Talk

Advanced search

To think its acceptable to leave DC with reliable babysitter for evening/overnight?

(37 Posts)
Illustrationaddict Sat 04-May-13 02:48:56

I'm just wondering what people think? I left DC with GPs for evening at a few weeks and overnight at about 4 months. Read a thread earlier at this not being very acceptable by most posters, but quite honestly think I needed a refresher break so I could be a happy content Mummy for DC. is this only me?

Gigondas Sat 04-May-13 02:54:53

Nope would do same if was happy with sitter

HullMum Sat 04-May-13 03:05:06

nope

LittleMissLucy Sat 04-May-13 03:05:51

If its family and you trust them and they have a good rapport with the kids then so be it.

HullMum Sat 04-May-13 03:06:07

sorry, nope, I wouldn't do it

neontetra Sat 04-May-13 03:20:38

Fine if all concerned are happy.

saladcreamwitheverything Sat 04-May-13 03:25:54

My son was left overnight with grandparents at two weeks old, I was back at work five days after, it's the way of the world these days!

AmericasTorturedBrow Sat 04-May-13 03:26:50

YANBU

unebagpipe Sat 04-May-13 06:21:50

I would have done it happily. My parents and my il's have raised 6 children between them (including me wink) so I had 100% faith that my ds would be safe. Happy mummy=happy baby. So a night off is no bad thing if that is the result!

Fivemoreminutesmummy Sat 04-May-13 06:26:33

I think it's a good thing if you've got people you trust. Good for parents who need a night's sleep and to recharge batteries, for grandparents who love getting to do everything for baby and even for baby as it helps bonding with other close relatives.

ballstoit Sat 04-May-13 06:27:39

I did leave Dc1, but only as MIL was dying and he wasnt allowed on the ward she was on.

Didnt leave DC 2&3 until 5-6 months for an evening and a year ish overnight but that's mainly because breastfeeding made it hard.

I dont judge anyone else for having a break...in fact I'd be a wee bit envious smile

ivanapoo Sat 04-May-13 06:33:47

My son was left overnight with grandparents at two weeks old, I was back at work five days after, it's the way of the world these days!

Is it really? This sounds highly unusual to me. I struggle to see why you'd want/need a full overnight break at just two weeks old.

I'd say there's a world of difference between leaving a 2 week old and a 4 month old overnight though

Personally I'd even find it very hard to leave my 4 month old overnight for the whole night as I'd start to worry about him and miss him, but I have had an evening out and left him with my husband and you're right that it is important to have a bit of me-time to stay sane.

Joiningthegang Sat 04-May-13 06:33:51

Sounds good to me - we left dd at 11 weeks. Didn't have chance with the boys until they were older sad

Don't concern yourself with the opinions of other or you will be spending the next 18 years + in turmoil!

TheFallenNinja Sat 04-May-13 06:34:31

Fair play. I don't see why not. Grinding yourself into the ground when there is an alternative seems daft.

mathanxiety Sat 04-May-13 06:39:11

I would never do it. I bfed them all.

dogsandcats Sat 04-May-13 06:50:45

Do you trust them? I expect you do.
So just make sure you leave them instructions, written down if necessary.

The real point is not others opinion, but yours and your partners.
No one else know your GPs properly but your family.
Just rememebr that asking other's opinions on things to do with your baby, can sometimes only be a rough guide. They cannot hope to know somethings that only you can know.

dogsandcats Sat 04-May-13 06:55:06

Now I have reread your subject title, you are trying to ask if it is "acceptable".
I learnt early on with my chilrdren, that they are mine and my DHs alone. We were, and still are responsible.
You need to bring them up by what you think is acceptable, and not always be swayed by others, even if that does mean that you are in the minority on occasions.

Also, as they get older, each child is different.
So what is indeed good for the majority, may actually sometimes not be right for your child.

Abra1d Sat 04-May-13 06:55:26

YANBU.

meganorks Sat 04-May-13 07:10:26

I left DD with gp for a feed while I slept from wk 1 or 2. Not quite the same really as they were just downstairs with her. But fine even when ebf - just expressed a bottle. Think she stayed overnight for the first time about 3 or 4 months.
Don't see the problem if you know and trust babysitters, they are used to caring for baby and they are willing (mine couldn't wait!)

wigglesrock Sat 04-May-13 07:46:29

Yes I've done it, I left dd2 with my parents at 4 months for 3 nights and I left dd3 at 10 months for 2 nights. Dd1 wasn't left overnight until 16 months - mainly due to lack of invites tbh wink

HollyBerryBush Sat 04-May-13 07:52:33

You do what you are comfortable with. I wouldnt have had any qualms at leaving any of mine with parents or PILS from day one!

my mate went back to work after two weeks leaving DS with MIL, then buggered off oin a 6 month contract abroad when he was a few months old. Didn't do him any harm, he's very well adjusted! In the rest of the world it's perfectly normal to have extended family help with child rearing.

EggsMichelle Sat 04-May-13 07:53:06

Left my DS at il's for a couple of hours at 6wks as we were all having a major breakdown/meltdown! Made the world of difference. Left him over night at il's when he was 2m old. They love having him, he gets lots of play and interaction with my young SIL and BIL, and I get a night with DH. Everyone one wins! When I go back to work next week it will be a weekly arrangement (best IL's ever!)

Fuckwittery Sat 04-May-13 07:56:30

Fine if it works for you. My babies didn't reliably sleep at night without breast milk until well over a year, so I couldn't have done it (neither woudl take expressed milk) and I don't think this is very unusual, so it may be more a question of people not being able to do it rather than not wanting to! I would have loved an uninterrupted nights sleep at that stage!

grumpyinthemorning Sat 04-May-13 08:00:30

I left ds with family for an evening at 2 weeks, I was getting cabin fever! Holly is right, it's perfectly normal for extended family to help out. It's crazy to think we could do it all ourselves.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Sat 04-May-13 08:03:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now