Talk

Advanced search

To loathe those cancer ads.

(84 Posts)
CalamityKate Tue 07-May-13 12:32:23

You know, the "hey cancer you prat. We're not scared of you" ones?

I can't see the point if them. They make me squirm and I'm not sure why.

Dfg15 Tue 07-May-13 12:33:36

I don't like them either, they seem too aggressive and nasty - I know cancer is like that, but those ads do make me feel uncomfortable.

litterrage Tue 07-May-13 12:44:25

Yeah I don't like them either.

i dont like them either

ExRatty Tue 07-May-13 12:45:03

I haven't seen them but I am scared of cancer.
Advertisers using another ridiculous "fight" analogy isn't helpful

Spartak Tue 07-May-13 12:47:13

I don't like the "cancer, we're coming to get you" which has been on the radio a lot recently. Im not really sure why, just makes me uncomfortable.

Lulabellarama Tue 07-May-13 12:47:45

It's not about individuals fighting cancer, they are CRUK adverts, so it's about fighting cancer through research.
They have been very successful but plenty of people don't like them much, there have been some complaints.

CRUK employee

QuintessentialOHara Tue 07-May-13 12:48:24

It sounds bullying.

Pootles2010 Tue 07-May-13 12:49:00

No they're awful. The making you squirm thing - its because someone shouting at the camera, as if at you, is effectively the same as them shouting at you .

I grew up in a very shouty household and they make me wince - very triggering I think.

KatoPotato Tue 07-May-13 12:49:00

They are cringey cringey cringey!

I don't appreciate 'Cancer you PRAT' during daytime tv either yes my DS3 may have repeated it lots

TheDeadlyDonkey Tue 07-May-13 12:51:00

I don't like them.
Whether my mil was scared or not, it was still the same outcome for her when she died of cancer.
Not sure what this advert is setting out to achieve.

domesticslattern Tue 07-May-13 12:53:11

There was another thread on this, pretty much in agreement with you. CRUK should take note of the people on that thread saying that the ads put them off donating- though maybe they think all publicity is good publicity.

Bobyan Tue 07-May-13 12:56:03

They should have spent the money on advertising ways of reducing your risk of cancer, rather than this advertising campaign.
It actually puts me off donating to that particular charity, if that's how they will spend my donations.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Tue 07-May-13 12:58:32

I don't like them either.

The one where it says 'up yours cancer' with an x-ray flicking the V's. No other advert would get away with that so why does this one?

Its all overly aggressive.

HairyPotter Tue 07-May-13 13:16:24

I don't like them either. My lovely mum died from cancer and all the shouting in the world didn't make a jot of difference.

I feel like people think you will beat it if you are strong enough. The advert seems to reinforce that message. It might just be me who thinks that way though. sad

MarshaBrady Tue 07-May-13 13:23:16

Awful. I may remember it but not which charity is responsible. Not the right way to go at all.

Too aggressive, glib and pointless.

MelanieCheeks Tue 07-May-13 13:28:31

Yes they make me uneasy too.

My cousin died from cance last year, and my stepson with sepcial needs has an artifical eye thanks to retinal blastoma. I'm currently raising money for Clic Sargent, another cancer charity.

I think it's the way that cancer is "personified" in these ads, like it's an evil being capable of thoughts and actions, which can be defeated in a battle if we have a big enough gun.

Guitargirl Tue 07-May-13 13:31:39

YANBU

They are just awful. My MIL had just died of cancer when that particular campaign started and I had to switch the TV off/over every time they came on as it got DP frothing at the mouth.

I know they have to advertise to raise funds for their research but really there must be more effective ways of raising the public consciousness than those utterly pointless, aggressive <how does it matter how angry you get> campaigns.

Macmillan for instance are running a series of ads at the moment which are much more effective IMO.

Crinkle77 Tue 07-May-13 13:34:16

I don't like them either. There seems to be this perception that if you fight cancer hard enough you can beat it.

Forwardscatter Tue 07-May-13 13:37:01

I like it. It's refreshing change from the bog standard charity ad which is usually naff as fuck. But no ad will please everyone. Different strokes blah blah.

OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Tue 07-May-13 13:38:06

YANBU - they sound as though they are aimed at children, or adolescents. It belittles it I feel, but suppose it is meant to make it 'accessible' or something. YY to Crinkle - Competitive Cancer Beating or something. Oh sorry dear, you didn't fight quite hard enough... hmm

BaldricksTurnip Tue 07-May-13 13:41:11

I actually submitted a complaint to the Advertising Standards Agency regarding this advert. My complaint was based in the inappropriate language used and the time of day it was broadcast- when my very young DC's were viewing. They did reply and said that they had received a number of similar complaints but they felt that the issues raised by the advert (fighting cancer) overrode the inappropriate language ie 'Prat'. My lovely nan had a horrible battle with lung cancer which she lost last year and would have been horrified by the tone and content of the advert. She died with grace and dignity and I think that this advert fails to convey the bravery of many sufferers and their families in favour of shock tactics to make people come up with the cash. I am very unhappy with the ASA's response to be honest.

LaGuardia Tue 07-May-13 13:52:40

Any marketing campaign aims to get people talking about the 'product' and this ad has definitely achieved that. They want to motivate people to raise money to pay for research. People don't beat cancer - drugs and surgery do.

sickaboutit Tue 07-May-13 13:53:01

i hate them. Its a weird attempt to personify cancer; as if over coming cancer was all about attitude..

but then I assumed they had done their research, and people with cancer related to this?? confused

Forwardscatter Tue 07-May-13 13:56:36

hull your comments are interesting - I didn't see the ad that way at all. I didn't think it was an individual fight, more about people getting together to raise money for research. And I do think that in a battle between disease and science.. science will win. That's quite positive and empowering to me.
I thought it captured the anger and rage people feel towards a fucker of a disease really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now