Talk

Advanced search

dp and bil

(19 Posts)
pipsqueakz Sat 11-May-13 23:04:48

Aibu - my dh and bil made a trailer to go on back of mountain bike for our ds 2.5 out of a canoe trolley welded to an old seat from a car and strapped our ds car seat to it with good intentions. I don't feel its safe at all but they say its very safe and dh says our D's can ride on back of it when we go for bike rides. I don't want to upset them but I really don't like the idea at all but don't want to sound bitchy about it. Is it really safe? Would they be stopped say by the police of someone? They took a lot of time to make it but I really don't feel happy about it. What are your thoughts?

LittleFeileFooFoo Sat 11-May-13 23:06:40

Put a teddy bear or sack of potatoes that weighs as much as Ds in it and see how steady it is. It may not be anymore dangerous than a store bought seat.

Make sure Ds has a helmet, too!

TigOldBitties Sat 11-May-13 23:09:25

People used to make these kind of things all the time, as previous poster said, test it.

AgentZigzag Sat 11-May-13 23:14:46

It depends what kinds of areas you're cycling in.

We can cycle for a fair while from our house without going on any roads, but I wouldn't be too happy with something that hadn't been tested to the max by those in the know if there was any risk it could unhook leaving your DC at the mercy of a car behind.

DorisIsWaiting Sat 11-May-13 23:15:01

That sounds really heavy, we used to have a trailer (store bought) that was realy light (I think it was aluminium) I could move it easily with one hand and tow with no problem.

I don't think safety ids your biggest issue I think actually a mile or so with that behind you and you would really know it!

pipsqueakz Sun 12-May-13 08:27:54

I had a gentle chat with dh last night. Not sure if had any progress. Think he was just saying yes and no in the right places. But explained to dh that the make shift trailer was a very sweet idea but I couldn't possibly pull that sort of weight behind my bike (get bad sciatica) and don't feel happy with ds in back unless on a cycle path. And maybe we should check eBay and see if we can get one at z reasonable price. Dh tells me there is no law that he knows of that says he can't tow a make shift trailer and that there trailer is probably safer as it is a lot higher than the shop bought. Don't know what to think. Aibu?

DorisIsWaiting Tue 14-May-13 11:39:14

Stick with the too heavy line ... (We bought ours for £50 from ebay / or gumtree and sold it again 2 years later for £50!)

Bereavednanny Tue 14-May-13 13:30:30

Your DS also needs something to protect him.

If a stone flies up from your DH's tyre and strikes him anywhere, it could do a lot of damage.

Your DS will be lower and wider than you DH's bike so if he rides by a patch of stinging nettles, brambles etc, you son could be hit.

If your DH gets too close to a verge, will the trailer tip over? Will there be any 'roll bar' to protect him should it tip?

I use a trailer for my bike, it is very low to the ground, it has a frame around it and has mesh to stop flying objects to hit the child/ren and a plastic cover in case of rain, as is generally needed in this country!!

pipsqueakz Tue 14-May-13 13:50:26

Thanks for all your input. The trailer they have made isn't low to the ground its fairly high. But the whole trailer thing in general concerns me. I have ordered a cycle map of my area to work out safe routes but I'm so jubious of the trailer especially the make sift. Even though its 'safe'

AgentZigzag Tue 14-May-13 14:31:22

If you don't feel comfortable you shouldn't just go along with it to spare your DHs feelings, unless you think he'd try to guilt/bully you into using it and you wouldn't be able to stand up to him?

Your DSs safety is worth more than that.

diddl Tue 14-May-13 14:35:04

" Dh tells me there is no law that he knows of that says he can't tow a make shift trailer"

But it's not about that, is it-it's about your son's safety!

Also-if the bike fell over-would the trailer also?

pipsqueakz Tue 14-May-13 14:53:13

I know and completely agree with you diddl. That's the argument I'm having with him. Its not safe in my eyes.

pipsqueakz Tue 14-May-13 14:58:19

Agent I certainly wouldn't just go with it to spare anyone's feelings especially my husband. Nobody else in the family has any reservations over it. They're making me feel as if I'm blowing it out of proportion but I really am very much for mother's instinct I'm not happy bout the trailer. Have been looking on eBay for one thou as in shop bought!

diddl Tue 14-May-13 15:09:34

Shame you're not in Germany OP-I have one going begging in the garage!

All else aside I agree that the weight of what your husband has made is surely prohibitive?

HansieMom Tue 14-May-13 15:09:36

Maybe put a picture of it on a cycling forum and ask opinions. Or take to Department of Motor Vehicles for safety check. Or would fire station be better?

I would not use it. Better than you hurting your back more and you and your son being guinea pigs to test it's safety. Besides that, it must look like a bad joke.

diddl Tue 14-May-13 15:12:09

I must admit to being curios as to what it looks likeblush

diddl Tue 14-May-13 15:12:32

curios??

Oh the shame-curious!

pipsqueakz Tue 14-May-13 15:58:49

I will try add a pic at some point it actually looks really cool lol. My bil was on scrap heap challenge twice lol. So is pretty good at welding its attached to the bike safe and it stays put when bike falls over. Maybe we should get it patent and go on dragons den lol. Jokes aside dh is gonna try it with our eldest ds. He is as mad as his dad!

pipsqueakz Tue 14-May-13 17:33:46

I win! Were getting one from gumtree. Pick it up tomorrow. Feel bit happier now!
Will still show you the make shift one makes me giggle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now