller'.

ceramicunicorn Mon 13-May-13 19:11:53

Microdermabrasion improves the complexion and is good for clogged pores. It didn't do anything for my dark patches though.

I had lasering on some dark splotches caused by sun damage on my face which faded it but it's still visible.

Needfixing Mon 13-May-13 19:16:03

Thanks. I think there is a bit of pregnancy mask thing going on but that doesn't account for all of it and my youngest is six m. o.
Unfortunately not able to see. Dermatologist privately.

I did suspect that micro wouldn't do much so it's useful to hear tht.
Thank you.

I can tell you that clinique stuff is a waste of money, time and space.
Can't remember the name of it now, the one with the egg that fades in the advert.
There's some good threads over on S & B.

Foosyerdoos Mon 13-May-13 19:27:07

I think micro dermabrasion can work a bit, have you looked on the 'skin clinic' website? It depends on the depth of skin where the discolouration is how effective dermabrasion would be. It is not too expensive ( see if you could get at groupon).
Laser Does not seem to be too expensive either.

Potteresque97 Mon 13-May-13 19:28:45

I had microdermabrasion too to try and fade acne scarring, was useless and expensive. Salons rarely talk you out of things... Recently used kiehls brightening vitamin c serum, body shop has vitamin c serum too as does some of the brands in boots, no 7 has a dark spot corrector. I've found it is good at fading patches so might be worth investigating, a lot cheaper than the salon treatments. I definitely think they help. Yanbu to feel bad, it undermines confidence. Have you tried using tinted moisturiser/bb cream to make things look better?

Needfixing Mon 13-May-13 20:12:02

Ah thanks for all your replies nd for being o kind.

Make up helps but it's still visible sadly.

I have started using bio oil as correcting uneven tone is one of its claims but I don't hold out much hope.
Thanks squirted I would have wasted my money on that Clinique stuff.

NoWayPedro Mon 13-May-13 20:40:44

I just had my first session of microdermabrasion this weekend - but for clogged pores due to dry skin and a few fine lines. Don't have v uneven skin tone but I wouldn't say it would work for that particularly. I'm going to have a few sessions as they go 'deeper' each time. Probably better suggestions up thread.

ILoveApples Mon 13-May-13 21:28:58

How long have you been off the pill for? I only ask because I had the same problem but, since coming off it 18 months ago, it has completely gone without any intervention (apart from regular moisturising with SPF) . In fact it had disappeared within 3-4 months of stopping the pill so it may be worth waiting a bit before starting any expensive treatments. Just an idea...

Potteresque97 Mon 13-May-13 21:47:26

Hmmm bio oil is good stuff, that's worth a try. I'd try posting on the style board too. Fwiw, I also thought the Clinique dark spot stuff was pants plus yucky texture. Remember it looks much worse to you than to anyone else...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now