Talk

Advanced search

To feel properly pissed off

(11 Posts)
Chewmebush Sun 12-May-13 11:57:29

DH recently was demoted for not being dynamique (sp) or flexible enough as a manager on his department. FWIW the job can simply not bee done in the time given and work were expecting 15+ hours per week unpaid overtime.
He is now a supervisor on another department. Since being on this department he has not worked his contracted shifts. They are continually changed due to holidays and his manager being off ill for a considerable length of time. (I wonder why?)
For the week coming he has had 2 shift changes plus one day off moved. This is fine as at the moment I am a SAHM plus carer for my son who is autistic.
The problem I have is that I am seeking work to offset the 40% drop in DH salary but due to the continued changes in his rota I am having difficulty.
I am so pissed off and am struggling for solutions. AIBU?
Thanks in advance.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sun 12-May-13 12:04:50

My dp never knows his hours from one day to the next, he got told on third he was going away for 2 weeks the next day, I couldn't get a job outside the home as we have no family support either so my only option was childminding, could you work from home doing anything?

Oldraver Sun 12-May-13 12:08:06

Well you can be pissed off but it wont get you anywhere. I am hoping for to look for work soon and at the moment OH is off during the week, but I know this can change at any moment so I would have to go with what I could fit in.

Lots of people have to work like this nowadays,its how the market is at the moment

Chewmebush Sun 12-May-13 12:10:11

Twinklestars - glad to have found someone who can understand my situation. I don't think childminding is an option as I have 5dc. I did want something to work around his hours and would have liked to get out of the house myself and back into the workplace. Failing that I am not sure what options I have in regards to working from home. I dont want to appear cheeky but is your DH's salary worth the flexibilty that your family give.

Chewmebush Sun 12-May-13 12:13:46

Oldraver - It's good that your OH is off during the week so that you have if only for the short term, advance notice of what he is working IYSWIM. My problem is DH shifts are changing constantly so what employer is going to take me on knowing that I cant commit from one week to the next?

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sun 12-May-13 12:17:41

His salary doesn't cover everything I still need an income to pay for utility bills etc. it's a bit of a nightmare never knowing when he'll be home but we don't really go out so doesn't stop me doing things.

How old are your dc if you don't mind me asking, we have 2 soon to be 3 so it can still be worth it, but I understand why you would want to go out to work, I didn't want to leave my ds2 so was easier for me.

Chewmebush Sun 12-May-13 12:22:12

Twinkle- I have 13, 11, 8, 2 and 11 months. The youngest two are still BF smile and my 11 year old has the ASD. We also have no outside support which is rubbish but Heyho that is life. grin

maddening Sun 12-May-13 12:24:05

Are his hours always daytime? Could you find evening hours? Not ideal but it sounds like they are either punishing him for the demotion or trying to make him leave of his own volition. If he is going to stick it out and get past this it will take a lot of hard work and you may be working around this for a while.

Chewmebush Sun 12-May-13 12:27:47

Maddening - Thats the problem they change the hours anything from 7am in the morning to 11pm in the evening. I would work in a call centre if they were always daytime hours. not my preferred job but if it puts a roof over our heads I will do it smile

Iamsparklyknickers Sun 12-May-13 13:47:25

Is agency work an option? I know a lot of NHS trusts are recruiting bank staff for agency/HCA's (although I also know the recruitment is a stupidly long drawn out process - not difficult just the time they take to get their arses into gear).

It would mean a good couple of months establishing yourself, agencies/banks have a tendancy to forget about you if you don't take assignments fairly regularly. I know in our office we've accepted part-time hours for temps covering full time roles just to get work done.

Or possibly check out a site like people-per-hour?

Iamsparklyknickers Sun 12-May-13 13:48:03

I meant admin and HCA's for the NHS bank staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now