Talk

Advanced search

To wear ear plugs

(18 Posts)
HandMini Tue 30-Apr-13 13:06:02

DD (3 months) sleeps next to my bed in a Moses basket. She is a snuffler / shuffler / squeaker / creaker / generally very noisy baby. She's in a pretty good routine of going to bed around 6.30pm, dream feed at 10.30pm, then usually able to go through til around 6 when I get up with her.

BUT, due to her noise, I am usually awake for at least an hour around midnight and then on and off again from 4 until we wake up. I am the walking dead with knackered-ness (I also have a 2 year old).

Could I try ear plugs? Has anyone done this and could reassure me that I will still wake if she cries.

I reckon if you wear ear plugs you will be awake even more worrying that you can't hear her.

ScarletLady02 Tue 30-Apr-13 13:09:13

Can you move the moses basket away from the bed?

HandMini Tue 30-Apr-13 13:11:44

Scarlett - into the corridor. Not ideal but we could.

Betty - I fear you're right.

wintersdawn Tue 30-Apr-13 13:13:16

My daughter was exactly the same, so loud and then would sigh so loudly I'd lay there waiting for her to breathe again. I soon went from expecting her to share our room for 6 months to moving her into the nursery at 10 weeks. The snuffling was a lot better over the baby monitor. I agree that eat plugs would probably make u more aware of sound not less. Good luck!

Bejeena Tue 30-Apr-13 13:13:36

I am an earplug addict due to my husbands snoring and am 24 weeks pregnant. I have been worrying that I will have to give up the ear plugs when baby come as won't be able to hear him.

My sister in law says she used earplugs and did still hear the baby when in their room though.

What about your husband would he hear her and be able to wake you? Mine is confident he will but I am not so sure since he can sleep through the alarm.

Would putting a baby monitor on help you hear her too I know is the same room but still it would make it all a bit louder if she woke?

SanitaryOwl Tue 30-Apr-13 13:15:04

Earplugs are great at blocking low-level background noise, but they don't cut out sound completely. I wear earplugs to block out OH's snoring, but I still wake up if there is shouting, or the phone rings or an alarm goes off, etc.

Buy a pair and try it, you'll soon know if they're not for you.

HandMini Tue 30-Apr-13 13:15:53

Good point about DP. I think he would wake if she cried. Might give it a go tonight. Can't be worse than last night. I moved DD1 out if our room at 10 weeks, but no space for DD2. Daren't put her in with older sister just yet as cant face both of them being noisy.

greenformica Tue 30-Apr-13 13:18:44

I used to wear one single ear plug for the same reason. It sounds mad but it did make enough difference. I could still hear what was going on but it was muffled enough to sleep a little more.

squoosh Tue 30-Apr-13 13:20:39

Foam earplugs are the biz. Helped me cut out my neighbour's pleas to John to give it to her harder.

Bleurgh.

TheCraicDealer Tue 30-Apr-13 13:30:54

Agree that you'll probably still hear her cry- ear plugs muffle low level noise enough to allow you to sleep But if you're a light enough sleeper that her snuffling wakes you in the middle of the night a sudden, shrill cry will more than get you up even with earplugs in!

MortifiedAdams Tue 30-Apr-13 13:34:33

Go for it. I wear them now (dd 16mo and next door but still get woken by her sniffing and coughing).

They dont stop me from.hearing my alarm which is quite quiet. And like you say, Dh Will hear her.

Could you have a couple of test runs where you agree that DH is on duty tonight and so you can guilt free wear them (and out the basket on his side of the bed)?

Meringue33 Tue 30-Apr-13 13:35:42

I have recently started doing this feel guilty about it, but it works. I go to bed at 10pm with earplugs. DP gives dream feed and settles LO in basket downstairs. Then brings baby up when I am already in deep sleep. If baby cries or makes loud noises in the night I hear him anyway through the ear plugs. Usually by morning they've fallen out and I get woken up about 5.30am by the noise of LO playing in his basket when he wakes up.

handcream Tue 30-Apr-13 13:39:36

I dont think ear plugs do block out ALL noise. Someone told me it depends on the shape of your ears!

Icanhasnickname Tue 30-Apr-13 16:29:48

I wear earplugs, and hear everything above whimper level. Don't tell my DH, as I often pretend not to so he gets up!

3MonthMaid Tue 30-Apr-13 20:25:37

I wore earplugs. I always woke when DD went remotely over a whimper.

Perfect

HedgeHogGroup Tue 30-Apr-13 20:50:16

I wear earplugs and have done extensive research.... hmm
The 'Noise-X' bullet shaped earplugs (sold in Lloyds Pharmacy) are definitely the best for blocking out snuffly baby noises... and husband snoring... and birds tweeting.
Strangely though, you do still know when to wake up if you need to!

Moanranger Tue 30-Apr-13 20:58:54

Ear plugs helped me survive DC2s infancy as I was practically psychotic with sleep deprivation. Godsend. I woke when necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now