Talk

Advanced search

to worry whether my referee for a job will be asked about my sickness absence

(10 Posts)
happyyonisleepyyoni Thu 02-May-13 14:54:45

I have just been offered a job subject to references.

Unfortunately I had 4 weeks sick leave earlier this year due to a viral illness. I understand pre-employment health questionnaires are no longer allowed, but could my referee - current line manager -be asked about my sickness record?

Thanks any HR experts out there smile

StealthOfficialCrispTester Thu 02-May-13 14:58:56

I thought they were allowed to confirm sickness on issuing an offer. We used to get sickness reoxrds at interview and that's what's no longer allowed

Still, your sickness doesn't sound bad. It's a long period, but if its the only one in a while I'd be fine with that, assume you were unlucky

happyyonisleepyyoni Thu 02-May-13 15:04:25

THanks, I don't know about that. Apart from that my sickness record is fine, it was a one off.

Caitycat Thu 02-May-13 15:07:31

Don't know but I'm sure if they can ask they will ask for number of occasions and one long block will look much better than a day or two every month - don't worry, you are allowed to be ill and although I don't know I would be amazed if they are allowed to withdraw an offer because you were ill if refs are otherwise good!

squoosh Thu 02-May-13 15:09:03

I agree that a one off longish illness would be less alarming to a potential employer than lots and lots of Monday morning illnesses.

happyyonisleepyyoni Thu 02-May-13 15:16:55

Hope you are right. Its sods law that after years of not being ill it had to happen just before this great opportunity came up...

ParadiseChick Thu 02-May-13 15:19:56

I wouldn't worry about it depending on the job or employer they might not ask about you sickness. If they do you would probably be given a chance to explain it if need be but like others have said one incident is a lot better than lots of one days.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Thu 02-May-13 15:25:42

That really wouldn't put me off . I've not been off since 2004 but if something like that happens, it happens and I'm not stupid enough to think it couldn't happen to anyone. A day or two at a time, most months is a lot more concerning.

x2boys Thu 02-May-13 17:27:53

We are actually told at work [NHS] that one long period with sick notes looks better than a day or two off every couple of weeks should be fine

ilovesooty Thu 02-May-13 17:43:02

I agree: I'm sure everything will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now