Talk

Advanced search

to think all facts should be learnt in song form?

(27 Posts)
kim147 Sat 04-May-13 19:37:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MamaMumra Sat 04-May-13 19:39:50

I'm with you. DS got full marks in a test because of Horrible Histories. YANBU

phantomnamechanger Sat 04-May-13 19:40:25

I can still remember all the songs my little brother (15 years younger than me) learnt at infant school in the 80s when the "letterland" scheme of learning phonics was all the rage

Ds has been learning songs at school for his tables - it works!

phantomnamechanger Sat 04-May-13 19:41:01

HH is the best kids programme ever! those songs are ace!

MamaMumra Sat 04-May-13 19:41:40

schoolhouse rock

InMySpareTime Sat 04-May-13 19:42:02

Using song to memorise facts is as old as language! People passed on histories and life-lessons as ballads and folk songs long before written language developed. Music, repetition and rhythm give the brain extra "hooks" to hang memories on.
I'm a storyteller, and it's amazing what even pre-schoolers can remember about stories with songs or rhymes.

JollyOrangeGiant Sat 04-May-13 19:42:20

DH is utterly rubbish at remembering song lyrics. Or poems. This would scupper him completely.

I am rubbish at tunes but great at lyrics so we make a good team grin

MamaMumra Sat 04-May-13 19:42:26

They are phantom. Genius grin

AKissIsNotAContract Sat 04-May-13 19:49:37

Yeah, I still remember the bible rap from school and I'm an atheist. Music definitely lodges in the brain more than straightforward facts.

marjproops Sat 04-May-13 19:57:59

yep, horrible history songs are the best.

also i remmeber my times tables from that song '2 and 2 are 4, 4 and 4 are 8'.......

and when in nursery, the alpahabet song.

GroupieGirl Sat 04-May-13 20:17:00

I can provide many many links to good learning songs!

But my favourite is the elements song, I can still get pretty far some [many] years later.

<Deep breath in> There's hydrogenandheliumandlithium,beriliumandboronandcarbonandnitrogenandoxygen...

Or if you need halp with your grammar...

Learning Adverbs

Startail Sat 04-May-13 20:27:19

are there anyother old biochemists about who remeber this ?

MagratOfStolat Sat 04-May-13 20:31:35

Theeeeeeeeere's.....

Antimony, Arsenic, Aluminium, Selenium and Hydrogen and Oxygen and Nitrogen and Rhenium and Nickel, Neodymium, Neptunium, Germanium and Iron, Americium, Ruthenium, Uranium!!!!

I love that I remember that. And all the lyrics to Tge Universe Song from Monty Python.

ReadytoOrderSir Sat 04-May-13 20:33:38

William William Henry Stephen Henry Richard John (Oi!)

And Percy Parker for times tables: my class either groan or cheer when I put one on!

These guys are good... ks2songs.blogspot.co.uk/

tethersend Sat 04-May-13 20:34:48

Yy, I still remember a passage of Macbeth due to our third year English teacher making us sing it to the tune of All that she wants (is another baby).

CoolaSchmoola Sat 04-May-13 20:40:57

I realised this when I was very young. Every time I had to learn something I learnt it to a relevant song. As a drama student I learnt all my lines this way.

I remember the words to literally thousands of songs, plus all the lines of every show I've ever done. I remember songs from nursery (I'm 34), songs I learnt in French at 7, and all the hymns in the Songs of Praise book we used in primary school.

I sometimes wonder just how much space there would be for other stuff if there wasn't any music in my head lol!

extremepie Sat 04-May-13 20:46:00

I remember a radio advert that was basically a story of the 3 little pigs in song form - it was advertising windows for some reason!

I can recite the whole thing still, including the company name and telephone number even though it was nearly 15 years ago :D

That was an effective advert!

GroupieGirl Sat 04-May-13 21:01:55

Startail - why did nobody tell me about that when I was studying biochemistry?!

You can get the MP3s here, though!

All we had was the Amateur Transplants...which, whilst funny, was not always strictly relevant...

The Drugs Song and The Finals Countdown were often heard in our flat full of medics near exam time.

Anthracite Sat 04-May-13 21:04:33

My DD's Science teacher has an unending array of songs for every topic. Rumour has it that her GCSE students silently sing their way through GCSE papers.

kaytola Sat 04-May-13 21:04:53

Extremepie - SAUSAGE SANDWICH!!

Gotta love Coldseal windows jingles smile

HollyBerryBush Sat 04-May-13 21:07:50

Learning by rote makes things stick in your head ....take a note, twatty Ofsted people

iPadTypo Sat 04-May-13 21:10:39

I have a Yankee Doodle song that tells me how to find out x in any quadratic equation!

I would love horrible history mp3 songs or a cd even. Can you even get them?

Schooldidi Sat 04-May-13 21:11:21

My year 11 class all sing whenever they see a question about circles. It's brilliant. The circles song is sung by a cornish farmer so year 11 sing it in that accent even though we live at the other end of the country grin

CoolaSchmoola Sat 04-May-13 21:13:30

A is for alpha, b is for bites, c for yourself that they taste just right. D is for dinner, e is for eggs letters so tasty from a through to z. Made by Bird's Eye, you can't buy better, and called Alphabites cos each one's a letter!

Even bloody adverts stick like glue.

Theas18 Sat 04-May-13 21:19:23

Absolutely agree with the OP!

My dad was a junior school teacher in the 1970s when you were allowed to have a class for the less able students. He loved his "thick kids"(I know, non PC ) and they loved him. These were lads in a mining village who really had been written off academically by 8yrs old. He took them and play his guitar and they sang, and learned. They learned times tables and especially history ( which fed into feeling that reading about stuff was interesting too) . I can remember him singing about Samuel Pepys diary and the fire of London In a song called "Sam Pepys little Black book" and the plague in a song about Eyam. I think he must have written thrm himself as I can find no on line reference.

And this hilarious shanty style tale
www.musicanet.org/robokopp/shanty/chishark.htm

Which is fun and stretches a persons vocabulary if nothing else!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now