Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be pissed off by my neighbours constant bonfires?

(7 Posts)
BlackMini Tue 07-May-13 11:49:04

I live in a flat and have been here a year now. We are on a hill and the plot below is a house that has been empty and worked on since we got here.

All my windows face down the hill and every single day for the past couple of weeks they have had a bonfire. Fine when I'm working as I can ignore it, but FFS a gorgeous sunny bank holiday? As we get all the sun streaming through in the morning I have to choose between boiling alive or having my entire flat stinking of smoke.

Why can't they just take their stuff to the dump like everyone else?!

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 07-May-13 11:51:12

If it genuinely is every day then it could be considered to be a nuisance and you could have ways to resolve it

https://www.gov.uk/garden-bonfires-rules

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 07-May-13 12:14:02

I'm sure they aren't actually allowed to have bonfires every day. If it is causing a problem then contact the council.

Fakebook Tue 07-May-13 12:16:40

Contact the council and complain. We had neighbours burning rubber once years ago. Every evening they'd burn rubber. The whole street contacted the council and they stopped.

frazmum Tue 07-May-13 12:23:13

YANBU - how annoying and as others have said probably shouldn't be allowed. If it goes on this week I'd get in touch with the council

pickledginger Tue 07-May-13 12:29:52

If they're builders they are avoiding the cost of a skip and paying commercial dumping costs by burning stuff. And if they've got a few jobs on it's quite possible that they're using this empty site to get rid of rubbish from their other sites.

MiaowTheCat Tue 07-May-13 20:36:33

We had this last summer - only way we even got environmental health to do anything was the fact it was builders burning waste (as the house in question was having so much building/garden work because they seemed determined to cram every design/lifestyle idea they'd ever seen in B+Q into one two-bed semi) and trying to avoid skip charges. They said they'd come out and tell them to stop - it had no effect.

The time I called the fire brigade as the builders had set a bonfire off very near the next door fence and vanished off home for the night and it was still blaring away at 11pm totally unattended had a bit of an effect though. (We weren't being arses, didn't ring 999 or anything - but didn't feel safe going to bed with it being left unattended as the family had moved out while the builders were in and it was right up next to a fence).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now