Talk

Advanced search

To ask my parents in law not to give my 18 month olds gummy sweets

(8 Posts)
Randomkath Wed 01-May-13 21:14:01

Found sticky evidence in the pushchair...told MIL and said nicely that I'd rather they didn't give them sweets yet...she now has the hump.

I'm a bit taken aback as we normally get on perfectly well and she's not the interfering tell-you-what-to-do type, so wondering if I'm being a spoil sport.

I understand they want to spoil them and I'm fine with the odd biscuit or cake but they really don't need sweets yet, especially not gummy ones which I'm worried they can't chew and might choke on.

Anyone want to back me up?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 01-May-13 21:15:59

YANBU. My Mother got the hump when I asked her not to bring sweets on a daily basis! She's ok now...I reminded her that I certainly didn't have sweets every day! I told mum that I'd be thrilled with a punnet of strawberries as DD loves them. She gets them soft fruit now...or sometimes cake.

Euphemia Wed 01-May-13 21:16:44

You don't need backing up: you're the mum. What you say goes.

YANBU

maddening Wed 01-May-13 21:17:50

yanbu at all

MoonlightandRoses Wed 01-May-13 21:24:23

YANBU, they can be a choking risk. Admittedly it's a Babycenter US site but maybe show them this? Nothing wrong with treats, but there is something wrong with risky ones - if they must, would they consider something like chocolate buttons instead?

OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Wed 01-May-13 21:29:36

Oh bloody parents! My dad insists on bringing chocolate and chocolate biscuits for DD and the one time he had her for 2 hours alone took her to McDonalds and let her just eat chips with bbq sauce. He was impressed at her 'dipping' skills, which is how I found out...hmm This is the same man who tried to tell me to stop BFing because she was 'over weight' and that she wasn't crying for a feed, it had to be something else as she clearly didn't need any more food!
They honestly see it as a treat, but at this age it really isn't necessary. Am quite sad that I feel bad giving her treats just before he comes down as I know he will pack her full of anything that isn't vaguely nutritious for the 2 days he is here (yes, he gives her things BEFORE meals, grrrrr!) Anyway I could ramble a whole other thread there!
OP YANBU!

Springforward Wed 01-May-13 21:37:56

Suggest a tiny pack of chocolate buttons instead?

MIL loves giving DS treats and I'm slack about such things OK with it, as long as it's not hard lollipops, but we kind of got there by me suggesting what I thought DS might manage. And if I know we're seeing her, DS has no other sweets etc. that day.

She might well think I'm BU though, I guess!

5318008 Wed 01-May-13 21:42:24

Does MIL take them often?

If she's heavily involved, does lots of ad hoc care, babysitting and whatnot you might want to suck it up and accept sweeties will happen

I do understand your pov, though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now