Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that the National Blood Service should do more to accommodate SAHP/WAHP?

(20 Posts)
Fillyjonk75 Wed 01-May-13 10:52:05

All the daytime blood donation sessions locally start between 1.45pm and 2.30pm. Three times now I've tried to get the earliest appointment, at different locations, with a month or more's notice at about this time or slightly later and they are all booked up. Every time I've given blood in the past there is at least a half hour delay, even with an appointment. So if you have to do the school run it doesn't give you much of a window to donate blood - or indeed to do it in your lunch break at work, which I've done in the past.

I was thinking if they started the daytime sessions at say, 9.30am they could get a lot more donors in the shape of WAHP/SAHP who are bound by school run times. Especially in this area, as there are tons of SAHMs. Whereas their other daytime donors outside of those donating in their lunch hour, though everyone has stuff to do, are probably a bit more flexible as to time. Also they do run an evening session but it's not convenient for me, obviously they catch people coming out of work with those which is great. I've got in touch with them anyway to suggest this, as yet another appointment request - for mid June - has been turned down.

Oldraver Wed 01-May-13 11:00:50

Have you had a look to see if their is a session at your local hospital ? Ours has a permanent site and is open from 9 ish.

EhricLovesTeamQhuay Wed 01-May-13 11:02:33

Idk I have tried to get appointments at the local session three or four times now, they are always fully booked. I think the whole thing is under resourced and they should be doing a lot more to make it possible to donate but they clearly don't have the resources.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 01-May-13 11:03:23

I agree with you I've has the same problem. Our sessions are always on a Tues when I cannot make the evening. Having morning sessions sometimes would be miles better.

Fillyjonk75 Wed 01-May-13 11:03:46

Oh that's sad to hear, Ehric. Good idea, Oldraver, will look into it.

ouryve Wed 01-May-13 11:04:42

They don't seem to cater for people who work that well, either.

They used to park a van near to DH's work, but since another company left the office block, numbers haven't been high enough and he's not been able to get to a session for a couple of years, now.

WowOoo Wed 01-May-13 11:06:38

I was telling our local sessions that the times we can attend could be improved.

Also, when you book in it would be great if you could start straight away. I understand they are busy and doing their best though.

I wanted to go on a day off, but opted for a lunch break. Bad idea! No idea that a booked appt would be delayed. Good job I have such lovely colleagues.smile

I've booked my next appointment 3 months in advance. But by the time it comes around I may have to work that day. Oh well - means I have to cancel and book in advance again. We can only try our best!

lisianthus Wed 01-May-13 11:07:37

I always go to the 10am slot on Sunday. Could you go to a weekend appointment?

wonkylegs Wed 01-May-13 11:09:52

I think that must be your area, here they have daytime and evening sessions
You just need to look at other locations
The one right by my house does 2-4.30 & 6.45-8 but if I go to one in town it does 9.15-11.45 & 1.15-4.15
Search on the blood service website and try surrounding centres.

Shylepite Wed 01-May-13 11:15:16

Yanbu at all! I've been trying to get an appointment for the last few weeks with no luck, it seems ridiculous when they keep writing to me saying how desperate they are for blood. Round here the appointments start at 2pm and the shortest wait I've had is 45 minutes. I bet lots of people must stop donating as its such a faff to arrange.

Fillyjonk75 Wed 01-May-13 11:22:01

I always go to the 10am slot on Sunday. Could you go to a weekend appointment?

I could...but it is rather annoying to give up family time when I've got SIX HOURS on my own for at least three days a week to do it!

Fillyjonk75 Wed 01-May-13 11:24:33

You just need to look at other locations

If you could search by time on the website and not just location that would help. I didn't have much luck when I phoned them either. I'd like to give them some of my blood out of my little stingy veins. It's naice A+ stuff, when it eventually comes out!

aldiwhore Wed 01-May-13 11:24:40

I'd never even considered my local hospital!! I will check now, being O- I need to give blood.

Thank you for the kick. smile

Shylepite Wed 01-May-13 11:30:01

They should do more to accommodate everyone who wants to donate imo. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 lovely friends who wouldn't be here without their blood transfusions. They should run more evening and weekend sessions imo, that way it will be much easier for people who work 9 - 5.

NotYoMomma Wed 01-May-13 11:32:05

Aldiwhore I'm o- too but pregnant with a needle phobia.

Give some for me until my therapy works x ;p

lisianthus Wed 01-May-13 11:40:47

OK. See, as a SAHM, i get stacks of "family time" during the week. Attending the blood bank is an hour and a half of "me time" with a good book followed by a cuppa and a free sausage roll or slice of cake. Nice.

Our sessions are 1.30-3 and 4-6.30, if I can't get an appointment before 2 in the first session I risk being late for school. I could go to the later session, but I have to give the DCs their tea and get DD off To Brownies by 5,45. so it isn't easy unless I get DH to leave work early. I would love a 9am session. I know I could go to another session, but we are rural and the other nearby ones are even less frequent, shorter hours etc. I tried going in the town I work in once, it's only 10 miles away but it is across one of their regional boundaries and they couldn't access my records, I had to be registered as if I was new. I might look at the local hospital, I could combine it with a shopping trip.

Part of the problem is everyone re-booking when they donate, which means that all the "good" slots are taken 3 months in advance. That's fine if you can do that, but there have been several occasions when I have had to cancel an appt for medical reasons and then can't get into the following month's sessions. In many ways it was a lot easier in the days before appointments when you just turned up and waited.

RuckAndRoll Wed 01-May-13 11:43:25

Like most places they could do more to make things more convenient for people, but again like most places they're tied by money and resources. They are trying their best.

It's great you're all trying to go though, don't get me wrong, DM wouldn't be here today if someone hadn't gone out of their way to give blood. For that I'm always thankful.

There's a permanent place near me that's open a variation of 8am-8pm 7 days a week and I still hear people complaining that it's not open early/late enough!

Fillyjonk75 Wed 01-May-13 11:49:44

i get stacks of "family time" during the week

I don't, the kids play out a lot after school or go to after school activities and my husband doesn't get home until their bedtime or later. I actually like a bit of time with him even if we are just digging the garden. If I'm having me time at the weekend it's going for a run. But even then one of the DDs usually accompanies me on my runs now.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 01-May-13 13:28:43

I just checked the local ones and they are 4pm to 7.30pm so no chance for me to get to them as its after school but before dh gets home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now