Advanced search

**URGENT** my mum has been bitten in the eye

(21 Posts)
LEMisdisappointed Sat 04-May-13 10:08:32

by a mosquito probably but she always gets alot of inflammation when she is bitten, she can't see out of the eye.

I would say, take some piriton and put a cold compress on it, but she has high blood pressure and is on steriods. So i rang surgery for advice, they recommended 111 is this appropriate, i don't really know what 111 is and i don't want to waste their time. Equally, i don't think its an A&E job either

Can i ring 111 for this?

PeneloPeePitstop Sat 04-May-13 10:09:38

Yes. They'll triage as to OOH or A&E as relevant.
You don't want to mess with eyes.

CocacolaMum Sat 04-May-13 10:09:56

OUCH ring them, at worst they will say ring 999

Sparklingbrook Sat 04-May-13 10:10:00

I would be thinking A&E myself.

LemonPeculiarJones Sat 04-May-13 10:10:16

I would take her to A&E. Sounds painful!

weechops Sat 04-May-13 10:10:38

If her surgery won't see her, and I think it's awful if they won't, then call nhs24 for advice and they can refer her to your nearest walkin clinic. Her eye must be really painful!

HootShoot Sat 04-May-13 10:10:53

111 is the new nhs direct. Hope her eye feels better soon.

Sparklingbrook Sat 04-May-13 10:10:56

Me too. If it was one of the DC I would be there.

HadALittleFaithBaby Sat 04-May-13 10:10:59

111 can advise on medical conditions and can organise out of hours appointments if needs be. I'd call them, it might well need to be seen to.

WilsonFrickett Sat 04-May-13 10:11:05

Google and see if you have a local eye hospital with drop in/Accident services and take her straight there. If not, yes I would go to A&E.

Sparklingbrook Sat 04-May-13 10:11:59

Is 111 working ok?

iliketea Sat 04-May-13 10:12:08

Go to A&E - at this time on a Sat morning it won't be to busy. She may need IV antihistamine.
Don't mess around with eyes.

LEMisdisappointed Sat 04-May-13 10:13:17

Just rang the minor injuries unit direct (coudlnt get through before) and they want to see her so we will take her up there.

But now I've started this - 111? What is that for, exactly? Is this like NHS direct? I would have thought it was something more urgent? I dont really know what it is.

DiscoDonkey Sat 04-May-13 10:13:18

Does your hospital have a seperate eye casualty? Ours does you can just walk in you don't need to go through 111 or out of hours.

LEMisdisappointed Sat 04-May-13 10:15:13

blush not ~IN~ the eye, next to, but the swelling affecting the eye. We will go though, when she haas taken the dog out hmm

LEMisdisappointed Sat 04-May-13 18:31:36

update Took my mum to minor injuries - to me the swelling was more under her eye, but the bite was right next to it, at the side, it looked like someone had given her a back hander - she said it had gone down shock So the nurse practitioner had a look and suggested piriton, checked it didn't interact with any of my mums medication, which it didn't so this is good to know. Of course, she hasn't taken it!! hmm I think she is worried that it will knock her out - which to be fair, they might

Sparklingbrook Sat 04-May-13 20:23:09

Oh phew, at least she has been seen. Sounds horribly painful.

CarpeVinum Sat 04-May-13 20:36:39

Happens to me at leat once a year.

Blimming tiger mosquitoes are evil.

Anti histamines usually do the trick.

CarpeVinum Sat 04-May-13 20:37:12

oh god, typotastic that post.

HadALittleFaithBaby Sat 04-May-13 20:44:40

Glad she's ok. Encourage her to take the piriton before she goes to sleep.

SarahAndFuck Sat 04-May-13 20:47:56

Glad she is okay but please be careful.

I had celulitis last summer that I think was caused by an insect bite. It was very painful and could have caused septicaemia if it hadn't been treated quickly enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: