To want to ask for Friday off work as it's my mum's birthday

(16 Posts)
StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 08-May-13 21:16:11

And she died last November?

Not having a good week.

LindyHemming Wed 08-May-13 21:17:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maxpower Wed 08-May-13 21:18:58

Definitely NU. it'd be good if you felt able to take the time to remember her and celebrate her life.

HollyBerryBush Wed 08-May-13 21:25:26

Do you have to give a reason to take a days leave?

Floralnomad Wed 08-May-13 21:28:13

Personally from the tone of your post I wouldn't ask for a day off I'd go off sick . Take care of yourself X

StrangeGlue Wed 08-May-13 21:30:57

Can you not just ask for the day off without giving a reason? If I was your boss and you told me your op I'd give you the day off

Sorry for your loss

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 08-May-13 21:31:03

Asking for Friday off would be classed as short notice so I'd need to give an "important" reason for needing it. I would have booked it earlier but didn't think I'd need to take the day off as I have been ok for a couple of months now. But all this week I've been having awful dreams about her and am just generally tears. I keep remembering the moment my sister told me she was dead over the phone and its so vivid, I remember every detail.

StuntGirl Wed 08-May-13 21:38:58

If you think they'll question it or deny it then just call in sick. I have been in your position and I understand the emotional turmoil. Look after yourself flowers

MrsMcEnroe Wed 08-May-13 21:40:45

Phone in sick.

So sorry for your loss, I've lost both my parents and it is shit, the grief can strike at random times. It's only been a few months since your mum passed away; be kind to yourself and take the time you need to remember her and to deal with how you're feeling x

Catmint Wed 08-May-13 21:40:59

Another one suggesting you call in sick. You need this time to grieve, and to protect your mental health.

Shutupanddrive Wed 08-May-13 21:42:53

If you have an understanding boss, and you know someone could cover your shift then ask, otherwise phone in sick. It's only one day, don't feel bad, you sound like you need it

mrsjay Wed 08-May-13 21:43:17

take a sick day lovey you sound sad thanks

maddening Wed 08-May-13 23:01:01

So is your boss sympathetic generally? Do you have quotas/limits for number of people off and how do the currently booked holidays compare to that?

Damash12 Thu 09-May-13 02:50:32

Aww I really understand what you are going through. I lost my mum 2 years ago and it was her birthday on Monday. Luckily I am onager nitty leave but last year I booked the day off. It's very hard and it is very early days for you. It does get easier but even now I get upset. Take care of yourself and feel free to inbox me if you want too.

DeskPlanner Thu 09-May-13 07:52:56

I'd phone in sick to be honest. Take care.thanks

Iggi101 Thu 09-May-13 08:02:31

You are sick, as in you are not physically or emotionally able to work.
It might be easier giving a "dodgy tummy" type reason to work, but don't think that you are not entitled to a sick day - mental health is as important as physical surely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: