Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To just leave my son in his cot? He won't nap.

(21 Posts)
ivanapoo Fri 10-May-13 13:02:26

I've been trying to get my son to nap for 90 minutes in his cot. He eventually looked like he was asleep (eyes closed, sucking thumb) but 5 minutes later he's awake. I've tried winding him and have put him back down.

He's squealing a lot and chatting but not actually crying (yet).

AIBU just to leave him in there for a while? I can't get anything done while I'm shush bloody patting, my patience is wearing thin and I have visitors coming later. But I don't want him to feel abandoned... I wouldn't leave him to cry for more than a minute or two if he did kick off.

Also if anyone has any magic napping tips, PLEASE HELP ME OH GOD PLEASE.

RiotsNotDiets Fri 10-May-13 13:03:27

How old is he?

ivanapoo Fri 10-May-13 13:04:29

Nearly 5 months.

NotYoMomma Fri 10-May-13 13:05:09

My dd will chat and babble and will continue to do so if I am there, I leave her for 5 if she isn't crying and usually she is asleep v quickly.

She hates patting and picking up/ putting down just prolongs the agony for us all, or it did when she was new born.

She hits the cot and is reaching for her blanket to snooze in seconds now

NotYoMomma Fri 10-May-13 13:05:59

Just remember babies are all different, find your way. Patting and moving and cajoling will not work with all of them x

CoolaSchmoola Fri 10-May-13 13:06:16

If he's not crying of course it's ok. You are his mum, yes, but you are not his 24/7 entertainment centre. If he's happy enough in there it's fine, no real difference to being in any safe space downstairs whilst you get on.

larlemucker Fri 10-May-13 13:08:25

Will he sleep if you take him out in a pram?

NotYoMomma Fri 10-May-13 13:08:27

I think a lot of mums also project their worries (ie you with you thinking he will feel abandoned) onto the baby, if he isn't crying I wouldn't worry. smile good luck!

ivanapoo Fri 10-May-13 13:10:23

Notyomama I'm so glad you said that, Every time I go in there he gets really hyper. I'm sure if I just left him to it he'd go to sleep just as quickly (or slowly...)

Coola for some reason I feel guilty if I leave or ignore him for more than a matter of seconds. Mainly because he starts doing these incredibly loud high pitched squeals. And also I'm on maternity leave and feel it's my duty.

ivanapoo Fri 10-May-13 13:12:08

larlemucker he will often go to sleep in the pram/sling but I'm trying not to rely on that, also I need to go out later so will take him out then... Right now I need to be cleaning/tidying/eating lunch and MNing just a little bit

MoonlightandRoses Fri 10-May-13 13:13:15

If he's not distressed (and he sounds pretty cheerful from your description) then leave him be - it's good for babies and small children to learn that their own space is nice too.

pumpkinsweetie Fri 10-May-13 13:16:31

Don't worry op, he will fine, aslong as he isn't distressed you can get on with your things that need doing.

valiumredhead Fri 10-May-13 13:29:07

After 90 mins I would presume he isn't tired enough yet and would try later.

Nothing wrong with leaving babies for a bit of a squawk or happily playing but not for long.

one of mine used to lie and 'talk' to himself, roll about, gurgle etc. I used to leave him and usually he would fall asleep, if not I figured he was getting a rest anyway. I only went in when he started sounding a bit cross or crying

mrsjay Fri 10-May-13 13:37:46

If he is content and not screaming the place down he will either fall asleep babbiling to himself or get bored and cry it is ok to leave him have you been with him for the 90 minutes ? if you havnt i would leave him a little bit longer and get him up he may nap later on

OhLori Fri 10-May-13 14:29:56

The patting business was a waste of time for me.

If your child is not asleep within 15 minutes, I think sometimes you have to skip the nap!

ivanapoo Fri 10-May-13 23:51:41

Update: after nearly 4 hours I needed to go out so popped him in the pushchair... Asleep in seconds!

MoonlightandRoses Sat 11-May-13 01:16:12

grin

DeweyDecibelle Sat 11-May-13 09:00:50

My daughter is the same age and until just over a week ago had to be rocked to sleep. I now lay her in cot with mobile on, and hold her little arms quite firmly so she can't wriggle, and shut my own eyes (peeking every now and then!) so I don't interact. Once she relaxes I let go of her a d just sit there til she falls asleep. I'm hoping this will graduate into her being able to relax by herself! Maybe worth a go?? (It took three hours first time but now works within 15 mins).

KatAndKit Sat 11-May-13 09:05:18

My DS is 12 months and he only naps in his pushchair. Once he is asleep I just park him in the hallway and get on with what I need to do.

MiaowTheCat Sat 11-May-13 09:32:10

You know your child and what works for you - DD1 is very much a "don't flipping bother me" character when she's trying to get to sleep and has been ever since the maternity ward (which sucked when I wanted lots of snuggly cuddles and she wanted me out of her face to get a bit of shut-eye). DD2 is a snuggler.

I'd leave DD1 and she'd doze off or chatter quietly and at least get some downtime... DD2 - no chance but five minutes cuddle and she'd go back to sleep.

Amazing just what different little personalities they are and how early they emerge as such really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now