Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why someone who struggles with basic maths such as ratio and percentage is doing hard maths at school?

(7 Posts)
kim147 Fri 03-May-13 19:53:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 03-May-13 20:00:49

So is he just getting pushed along with the syllabus the others are doing?

GalaxyDefender Fri 03-May-13 20:03:30

That happened to me when I was at school. I cannot do maths. At all.
But for some bizarre reason I was put in the top set and left there. Until GCSEs were looming (about three months off) and the teachers realised I didn't have a hope in hell of passing the advanced exam - even then I didn't get moved down, just across and put at what all the other kids deemed the "stupid table" hmm

Are you able to speak to your clients teachers or parents to express these concerns? It can be really disheartening to have all this stuff thrown at you when you don't understand. Is it going to be in his exam? If so, maybe he could get some extra tutoring.

thebody Fri 03-May-13 20:05:46

What's trial and improvement? Seriously is that a maths definition.

In my defence I am on the arts side!!

kim147 Fri 03-May-13 20:06:11

kim147 Fri 03-May-13 20:07:38

ReallyTired Fri 03-May-13 20:07:51

Maths is a huge area, sometimes children are strong at algebra, but weak at say data handling, or maths problems.

I imagine that he is being prepared for GCSE and the teacher wants to cover all areas of the syllabus. It may well be that your pupil can pick up marks in different areas of maths. Trial and improvement requires a different set of skills to understanding a pie chart, percentages or ratios.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now