Talk

Advanced search

to not believe dd has a headache every time I tell her she needs to practise for her times table test

(14 Posts)
bubblesinthesky Wed 08-May-13 18:03:36

Or am I just a horrid mummy?

Honestly though every single time over the last 2 or 3 weeks I've told her its time to practice for her times table test she develops a terrible head ache and has to lie down.

Her test at school is tomorrow so tonight I suggested 20 minutes ago it was time to practice the 4 times table. A terrible headache ensued shes lying on the floor groaning.

Otherwise she never has a headache.

AIBU?

ISeeSmallPeople Wed 08-May-13 18:06:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trinity0097 Wed 08-May-13 18:16:23

Ask her if she has a headache if no, then tell her to do practice with no excuses!

LastTangoInDevonshire Wed 08-May-13 18:22:34

I'd play the REALLY concerned Mummy.........

"Oh, no, not another headache. Bed for you my girl, only soup for dinner, and no tv, books or computer for a week. Perhaps you need glasses, so we'll take you to get your eyes tested and if that doesn't make any difference then we will have to stop ALL computer and tv for a month to see if it that helps. You poor thing, let me give you a cuddle."

superfluouscurves Wed 08-May-13 18:24:16

point her towards timez attack ... unless her headache is too painful of course wink

ConfusedPixie Wed 08-May-13 18:25:53

YANbU, do as LastTango suggests

anklebitersmum Wed 08-May-13 18:32:22

grin LastTango A Mum after my own sneakiness heart

AmberLeaf Wed 08-May-13 18:34:30

Have you talked to her about why she is so worried about this test?

PumpkinPositive Wed 08-May-13 18:36:54

I'm getting a headache just thinking about X tables so my sympathy lies with your daughter. really, what is the point in the age of the calculator grin

sue52 Wed 08-May-13 18:41:16

It's a bit late for her to learn for a test tomorrow. My DD learnt her tables with the aid of a sing-a- long tape from the Early Learning Centre. We used to put it on in the car and during breakfast. It was a bit tedious for us adults but it drummed them into DD.

teenagetantrums Wed 08-May-13 18:46:10

my daughter is 16 I still think she does not know her timetables, we had to learn them heart I can still do them all, not sure what the point was.

bubblesinthesky Wed 08-May-13 19:13:06

Thanks.

I have been trying to get her to practice the bloody 4 times tables for the last 2 weeks but without success. I think the trouble is the first week they do it in order which she can do perfectly well so she gets full marks. She can not do it out of order though which is what they test in the second week adn what I'm trying to help her with.

I'll try looking for some games wish I'd thought of it sooner. The headache has disappeared because I told her not to worry about it for now and to work on learning her poem for her assembly next week instead (on the ning nang nong)

Off to explore the links

pointythings Wed 08-May-13 19:24:16

I'd be even more horrible and point out to her that being able to do times tables whilst suffering a headache is going to be a useful skill in later life. But then I'm hard, me...

IShallWearMidnight Wed 08-May-13 19:37:20

DD1 never learned her times tables, and her punishment is to do maths at uni while suffering migraines wink
I have a "need to go to the loo" every time singing practice or emptying the dishwasher is mentioned DC though, so I feel your pain

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now