Talk

Advanced search

To have intervened

(21 Posts)
VAVAV00M Wed 08-May-13 15:00:34

Walking to the shops this morning down a main road which leads to a motor way. A mother with a toddler was walking about a block ahead of him screaming at him to hurry up and insulting him for being slow (he was very short and wearing a large coat and wellies) I was just shockshockshock at seeing this. Mother said F this and carried on walking while child walked onto road, I immanently picked him up while woman in question screamed at ME, I explained but she was having none of it, I gave her child back only for her to hurl more abuse at me...

I couldn't tell child's age, he was very small but walked and had very good vocabulary. About knee height, 3 year old max.

Poor poor child sad

loopylou6 Wed 08-May-13 15:08:02

The child actually walked onto the road? shock ywnbu.

VAVAV00M Wed 08-May-13 15:53:37

Bump

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Wed 08-May-13 15:57:50

Oh no, poor lamb. Of course you did the right thing. Poor kid having to go home with that idiot.

I had a very similar incident a few years ago while waiting at a bus stop. Just as the bus pulled up a 3-year-old-ish child stepped off the kerb right in front of it. I jumped down and grabbed the kid just as the driver noticed and slammed on the brakes. The mother appeared out of nowhere and squared up to me, screaming that I was a 'paedo'. Really shook me up at the time.

WorraLiberty Wed 08-May-13 15:58:13

You're really asking if YWBU to stop a child that small wondering into a road?

VAVAV00M Wed 08-May-13 16:03:50

It was the mother thinking IWBU not me, there was a large oil tank coming up that's why I grabbed him. He was the cutest little boy I've ever seen though smilesmilesmile

VAVAV00M Wed 08-May-13 17:04:32

Where is everyone lately?

ILikeToClean Wed 08-May-13 17:09:59

No you were not BU, stupid woman was probably embarrassed that she walked off and left her child, so had to have a go at you to take the focus off the fact, iyswim!

MammaTJ Wed 08-May-13 17:18:28

I agree with ILikeToClean, it was probably total embarrasment. It does not make it any more right, but is a little more understandable.

andubelievedthat Wed 08-May-13 17:25:32

OH, so its ok to go off on one because you ignored your own child's safety and a.n.other member of public had to step in to insure his safety,which allows a torrent of abuse ? well i never !(must remember that, I would have thought a thanks would have been in order?)

VAVAV00M Wed 08-May-13 17:33:51

She did seem concerned what others were thinking but the nursery was a couple yards away she could've just easily picked him up (he was very small and skinny) or brought a pushchair along (nursery has a 'pram shed')

he wasn't refusing to walk, just slow, couldn't walk in a straight line and just couldn't keep with an adult pace. He did shout over " MOMMY I'M TRYING SLOW DOWN MOMMY!!!!"

VAVAV00M Wed 08-May-13 17:37:04

I've lived in the area for years, my mother hold my hand walking up the road until I was 12 and is very hilly so you can't fully tell when cars are coming and lorries pass constantly, that is why I was so shockshockshock

gordyslovesheep Wed 08-May-13 18:10:13

ywnbu to grab him out of the path of a lorry no

YABU in constantly bumping your thread until you have got enough kudos for doing it though grin

TidyDancer Wed 08-May-13 19:42:52

What Gordy said. All of what Gordy said. smile

CookieLady Wed 08-May-13 19:48:13

Gordy grin

Goldenbear Wed 08-May-13 21:43:31

I wonder if we live in the same area. I had a very similar experience- a woman walking down a hill very quickly, a very small boy trying to catch up with her and was being told to hurry up, was sworn at. He didn't look much older than my DD who is 25 months but like in your situation, the boy was very articulate and said, 'I am coming, I am coming.' He looked at my DC as my son had a toy car that he was playing with on a tree whilst he stood waiting for me to lock the car. He didn't stop but the woman got angry at him for even looking and when he got closer to her as she had stopped, shouted right into his face (about a couple of inches away from her face) to keep walking. It was horrible, she was smaller than me so I said to her that he wasn't staring at us, she just ignored me other than giving me a very aggressive stare and walked off.

loopylou6 Thu 09-May-13 08:49:37

grin gordy.

I love how my response was totally ignored and instead replaced with a quick everyone, come and tell me how amazing I am 'bump'

Slainte Thu 09-May-13 08:52:41

What Gordy said.

Pigsmummy Thu 09-May-13 21:57:00

Poor boy, well done x

Pigsmummy Thu 09-May-13 21:58:21

Bump

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 09-May-13 22:01:55

grin Bump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now