Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to dread the commentaryin the media that I believe will happen after the C4 programme Skint?

(50 Posts)
Allthingspretty Thu 09-May-13 21:35:58

Judging by the trailers?

ParsleyTheLioness Thu 09-May-13 21:38:23

I think it will happen...predictably. Sometimes I avoid the media for a couple of days if it's going to really kill my pig.

foslady Thu 09-May-13 21:40:28

I grew up in the town it was filmed in........it has a bad enough time thanks to it's name. It's actually not that bad a place, but now unfortunately this has come along to drag it down............

notsoyoniface Thu 09-May-13 21:42:23

Without sounding dense, what is the program about?

CherylTrole Thu 09-May-13 21:48:44

The media and social networks will tear the people in the show to shreds. Wonder what the real reasons are for making this programme though?

DrCoconut Thu 09-May-13 21:51:15

Foslady. I think you grew up where I currently live! It's in the local paper today about the programme and the family from Westcliff. The media witch hunt will be savage I imagine.

Allthingspretty Thu 09-May-13 21:53:41

Without seeing the programme its hard to guess the aim of the programme however i believe it might be to show that just because your circumstancesight mot be great economically speaking them family units amd values are still strong.

Allthingspretty Thu 09-May-13 21:55:01

Not sure that will come across thougj or that others will take that away (if i am right(

hiddenhome Thu 09-May-13 22:01:53

Is this a documentary? When is it on?

foslady Thu 09-May-13 22:04:45

Yep DrCoconut - moved to Ashby when I was 12 and had a fair few friends/relatives on Westcliff. I feel sorry for majority of people who live on Westcliff and are nothing like that

Allthingspretty Thu 09-May-13 22:06:05

Yes hidden its a doc. Next week i think

LeaveTheBarSteward Thu 09-May-13 22:08:40

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/skint/episode-guide/series-1

LeaveTheBarSteward Thu 09-May-13 22:09:32

Channel 4, 9pm next Monday 13th, what have I done wrong with that link?
I've never done a link before

foslady Thu 09-May-13 22:10:20

www.channel4.com/programmes/skint/episode-guide/series-1

There you go!

hiddenhome Thu 09-May-13 22:12:07

Oh, yes, dh has just said he's seen a trailer for it. I like documentaries, but it sounds like it might just be more stereotypical stuff which insults people.

hiddenhome Thu 09-May-13 22:13:14

Oh dear, yes it looks a bit contrived hmm

whats4teamum Thu 09-May-13 22:20:40

I'm from there too. Oh dear. Not much changed then. Hard to see the point but will watch.

bubblesinthesky Thu 09-May-13 22:33:55

I've looked at the link. It seems episode 2 features someone who is 21 and has 5 children. When I was that age children hadn't even crossed my mind let alone five of them. Assuming there are no multiple births she's spent about 4 1/2 years pregnant.

It makes me realise how much I took for granted at that age - travelling, being at university, hardly having any responsiblity except for myself, staying out late with friends if I wanted to, going where I liked more or less when I liked. I don't think I'd have liked to be tied down with 5 kids and not much money at 21. To be honest I find 2 a struggle sometimes in my mid 30s with a reasonable income.

Sorry not sure where all that came from

AnyFucker Thu 09-May-13 22:37:41

it's not a tv series ....it's a contrivance by the tory party to divide and conquer the populace even more than it already is

the Daily mail will love it

ssd Thu 09-May-13 22:45:25

there was a programme like that in Scotland called the scheme, set in Kilmarnock

Mehrida Thu 09-May-13 22:50:22

Go on youtube and search 'Bullet the dog'. That will give you an idea what the Scheme portrayed.

Mehrida Thu 09-May-13 22:52:13

Actually, that could bring up something entirely wrong. Go for 'Marvin and Bullet,!

DanteValentine Fri 10-May-13 10:19:25

I watched the first Marvin and Bullet video that came up, what a horrific portrayal of all involved sad

mrsjay Fri 10-May-13 10:22:15

these pogrammes really get on my nerves it is supposed to be a snapshot at modern day britain or something and the people in it will have fame or infamy for a while, The scheme was horrific

mrsjay Fri 10-May-13 10:23:43

it's not a tv series ....it's a contrivance by the tory party to divide and conquer the populace even more than it already is

I bloody love you that is exactly what it will be, lets all be shocked and stunned and disguted at the Lowlife scummy people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now