Talk

Advanced search

To think that competitions for 16 year olds shouldn't be held in May/June?

(21 Posts)
ShawnSpencersPineapple Wed 01-May-13 21:21:24

I am currently the worse mother in the world according to my dd, because I won't let her take part in an athletics competition taking place in May the day before two of her GCSE exams, and I won't let her take part in a gymnastics competition taking place in June the day before another GCSE exam.

AIBU to think that organisers for these sports must be aware that 15-18 year olds are more likely than not to be either in revision for exams (GCSE,'A' levels,IB etc) or actually taking the exams in May and June?

Or AIBU to not allow my dd to partake in these events?

sunlightonthegrass Wed 01-May-13 21:34:26

I think if she is otherwise a hardworking, conscientious sort of girl then she will be well prepared for the exams and if she is not, is one day going to make much difference?

So while I understand you I do think you are being a bit unreasonable (albeit with the best of intentions!) sorry!

WorraLiberty Wed 01-May-13 21:36:00

I agree with sunlight

If she's well focused at school, it might do her good to blow off steam.

dilanddan Wed 01-May-13 21:37:00

I agree with pp.

If she is revising well and feels confident about the exams, then maybe her doing the comps too will help take her mind off the stress of GCSEs a bit. It can be a tough time and, if it were my dd, I'd rather she were using breaks from revision to do something productive than going off with her mates and not doing anything worthwhile.

Just think how you'd feel if you took her and she did very well??!! Would you regret not wanting her to go??

Sirzy Wed 01-May-13 21:37:31

I can understand your point and as a youth worker we try to avoid planning things around exams but it is impossible to fit things in to suit everyone.

January is out because of exams
March/april you have easter so people are off on holiday,
may/june exams
july/august - people off on holiday complain they are missing out etc
Septmember "just back to school, getting into swing of things"
December - everyone is busy with christmas

There really is no ideal time to try to plan things!

Jinty64 Wed 01-May-13 21:38:47

YABU if she has prepared for her exams doing something different will help, not hinder her. If she hasn't 't prepared it won't make any difference.

ivykaty44 Wed 01-May-13 21:39:01

last minute revision is not good - she she be well prepared for an exam and not be cramming the day or night before. Going to a sports event shouldn't be a problem if she has been revising properly and the energy and boost should do her good

HollyBerryBush Wed 01-May-13 21:39:26

Depends on travel and the exam boards waiver at international level.

mrsjay Wed 01-May-13 21:40:09

I agree with sunlight too, DD2 started her exams on monday I hoestly think if they can manage to revise and are up with studying then letting them do things does no harm, and this comp means so much to your dd I dont think you should stop her, but that is jsut my opinion it is up to you you know her best, but I think it would put a dampner on her revising tbh

mrsjay Wed 01-May-13 21:41:24

and think of all that excersise (sp) is good for her helps the brain and all that

ShawnSpencersPineapple Wed 01-May-13 21:41:29

Okay, maybe I need to have a sleep on it tonight re letting her partake.

Sirzy - holidays to a certain degree families have a choice of when holidays are and whether they do or not, i.e. miss out on holiday that year.

School exams family has no choice over.

But I do appreciate it is hard, and yes someone will always moan.

mrsjay Wed 01-May-13 21:45:29

Ellie simmonds the paralympic swimmer studied and did Alevels while training for the paralypmpics and passed just saying wink

tom daly did the same

Sirzy Wed 01-May-13 21:46:55

very few families would be happy to cancel a holiday for the whole family for one member of it to partake in a competition (I have known it though, or travelling back early to be at a course or other things) - and of course the organisers of these things may well want to take holidays in the holidays too!

School exams now take up at least 3 months of the year, then there is coursework throughout the year. Things can't always be worked around that and as others have said their has to be a work/life balance.

Merrylegs Wed 01-May-13 21:48:00

Ha, in this house the roles are reversed. I had signed DS up for two sporting events in May - events he would usually be busting a gut to do, but he is refusing. 'Are you mad, mum. That's the day before my GCSEs.'

Yikes. That told me. Although having said that, in his sport they do tend to drop a lot of the 16u events around this time because of exams.

Maggie111 Wed 01-May-13 22:04:10

No chance I would let my kid participate - unless they were going to need their athletic awards more than academic qualifications.

Pilgit Wed 01-May-13 22:29:15

Totally get where you're coming from but being properly planned and having to organise herself to ensure she can give her best to both is invaluable experience for life. She is forewarned and can be forearmed.

boomting Thu 02-May-13 13:48:53

mrsjay No she didn't - she got a C and a U in the two AS levels she sat. www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/paralympic-sport/9544447/Ellie-Simmonds-golden-girl-of-the-Paralympics-says-she-will-never-forget-the-feeling-and-doesnt-want-it-to-end.html

Now, I'm sure the OP's daughter's commitments don't involve international level competition and being something of a media personality, so if she can balance the two then that's fine... but isn't there an alternative competition that she could do over the summer?

ShawnSpencersPineapple Thu 02-May-13 20:12:13

Interesting that was my argument - dd but it's a really important competition, no you chose to stop competing at a high level, so it's not international, it's not the Olympics it's a local interclub. That wasn't taken well!!!

mrsjay Thu 02-May-13 21:44:42

oops I heard she had passed her A levels oh OP ignore me I know nothing blush
e

LessMissAbs Thu 02-May-13 22:41:29

Well, in athletics the track season only runs from mid-March to mid-September, and an athlete needs to be competing in May and June to be at their peak in July/August when all the main championships are.

Its the same throughout university - exams are often held in May, so your DD should learn to cope with competing demands on her time now. She sounds as though she has well balanced interests - sporty people often do well in exams. Paula Radcliffe got a First.

Coconutty Thu 02-May-13 22:44:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now