Talk

Advanced search

to find this extremely irritating?

(11 Posts)
petal2008 Sat 04-May-13 17:46:31

Just started a new job. I was pleased to find that the team I work with are all similar age to me (i.e middle aged with teenagers or older DCs).

In my previous job I worked with people mostly 20 odd years younger than me which was okay but obviously we had little in common as far as family life was concerned and I found myself raising my eyebrows and hoisting judgey pants sometimes at certain comments/actions. On the whole though we got on well.

In this new job some of the women have got this really irritating habit of using what I can only describe as "toddler talk". It's like working in a bloody kindergarten! If someone says something someone will repeat it using a silly baby voice. I can't really explain fully what I mean but it's very, very irritating and I feel like I want to stand and shout "Speak like fucking adults!!!" I think they think it sounds really cute and clever but they sound like complete dickheads and it's really embarrassing. They even sometimes do it on the phone to customers!

Admittedly these are people who phone in every day and we are on first name terms with them but most are men who don't partake in these stupid ways and must think we are idiots.

Has anyone else come across this or am I working in a loony bin?

quoteunquote Sat 04-May-13 17:51:18

Walk backwards towards the door, do NOT make eye contact, and run, run as fast as you can and as far as you can.

or kill them all,

either will work, just pick one.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 04-May-13 17:51:42

I hate this.
They think it's cute.

They are wrong.

HollyBerryBush Sat 04-May-13 17:53:16

I work with one of those too [grr] she thinks she's cute, I tell her to STFU, she thinks I'm so terribly funny. Meanwhile I'm reaching for a blunt and rusty teaspoon with which to disembowel her. We'll see who is laughing then.

mrsjay Sat 04-May-13 17:54:09

I work with a 21 and a 23 year old they are lovely young women but god the baby voices do my head it , we do work with young children but even some of the babies give them confused when they start

KurriKurri Sat 04-May-13 17:54:19

I've never heard of anyone doing this - sounds as if they have got into a sort of weird habit through associating with each other (like certain obscure slang is used in tight little groups of people) - it sounds extremely bizarre not to say unprofessional.

I'd be incredibly irritated by it, - I might even confront it as in 'why do you all talk in that stupid way, is it an in joke?' - but maybe that wouldn't be tactful or make for good work relationships. grin I don't know what you can do about it though.

petal2008 Sat 04-May-13 17:58:49

I did wonder if it was an unconscious (or conscious even!) way of not including me in the team but they are friendly enough otherwise. I think it's just a stupid habit they have got into. I could cringe sometimes and feel embarrassed for them. PMT days are very bad!

Hissy Sat 04-May-13 17:59:11

EVERYONE in my office has that upward into--fucking--nation at the end of the sentence....

No, I'm NOT in Australia.

They also ALL of them say, YOURSELF when YOU is the right word.

Boss says Anythink, everyfink, somethink.

So, HollyBerry, when you have finished with that spoon....

BreasticlesNTesticles Sat 04-May-13 18:00:34

This reminds me of the old philadelphia advert with the blonde woman in from Four Weddings grin

They are idiots.

I would ask them to stop doing it on the phone to custoemrs, lie and say there has been a complaint if necessary

INeedThatForkOff Sat 04-May-13 19:05:01

I can't imagine adults doing this. What sorts of things do they say? If I were a client it would put me right off.

ilovexmastime Sat 04-May-13 19:18:12

How strange... I'm intrigued! Do they laugh together after, like it's a joke?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now