Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that there is a lot of nonsense in child rearing?

(22 Posts)

"If you let them have that sippy cup much longer they will never learn to drink out of a cup"

"If you go to them every time they cry they won't learn to go to sleep by themselves"

"If you ...

Seriously? Does anyone think that we will be sending our kids off to university with sippy cups and a need for mummy to sit with them as they go to sleep?

freddiemisagreatshag Sun 05-May-13 17:48:53

I started a thread like this once.

It did not end well.

CocacolaMum Sun 05-May-13 17:50:02

fetches the popcorn from the cupboard without child safety locks

Carry on

CocacolaMum Sun 05-May-13 17:50:28

oo hullo I went all bold there

MyShoofly Sun 05-May-13 17:51:41

I'm sure your quite correct in many respects OP.

Oh dear...

Oh well.

NB I am not saying that it is bad to take sippy cups away, just that not doing so isn't dooming your child to a lifetime of assisted cuppage. However, I do have to say that some adults are quite attached to their adult sippy cups (Starbucks).

andubelievedthat Sun 05-May-13 19:51:53

Slurping wine from sippy cup and agog to see where this may go.

Raspberrysorbet Sun 05-May-13 19:56:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CombineBananaFister Sun 05-May-13 19:58:45

Agree raspberry. That's how I give my toddler wine, terribly clumsy grin

jacks365 Sun 05-May-13 20:05:00

Wish she would have a sippy cup but Dd4 wants a big open cup like mummy instead, maybe i should go to Starbucks more cos she also enjoys pouring said open cup onto coffee table and spreading it round.

I also wish she'd pick some food up instead of insisting on eating with a fork, peas spring to mind or bananas best one though had to be the grape.

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 20:06:33

All this stuff really depends on the child and the parents...can't generalise.

Sirzy Sun 05-May-13 20:07:00

Jacks - when he was about 18 months DS ate jelly and ice cream with a fork!

nokidshere Sun 05-May-13 20:07:16

Yanbu

According to my family my boys were never going to sleep in their own beds without being rocked/fed to sleep. They were never going to learn to behave without a smack. They were never going to learn to play alone. They were never going to learn to read if I kept reading to them.... The list was endless...and pointless.

Needless to say that neither of my two strapping teens walk around with dummies, nappies, sippy cups and the are both perfectly able to sleep alone without a boob or being rocked. And they have still never had a smack but manage to behave and are polite. Oh and they can both read smile

jacks365 Sun 05-May-13 20:11:25

Sirzy she ended up picking the grape up and putting it onto the prongs of the fork then eating it. On the bright side it did keep her occupied for about 10 mins. Must try the jelly and ice cream.

woopsidaisy Sun 05-May-13 20:14:18

Well, I am a nice normal person. Nurse. Kind.
Then I had kids.
Patenting doesn't come naturally to me. * I don't know* what to do. How to discipline. How to ' get them' to do things. I'm the person who needs the books. Because otherwise I wouldn't have a flipping clue what to do. And I turn into a screechy lady with zero patience-that my kids lUgh at! And people may say just use your instincts, you're a mother, you'll know what to do. But I don't!
I was forever panicking about making mistakes that would damage my kids forever!
I still do a bit. But I have also realised as they grew up, that they will grow up. And one day I imagine they will want to grow up, and be more independent. And not want the sippy cup, and go to sleep without me! grin
So I know they will head off one day and be ok. But while they are small I need advice. The helpful kind.

Isiolo Sun 05-May-13 20:18:00

You are making a rod for your own back,<tut> <eyeball roll>

MoonlightandRoses Sun 05-May-13 20:55:09

YANBU - best comment I've come across re the whole child-rearing malarkey was made by a, possibly gay, Edwardian man.

"I'm a mother myself, said the sow, as she sat on the eggs." (Saki) grin

Jacks, one of mine insisted on a regular cup with a straw. He promptly scratched his eye up when he misjudged the distance. Cue older baby/toddler screaming at me and doctor when we stuck antibiotic ointment in his eye and than trying his hardest to get the tape and patch off his eye every second for a week. Ugh. Sippy cups rock.

No kids, are you sure, your kids aren't at college in nappies because you rocked them to sleep?

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 05-May-13 21:00:14

Wine in a sippy cup, Pah! Don't you realise it should be in their bottle? grin

Woops, my bug isn't that some people like the advice. It is the unsolicited advice from strangers in the supermarket and your aunt twice removed by marriage.

honeytea Sun 05-May-13 21:04:05

I had a bottle till I was 7, I do have very fond memories of my bottle and hope one day ds will have a bottle so I can have a secret go. I have tried him on a special nipple shaped bottle and he refused, I tried the nipple shaped bottle and it was not the same as my lovely old bottle, I should go out and buy a 99p bottle for old times sake.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 05-May-13 21:11:04

I know what you mean self

There's alot of information out there, some works for some and not for others, and some is just total bull that apparantly worked for someones neighbours' sisters' brother in laws' bin mans' wifes' cousin so must be true

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now