Talk

Advanced search

To postpone DD2's jabs?

(30 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Mon 13-May-13 09:48:55

Background (those on the parenting forum reflux thread know most of this)...

DD2 is due her 8 week jabs on Thursday, and I'm not at all anti-vax so she's getting 'em done... just now not sure about the timing of it.

Basically she's been a poor uncomfortable bairn since she was born - throwing up, squirming in pain, skin rashes... went through the usual reflux ideas with the doctors - carobel, gaviscon and then the health visitor took charge and started talking to the dietician who thinks, given our family history and the symptoms, that there's an allergy at the bottom of it.

So after being passed from pillar to post trying to get the bloody prescription done and filled - she's wanting us to try a 4 week trial of Neocate to see where that goes, coupled with blood testing (that they can't do till 3 weeks time... sigh). So we've started to transition her across to the Neocate, which we've been advised to do gradually so she'll accept it (I've been told endlessly how horrific tasting it is to the point they've scared me witless on that - but that's another story). Started doing the change over over the weekend - but we've got this jabs appointment booked in for the end of the week and I'm just wondering if postponing it a couple of weeks so we don't get the picture of any impact from changing formula skewed by any possible reaction to jabs? Been trying to get to the bottom of DD2's issues since she was born (was obvious in the post-natal ward that the rivers of puke weren't right) and I really don't want to blow any chances of making progress on this - especially since they're being so arsey about the cost of the Neocate anyway.

Can't get hold of HV to ask her advice as she's on a course and no one ever answers the phone anyway there.

Please don't turn it into either an anti-vax or "you should have breastfed" debate... just after opinions if postponing it is being overcautious or whatever.

orangepudding Mon 13-May-13 09:50:42

In your situation I would postpone.

valiumredhead Mon 13-May-13 09:52:04

I would have the jabs, every time.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 13-May-13 09:54:42

I honestly don't know I think you need to ask your doctor. It may be it's safer if she has her jabs straightaway or it may be that she might be more likely than average to be allergic to the jabs and therefore doctor may be keen to postpone. Generally I'd be in favour of vaccinating according to the timetable, as it's the tried and tested way of vaccinating in this country, unless your doctor says otherwise.

rootypig Mon 13-May-13 09:59:42

I would get the jabs out of the way, the effects generally only last a day or two and it sounds like it might take weeks for your DD's feeding routine to be sorted. There may not be a good time for a while.

bonzo77 Mon 13-May-13 10:01:27

Get the jabs done. Like so many things in life there is never a "good" time.

MistyB Mon 13-May-13 10:02:01

I would postpone. Her immune system is already under stress. Fix the food source first, allow her to recover.

rubyslippers Mon 13-May-13 10:03:23

i would speak to your GP to explain your concerns but to do with the allergies aspect of it , not the feeding routine

my feeling as a parent and not as a medical professional is to vaccinate

Flobbadobs Mon 13-May-13 10:05:16

In your shoes I would speak to Gp about postponing the jabs for a few weeks. Your GP may disagree but at least you will have a medical opinion to consider.
I would definitely veer towards putting them off for a short while though.

KansasCityOctopus Mon 13-May-13 10:05:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EglantinePrice Mon 13-May-13 10:06:10

I would delay. In many areas they run a few weeks behind schedule at times anyway.

Your HV will tell you not to delay because that is what they are programmed to do. But 8 weeks is just an arbitrary date. Its no better than 10 weeks or 6 weeks.

sashh Mon 13-May-13 10:07:55

I'm normally very pro jabs, but for the sake of 2 weeks and getting to the bottom of your baby's problems I don't think you are being unreasonable.

What allergies are there in the family? Are there any ingredients in the vaccines that contain the allergens?

I think you should talk to your Dr.

SirBoobAlot Mon 13-May-13 10:07:55

I would postpone for a short while.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 13-May-13 10:09:01

If you do postpone this time, is it likely that there will be something else next time that will make you want to do the same again?

My gut feeling would be to get her vaccinated, the effects only last a day or two then you're back in track with the neocate without the added worry of her becoming ill with measles etc. there are such a large number of measles cases around at the moment, that if she was my dd, I'd be anxious to get her protected ASAP.

Cuddlydragon Mon 13-May-13 10:10:16

I would speak to your GP first but I would delay. They'll ask if baby is well anyway before innoculating anyway and your poor little one clearly isn't. I've read your other posts. Good luck.

jellybeans Mon 13-May-13 10:15:51

My DS3 had severe reflux and would stop breathing with it and was in/out hospital with the choking episodes. We tried all allergy stuff and nothing helped but he got better about 16-19 months. He is 4 now and still has it but nowhere near as bad with the screaming, choking and irritableness. he had all his jabs on time other than the MMR when he was a bit older due to being ill every time we booked it.

FossilMum Mon 13-May-13 10:32:51

See if you can get your GP to chat with you about your concerns over the phone first. My personal feeling would be to postpone it until after her blood tests, because the possible allergy issues and sickness might be suppressing her immune system right now, possibly complicating any normal or side effects of the vaccination -- but to make sure that the postponement is only temporary and it doesn't get forgotten -- write down a reminder in your diary, or make a new appt now for a week or 2 after her blood test results are due in. However, I'm not a GP and don't know how critical the timing is believed to be in this country. The 8-week jabs don't include measles, but do cover lots of other potentially important things.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 13-May-13 10:33:57

I would postpone. If she does have an allergy that can be relatively easy to accommodate, then it would make sense to me to allow her body to be in the best position possible to receive the immunisations.

If once she is fully on the Neocate and it appears to have made no difference, then go for the jabs because you could spend ages trying to work out the solution to the original problem. But if you have the potential to fix the problem within a month, then I don't think delaying the jabs for a month will do any harm.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 13-May-13 11:48:59

I had DD1's jabs done late. We moved to Turkey when she was 8 weeks and I asked the doctor the best thing to do and she said wait until we were settled then get them all done out there. So she had her 8 weeks ones at about 12 weeks and the others were all late following on.

As long as you are going to have them done it is ok to postpone for a few weeks.

Andro Mon 13-May-13 12:16:46

I'd postpone. Where there are allergy concerns it would be better to confirm/eliminate before stressing your baby any more.

MiaowTheCat Mon 13-May-13 12:47:45

"If you do postpone this time, is it likely that there will be something else next time that will make you want to do the same again?"

Oh she's definitely getting jabbed - there's no questions about that, especially since we've got Typhoid Mary in the family who persists in bringing ill children to every family event and trying to infect us all (whooping cough for Xmas anyone?)

As for allergies in the family - it's more the strong asthma/eczema running from both parents pretty much rampant through the families that's making them think allergy more than anything else... fair smattering of food allergies on my side - kiwis, strawberries (my brother's fucked if he wants a fruit salad basically), milk, pet hair.

GP is likely to be useless since she basically went into neurotic mother mode when I saw her last - till the health visitor kicked her arse into action! I basically just need a clear run to prove if the Neocate is working that it is - since they're being mildly twuntish about prescribing it (despite being told to by the dietician)... needs be I'll set the health visitor on them on that scenario but I want to give them no excuses at all to dither over doing so.

My gut instinct is to push them back a couple of weeks, needs be get DD1's 13 month ones out of the way first, so at least I can see what the formula change has in terms of an affect on her but I know I'll get grief off the doc receptionist if I change the date and the "vaccinations are very important" spiel I've just had off one of the other HVs this morning (who really didn't listen to what I was trying to get at and just heard "no vaccines" and started on autopilot). Think I need to talk about it with DH tonight -who'll go into "do what you think is right" non-answer mode like he always does!

Sidge Mon 13-May-13 13:01:28

I wouldn't postpone unless she's feverish and obviously unwell.

The side effects she may get from her 8 week imms are unlikely to resemble the symptoms she's getting at the moment so you should be able to monitor her symptoms with the changing milk.

The whooping cough risk is still prevalent I believe.

Sokmonsta Mon 13-May-13 13:02:57

Ask whether there is anyone at your surgery who can give you a call back and advise - the vaccinations nurse may be able to.

As you are only wondering whether to postpone the jabs, in your circumstances I'd postpone.

I let a gp talk me into vaccinating a clearly unwell child. Which resulted in a week stay in hospital for a viral infection with tonsillitis and an ear infection on top. His poor immune system just couldn't cope with fighting that lot and building immunity against the vaccinations.

stopgap Mon 13-May-13 13:44:28

We were in almost exactly the same position, although we'd already delayed until 12 weeks, when we thought my son's colic/reflux was done, we did the full set of immunisations, and it made my son's silent reflux roar back to life, at an infinitely worse level. He had green diarrhea for a month afterwards, choking episodes from the reflux and was the grumpiest baby you could imagine (after having fairly low-level colic for the first three months).

Now we are in America, which means that the rotavirus vaccine is included, and having dug a lot deeper, it seems that this vaccine is totally unsuited for babies with gastrointestinal issues and was likely to be the culprit. I know that rotavirus is not generally given in the UK, so you may be okay and suffer no more than a day or two of heightened reflux symptoms.

I wish you good luck in your decision.

CSIJanner Mon 13-May-13 14:00:14

Postpone. You're going to get it done in a couple of weeks so let her allergy issues settle down first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now