Talk

Advanced search

to worry about my DH?

(39 Posts)
freddiefrog Sat 04-May-13 14:28:04

He's just been making some toast and I realised that he's the pain in the arse person who keeps turning the toaster knob to number 5 so I end up with burnt toast

I questioned why, when he doesn't like incinerated toast, he keeps turning the knob up, then popping the toast up every 30 seconds

Apparently, it's because he thinks that turning the knob up makes the toaster work faster.

He was astounded that the knob just controls how long the bread stays in the toaster, not how hot it is

He's 38, has a job where he has to make important decisions, manages to breathe in and out without assistance and dresses himself each day and yet, this has never occurred to him before

SPsYoniTheOneAndOnly Sat 04-May-13 14:30:26

I do the same as your DH blush

I am a nob

DrWhoTenant Sat 04-May-13 14:31:05

I do that too and thought the same blush

StuntGirl Sat 04-May-13 14:33:58

Haha! I like my toast anaemic ("warmed up bread" my brother calls it) and I found out recently my partner turns the toaster to 5 when he makes toast and turns it back down to 1 after so its always on the right setting for me smile

Buzzardbird Sat 04-May-13 14:34:24

Have just had exactly same thing happen with last slice of bread to make dd soldiers and a swimming pool. Feckin idiot. Love him really but low on common sense.

quoteunquote Sat 04-May-13 14:34:46

Leave the bastard grin

That is seriously annoying.

SPsYoniTheOneAndOnly Sat 04-May-13 14:35:14

<stands in nob section with DrWho>

MrsMeg Sat 04-May-13 14:35:22

My DH is super smart (think Sheldon Cooper) but doesn't possess a scrap of common sense.

You can't have it both ways grin

MiniTheMinx Sat 04-May-13 14:38:06

I know the feeling well.

I came home at lunch time to find a broken casserole dish, various vegetables and tomatoes plastered all around the tiles, over the toaster, up the walls, over the floor!

DP had decided that what distinguishes casserole from stew isn't where you cook it but whether its cooked in a ceramic casserole dish or a pan! So my very lovely blue casserole pot is now in the bin, as is dinner. This is a man who can talk about black holes and string theory but can't boil an egg without instructions.

StuntGirl Sat 04-May-13 14:38:27

That's how it works meg. You can only have one or the other I think! My Dad is super clever but literally cannot function as a nornal human being he has so little common sense.

EllaFitzgerald Sat 04-May-13 14:41:14

Another one in the nob queue <shamefaced>

I think I thought it worked a bit like an oven. DH does most of the cooking in our house (mostly from necessity!)

Flojobunny Sat 04-May-13 14:41:39

Seriously more than one person in the world thought that it was heat setting not timer? How peculiar. Although my dad used mine the other day and questioned why it was on 5 and had burnt his toast, to which I replied blush that I don't actually use the timer and just keep popping up the bread every few seconds as I like mine anaemic and don't trust it

freddiefrog Sat 04-May-13 14:42:17

grin.

I love him dearly, but honestly, I do wonder about him sometimes

Stuntgirl - at least he turns it back down afterwards. Bonus brownie points!

MonkeyingAroundTown Sat 04-May-13 14:53:23

I am a nob too then cause I didn't know. You learn something new every day on here!

dementedmumof6 Sat 04-May-13 15:00:54

I'm even more embarrassed as I didn't know that until my THIRTEEN year daughter told meblush

dreamingbohemian Sat 04-May-13 15:04:42

This is me. I'm book smart but kind of hopeless at life sometimes.

For example, I'm about to finish my phd, but I can't really tell the difference between a sheep and a goat blush

loopylou6 Sat 04-May-13 15:25:54

Ooh so it doesn't control the heat then blush

loopylou6 Sat 04-May-13 15:26:55

Dreaming, I just recently learned that a bull is a male cow, I thought they were a totally different animal...

dreamingbohemian Sat 04-May-13 16:09:36

loopy smile

I didn't know until a few years ago that there was more than one kind of duck. Hopeless!

loopylou6 Sat 04-May-13 17:15:54

Is there? See, now I didn't know that either shock

dreamingbohemian Sat 04-May-13 17:30:09

Oh thank god I'm not the only one!

LondonMan Sat 04-May-13 17:36:53

Presumably the toaster saboteurs are the same people who think a central heating thermostat is like a volume control and needs to be turned up/down depending on the weather.

ChunkyChicken Sat 04-May-13 17:38:34

If it was a heat setting, not a timer, the second lot of toast you do wouldn't get done quicker (which it invariably does) because it wouldn't be hotter after being used once already...

Iyswim.

Probably not because I didn't write that clearly.

<hangs head, shuffles off thread>

youmeatsix Sat 04-May-13 17:44:20

grin i think thats quite sweet, but i am amazed at how many people didnt know, bit like my friend, no matter how much i tried, i couldnt convince her that Joan of Arc was NOT Noahs wife!

wheredidiputit Sat 04-May-13 18:13:56

DH does that to but he does like burnt toast. I have to check for when dd1 uses it.

My main bug bear about toasters is why are they not made the same size a slice of bread i get fed up of having to turn the bread round so it all toasted and not having an inch of untoasted bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now