Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to give DD calpol even if she doesn't have a fever...?

(25 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Wed 08-May-13 18:14:29

She had 8w jabs today.

Haven't given her anything yet as she has no fever.

But she is crying inconsolably poor little thing, that is when she is not slumped asleep on me.

Is it ok to give calpol even if she is not feverish? I don't know if she is in discomfort somehow and calpol might help? But is it only for use with fever?
Don't want to give her anything unnecessarily but don't want her to be in discomfort if I can do anything about it.

Sorry if it is a really stupid question, first time mum and I don't know what the hell I am doing!!

Btw it is normal for her to be really out of sorts, yes?

Squitten Wed 08-May-13 18:17:08

Calpol is for pain relief too so personally I would

Sparhawk Wed 08-May-13 18:17:19

My DD had a bad reaction to her injections, I was advised to give her Calpol my NHSDirect even though she didn't have a fever because they could hear her screaming hysterically in the background.

infamouspoo Wed 08-May-13 18:17:23

its a painkiller. If you think she is in pain then give calpol.

PoppyWearer Wed 08-May-13 18:17:46

Aww, poor thing.

Personally I would give her the Calpol, the area where the jabs were might be stinging.

(I am not a medical expert, just a mum.)

Totally normal to be out of sorts IMO - although my two both conked out and slept forever afterwards.

Hope she cheers up soon.

tattychicken Wed 08-May-13 18:18:07

Yep me too. Not just for fevers.

Cakebaker35 Wed 08-May-13 18:18:44

Yes it is! My DD was just like that after jabs, she got worse and worse until I called the doc as she was so hysterical, they said it was fine to give calpol and I should've been told that at the time apparently! It will not harm them provided you give the right dose. I am sure your DD will sleep it off and feel lots better tomorrow x

JackieTheFart Wed 08-May-13 18:18:45

It's not just for fever so yes.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 08-May-13 18:19:46

Yes, it is normal for her to be out of sorts. Calpol might help, it might not, but it won't do any harm.

ipswichwitch Wed 08-May-13 18:20:01

The nurse told me to give DS a dose right after his jabs. Like a fool I didn't listen the first time and he was howling. After that he got it each time, and we avoided the hysteria

emeraldgirl1 Wed 08-May-13 18:20:06

Thanks everyone.
I feel in need of something painkilling myself, in chilled glass form...
Feel stupidly upset!
I know I am being totally pfb!!

caramelwaffle Wed 08-May-13 18:22:07

wine

Sparhawk Wed 08-May-13 18:22:55

You're not being PFB, it's awful seeing your baby upset.

emeraldgirl1 Wed 08-May-13 18:23:04

Thanks caramelwaffle smile

caramelwaffle Wed 08-May-13 18:36:24

That's ok. Currently have a bottle of Calpol opened here also.

Don't feel stupid wine

PoppyWearer Wed 08-May-13 19:09:35

You are not being PFB!

wine

claremp7 Wed 08-May-13 19:21:42

We were told by hv to give her some at 8 weeks injections as soon as we got home. So I would go for it.

MorganLeFey Wed 08-May-13 19:30:12

There are some arguments against giving it routinely just-in-case after immunizations due to potentially reducing the immune response - which is what you want to be stimulated when vaccinating.

E.g. http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/10October/Pages/paracetamol-vaccine-injection-research.aspx

(But obviously if you think your child needs it then you give it..!)

MamaBear17 Wed 08-May-13 19:42:51

My dd had the same reaction and settled much better after one dose of calpol x

ToupOfRegDwight Wed 08-May-13 20:37:13

Yeah I gave my daughter calpol after her first jabs. The nurse at her 3 month ones gave the hmm face but backed down when I asked if she takes pain killers when she's in pain.

NoWayPedro Wed 08-May-13 20:52:30

I remember not really wanting to give any calpol, thought I was drugging her up the first time and felt bad for some reason, until I read how mean it is denying them any pain relief when they're out of sorts etc.

sparklekitty Wed 08-May-13 20:54:58

I use calpol as a painkiller for my DD. She's never had a fever in her 7m but had plenty of calpol.

If she's really crying she's probably in pain (headache or sore leg from injection) I'd give it to her.

Incidentally my nurse told us at DD 12 weeks jabs that we could now give her the full 5mg confused. Wasn't till we got home and read the box that we realised she couldn't have the 5mg till 6m.

emeraldgirl1 Wed 08-May-13 21:01:04

Thanks everyone!
She had calpol with her evening bottle and is asleep now. Poor little thing, she was screaming the place down til it kicked in. Properly outraged at today's events, she was!!
Feel much better myself now!

MiaowTheCat Wed 08-May-13 21:10:39

Just laughing at the outrage comment as it reminded me. Went in to get my whooping cough jab done recently while pregnant with DD2... had DD1 with me in the buggy and the nurse was trying to make her smile, chattering away etc and asks me "oooh how old's she now" - I reply 10 months (was a few months ago) and she chirpily turns to DD1 and says "oooh I'll be seeing you again soon in a couple of months"

DD1's face in response was just pure disgust.

scaevola Wed 08-May-13 21:12:26

I'm glad she's feeling better!

Calpol is a painkiller, and isn't recommended just for bringing down a fever. Obviously if your hot child appeared to be in pain, then you would.

And it shouldn't be given routinely with jabs, as pp said, but is definitely OK to give for pain after them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now