Talk

Advanced search

To believe I can do this!

(21 Posts)
Gumps Thu 02-May-13 14:28:31

About to book our family holiday. Every year we go out to my mil apartment in the Canaries which is fab as we know it well and have lots of our stuff there.
This year my DH can't take too much time off work so I am thinking of staying out there a week longer. On my own. With my 3 dc's aged 5,4 and 19mo.
Everyone thinks I'm insane but surely I can do this?! I'm thinking all the hassle is in the getting ready and the getting there and that I might as well be in a lovely warm place on the beach, in the pool, rather than back here in the possible rain looking after them.
Can someone please share stories of having done this and practical advice. My only concern is the pool but I think beach very doable.

lisaro Thu 02-May-13 14:32:40

Why on earth do people see a problem? What's wrong with thise people? People do this all the time. Pool no, obviously, but beach fine. Its easy if you're a normal human being.

Patchouli Thu 02-May-13 14:33:09

If you need anyone, I'm pretty good at sitting by a pool in the sun supervising.

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 02-May-13 14:37:20

It's only a week? Hardly an issue. Thought u were going to say longer tbh....

My sis stays in caravan in France for 8 wks. 3kids under 16. Sounds marvellous to me

Sirzy Thu 02-May-13 14:38:53

I think the pool on your own with 3 so young us quite ambitious rest sounds fine though

Gumps Thu 02-May-13 14:40:03

These are my thoughts lisaro. I look after my children all day long on my own so surely I can manage it in a sunny climate!
I am confident driving there as have done it many times. I've got a double pushchair to carry one child and all the stuff. Ok the flight back may be awful but I can legally do it with 3 kids alone can't I?
If no one gives me a damn good reason not to I'm doing it!

DukeSilver Thu 02-May-13 16:01:48

Of course you can do it! What on earth are single parents meant to do? Never take their kids on holiday? grin

If anything it will be easier than being at home because it won't be boring, it will be warm and new and exciting.

aldiwhore Thu 02-May-13 17:33:38

Do it do it do it... (and then never knowingly do it again) wink

Okay, it's not going to be a total chill out, but it will still be fun.

I was actually getting a bit excited about driving to the other end of the country and spending 4 days without DH, and then he mentions he is free after all... which is GREAT. But secretly, I still want to fly solo (+ kids) at some point, feels like an adventure.

lisaro Thu 02-May-13 17:43:43

Nights may be a bit boring, but you should have a great time, Gumps. Enjoy.

Tryharder Thu 02-May-13 17:44:45

I've holidayed with 3 DCs quite a few times although only in the UK. I wouldn't saying was completely without stress but my kids are quite hard work anyway.

Go for it!

CloudsAndTrees Thu 02-May-13 17:46:54

The travelling might be a bit of a pain in the arse, but prep your 4&5yos properly and it will be fine.

Gumps Fri 03-May-13 23:57:42

I said I was doing it and dh has now paid for my mum to come out for the week. I'm very happy as it will be brill to have my mum there but slightly hmm that dh did not think I could go it alone...

SavoyCabbage Sat 04-May-13 00:14:40

I don't blame you! I wouldn't be impressed with my dh if he thought I couldn't do it. People do it all the time.

caroldecker Sat 04-May-13 00:15:21

Maybe he thought you could do it alone, but would like someone to spend the evenings with. As someone who has worked away a lot, the evenings on your own are v dull

Joiningthegang Sat 04-May-13 07:03:01

If you think you can - you know your dc- then you can x

Good luck smile

HollyBerryBush Sat 04-May-13 08:00:27

The holiday its self is not a problem - but the airlines may have restrictions on adult-child ratios. Bit like UK swmming pools - 1 adult to two under 8's.

WishIdbeenatigermum Sat 04-May-13 08:12:44

You'll have more fun with your mum! Like you I'd have been a bit hmm at dh thinking you wouldn't cope, but heh! Enjoy!

HerrenaHarridan Sat 04-May-13 08:39:43

Please don't be offended by dh, there is a world of difference between you can cope and it'll be an unmitigated pleasure.

As a lone parent, I love going on holiday with my mum, otherwise it's a change of scene as opposed to a holiday!

Have a lovely time smile

SoupDragon Sat 04-May-13 08:43:06

Don't be hmm at your DH - be grateful!

I've done longhaul with my 3 alone and it was fine but not as restful as a holiday should be. I would have loved an extra pair of hands smile

quoteunquote Sat 04-May-13 11:12:47

Do it, it's lovely being somewhere like that and doing things at your own pace, just pottering about.

you could always invite a friend,

The more often you do things like this the easier they become,it really opens up life a bit, it is always worth having a go.

Gumps Sat 04-May-13 12:06:58

You are all right he was just thinking of me. The best but is my mum is super excited and she loves swimming so I am picturing some subbed time for me. Hooray!
Me t year thought I'm doing 6 weeks on my own!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now