Talk

Advanced search

To not want telephone operators to call me by my first name?

(80 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 01-May-13 14:37:08

AIBU? I've had to call Tesco mobile twice today and they ask my name and my password...I say "It's Neo Maxizoomdweebie" and they then say "Alright thank's Neo...how can I help you?"

And I'm thinking NO! Call me "Miss Mazizoomdweebie please!"

Some companies say "Ok do you mind if I call you Neo?" and I say "Yes...I do actually." and I can HEAR them go hmm

But they then call me by my title and 2nd name. One operator today called me Neo and then reduced that to "love".!!

I AM a bit old fashioned...but come on!

Alligatorpie Wed 01-May-13 14:41:05

Yabu

SkinnybitchWannabe Wed 01-May-13 14:42:12

Yabu. I prefer to be called by my first name.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 01-May-13 14:42:34

Why though? I think that service in general has gone right downhill. I worked with the public until abotu 5 years ago so please don't accuse me of being all hoity toity...I just think it's disrespectful to call customers that you don't even know, by their first names.

It's akin to my Mum say, paying for her goods in tesco and the cashier calling her "Anne" when she doesn't know her from Adam!

PickledLiver Wed 01-May-13 14:42:52

YANBU, say something. Personally I don't care, though I would draw the line at 'love' hmm

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 01-May-13 14:42:58

I think that they should ASK!

I prefer it, and would be the same in Tesco. I don't like titles and don't use them in general. Saves all the palaver of getting the wrong title as well.

I sit on these with double standards on this TBH

I hate strangers of any kind calling me by a shortening of my first name - along the lines of Catherine - oh hi Cath! <shudder> too cosy.

But I always feel a bit odd when I phone the bank, do the log in bit and they immediately say so MrsMinge, what can I do for you today.

I sort of think - c'mon, you know how much I spend in Sainsburys and on Amazon and the off licence , call me by my first name wink

livinginwonderland Wed 01-May-13 14:46:00

yabu. i feel really uncomfortable being referred to as "miss livinginwonderland". i prefer my first name as i feel it's more friendly.

manticlimactic Wed 01-May-13 14:46:18

I don't give a shit what they call me (within reason wink ) as long as they sort out whatever I was calling for.

IWillGetThere Wed 01-May-13 14:46:40

In my experience only the working class like to be addressed by Mrs/Miss/Ms. It's a bit like 'pardon'.

kneedeepindaisies Wed 01-May-13 14:50:36

Mrs Minge grin

I think YABU if they ask but YANBU if they don't.

<sits on the fence>

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 01-May-13 14:52:05

IWillGetThere so? hmm

McBalls Wed 01-May-13 14:53:11

Is your first name really awful then?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 01-May-13 14:53:36

I could actually get very cross at you for that IWIllGet....your comment is horrible. It's a bit like saying "The Working Classes are not as good as the others."

If that's what you think then your point of view is worth nothing anyway.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 01-May-13 14:54:26

McBalls don't be silly. It's a perfectly ordinary name.

IWillGetThere Wed 01-May-13 14:56:41

Different strokes for different folks. I always expect to be addressed by my first name and hence address others by theirs. Maybe the operators are the same

squoosh Wed 01-May-13 15:03:14

I prefer to be called by my first name. I really do hate though when people use 'Madam', I feel I should be wearing a taffeta frock with a bustle. That generally tends to come from foreign call centres as they're more polite/formal.

Phineyj Wed 01-May-13 15:07:24

It annoys me too, YANBU. Also when they do fake chumminess. One (bank) asked me if I was doing anything nice this evening. It was like being at the hairdresser! To be fair, I am sure they are just following company policy.

squoosh Wed 01-May-13 15:09:04

Oh God, I hate when the tellers try to chat and it's so obvious they've been told to do this. I don't mind naturally chatty people but company enforced chat is enjoyed by no one.

DiscoDonkey Wed 01-May-13 15:10:46

I prefer to be called by my first name, evn when I worked in schools I insisted children use my first name (I wasn't a teacher though) the HT was a bit cats bum face about it

ChewingOnLifesGristle Wed 01-May-13 15:12:04

It annoys me too. Not a huge amount it's true but it does make me hmm to myself.

I also don't like cold callers (who does?) doing it. Not only have they taken the liberty of wasting my time, but apparantly we're all matey into the bargain.

angelos02 Wed 01-May-13 15:12:21

I hate it when people are precious about people shortening their name. Eg, We have a Lydia at work and I dared to call her 'Lyd' once. FFS. Get over yourself.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Wed 01-May-13 15:15:27

Lyd?confused I think that'd annoy me a too I'm afraid esp as Lydia is such a lovely name.

elmerelephant Wed 01-May-13 15:15:45

Being called Mrs elmerelephant always makes me feel like my MIL as this what she insisted I call her when I married my DH, Im not that old either. So childishly I call her by her christian name as calling her Mrs Elmerelephant feels like im talking to myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now