Talk

Advanced search

to be crapping myself about getting on a bus with a 2 year old and a baby?

(57 Posts)
needaholidaynow Tue 07-May-13 15:46:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummytoMog Tue 07-May-13 15:48:06

How about a baby carrier? My connecta carrier was a godsend when I had to travel with DD (eighteen months) and a newborn DS.

needaholidaynow Tue 07-May-13 15:49:12

Lambzig Tue 07-May-13 15:50:32

Where are you? In London it really varies. I think you need to be prepared to have thick skin and plan that you may have a longer journey if you have to wait for a bus with spaces.

I go on the bus with DC 1 in a pushchair and DC 2 in a sling and people are generally ver helpful. Bus drivers can be narky though.

pinksomething Tue 07-May-13 15:50:35

I would use a sling for the baby on the bus. Ours only have a couple of pram/disabled spaces so rather than having to possibly fold pram/juggle bags/hold baby, you can just pop the baby in a sling or carrier.

Crinkle77 Tue 07-May-13 15:52:20

What about reins instead of a push chair? Most bus drivers would surely be used to people getting on with them and would give you time to get on? When you get to the bus stop how about you take your son out and have the push chair folded up ready to get on the bus.

needaholidaynow Tue 07-May-13 15:56:00

needaholidaynow Tue 07-May-13 15:58:42

NynaevesSister Tue 07-May-13 15:59:43

where are you and how frequently do the buses run? Our local bus is a little one, a hoppa. This means it doesn't have a lot of pushchair space but it is a lot easier to get on with pushchair, and direct the toddler into a seat or have him stand next to the buggy holding it. As it is a hoppa, it is usually local people so everyone is friendly. It is just that you have to be prepared to wait for the next one if all the spaces are taken.

How full are the buses at the time you are travelling? If it is early-ish then it is going to be quiet, and you will have plenty of time to park the buggy on their then guide 2 year old and yourself to a seat.

SomethingSuitablyWitty Tue 07-May-13 16:00:49

Yes they easy and lots of babies sleep all the time in a sling or carrier so no crying or fusing to contend with and both hands free for the 2 yr old's pushchair. This is what I do when out and about with both and people help a lot with the buggy. Good luck! Will be fine. I found a baby Bjorn good up to about 9 kilos (after using a wrap sling for the first months when the baby needs extra head support). If your baby is heavier than that, something else might be better.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Tue 07-May-13 16:01:10

I uses buses all the time and I have a 3 year old and a baby. Give yourself plenty of time in case the wheelchair and pushchair spaces are already occupied and you have to wait for another bus.

needaholidaynow Tue 07-May-13 16:04:17

needaholidaynow Tue 07-May-13 16:07:46

jacks365 Tue 07-May-13 16:11:11

I'm Manchester area and on and off buses all the time if timing is critical i'd recommend a carrier or sling as its not uncommon to have to wait for an empty bus. My own preference is a sling.

pregnantpause Tue 07-May-13 16:12:36

I used both the carrier and pushchair on buses at that age. People are, for the most part, helpful. Worst case scenario you have to fold the pram. Enlist a woman to hold baby, make ds feel important, ask him to help by holding the changing bag and find a seat. Take back baby, sit downsmile I've only ever had to do this once in twelve months of travelling on buses once a week with toddler and baby. You'll be fine.
Carriers ate great but pose their own battles- you have to hold your bag, your ds and pay the driver. You are also slower for bolters if your ds is so inclined. Once you're used to it it can be a God send.

VinegarDrinker Tue 07-May-13 16:13:20

I hope it's not all that daunting as I'll be doing it pretty much daily come July... (we don't have a car).

Definitely thinks slings are easier than buggies for public transport though.

usualsuspect Tue 07-May-13 16:15:12

What are you scared of?

usualsuspect Tue 07-May-13 16:16:53

It's easy to wheel a buggy onto a bus

EasilyBored Tue 07-May-13 16:22:20

needa where abouts in the Manc area are you roughly? Have found buses in the north slightly better than buses in the south. Avoid buses in the Oxford Road/Fallowfield area like the plague!

VinegarDrinker Tue 07-May-13 16:23:45

I just find slings easier as they take up a lot less room and leave you with two hands free. They also guarantee you'll actually be able to get on, whereas certainly round here, if there are already 2 buggies you aren't allowed on.

VerySmallSqueak Tue 07-May-13 16:26:08

I did it with a baby and an under 2 and I can really understand what you are saying OP.
I was really nervous the first time I had to go on a bus alone.

The thing is,that the reality isn't as bad as the thought of it.
Take the time you need to do it and don't fret that you are holding the bus up or causing an inconvenience. If people don't like it they can help.
And I think you'll find that most of the time they will.

I had mine in a one in front of the other buggy.Some buses on our route where we lived then were ones you could take the buggy on,and some were ones you had to fold it.

The worst ones were where a bus turned up that needed me to fold the buggy.But because I didn't know what type the bus would be,and because one of the children would invariably be asleep,and because they were very unreliable so I couldn't judge when they would be there (infrequent rural service),I couldn't get organised in advance.

I just used to work my way through and make myself not start flapping.

FWIW I used to get lots of help from lots of lovely people,and not a single person ever made a bad comment or rolled their eyes at me.

It will be fine.You will get a system.

needaholidaynow Tue 07-May-13 16:26:46

needaholidaynow Tue 07-May-13 16:29:57

usualsuspect Tue 07-May-13 16:31:55

Once you have done it, you will wonder why you were scared.

Buses are very buggy friendly these days.

VerySmallSqueak Tue 07-May-13 16:33:00

The other option is maybe for DP to take the baby in a sling with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now