Talk

Advanced search

To prioritise punctuality when it concerns dc

(40 Posts)
Littlehousesomewhere Tue 30-Apr-13 06:32:58

Dh thinks I am unreasonable to always plan ahead and insist on always being punctual when it comes to dc activities, parties, play dates.

The other day we were running late (because of dh) so I decided not to attend a toddler group that morning.

I would rather not go at all than be 10-15 minutes late. He said this is unreasonable. I do not like the feeling of being late and I feel being late puts dc at a disadvantage compared to their on-time peers.

Jengnr Tue 30-Apr-13 06:38:22

Being punctual is important but sometimes things happen. Mot going at all is unfair imo.

LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 30-Apr-13 06:42:24

I like to be on time, but 10-15 minutes late for a toddler group really isn't the end of the world. Being late occasionally is better than letting people down and not going at all. It's also really confusing for the DCs if they think they're going somewhere and then suddenly they're not.

exoticfruits Tue 30-Apr-13 06:43:45

It depends what it is- appearing at a toddler group a bit late doesn't matter- I doubt a toddler would realise.

thylarctosplummetus Tue 30-Apr-13 06:44:48

Just go without DH?

exoticfruits Tue 30-Apr-13 06:45:57

You also have to think of the other person, you can't just not turn up at a
party because you are running late.

dexter73 Tue 30-Apr-13 06:46:06

I think 10-15 minutes late for toddler group is no big deal.

Branleuse Tue 30-Apr-13 06:47:37

I think that's quite passive aggressive actually

BeckAndCall Tue 30-Apr-13 06:48:17

Do you all go to toddler group together?? If my DH had come to toddler group, I'd have gone off somewhere on my own!

There must be something different about your toddler group from what I'm used to - people come at any time and leave at any time in my experience - it's not nursery, so I wouldn't be in the least bit bothered about arriving late. But I too would be bothered about DH being late if my LO was all ready to go!

PigeonPie Tue 30-Apr-13 06:52:20

Whilst I think UABU about missing a toddler group because you were late, unless it was a highly structured one, I don't think YABU about it generally as it does matter if you DC is late for a birthday party or school etc.

He just has to realise that being late is not an option and if he's fading about, go without him! You might need other strategies like giving him an earlier time to be ready for, for instance.

PigeonPie Tue 30-Apr-13 06:53:35

Faffing not fading!

Littlehousesomewhere Tue 30-Apr-13 06:54:14

Oh I would always go to a party/play date, just ring/txt to say we're running late, although this really hasn't happened much before, we do manage to be on time.

It was just the toddler group situation has happened a couple of times and I really dislike being late. Finding a car space or buggy park is more difficult. I feel more frazzled and i think it is nicer for dc to be there from the start so they feel fully included. I think being late is not good for their self esteem.

Littlehousesomewhere Tue 30-Apr-13 06:55:18

No I was dropping dh off beforehand.

dexter73 Tue 30-Apr-13 06:57:41

Do toddlers even realise they are late though? I don't think their self-esteem would be affected by being a bit late to toddler group unless you went on about how awful it was that you were late. Maybe unclench a bit!

Smudging Tue 30-Apr-13 06:58:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Littlehousesomewhere Tue 30-Apr-13 07:00:13

bran no one was being passive aggressive.

Dh didn't intend to be late.

I told him I didn't mind not going, I just didn't want to arrive there late.

Dc didnt mind as we went to park instead.

CaptainSweatPants Tue 30-Apr-13 07:01:51

You're being ott
Toddler group is for fun !
Being late for school would be different

exoticfruits Tue 30-Apr-13 07:03:49

I think that have to be older than a toddler to realise that they are late. You are looking at it from an adult point of view.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 30-Apr-13 07:06:09

Not good for their self esteem

Seriously? You are thinking way to much about this. A toddler won't care.

Any baby group I've been to is a drop in from whenever time. If you've got an appointment or meeting friends then that's different. Being ten minutes late to a party is nothing, just send a text.

Cancelling going out for being late by ten minutes is weird. It's ten minutes, who cares? Unclench, big time.

WipsGlitter Tue 30-Apr-13 07:07:16

Punctuality is v important. But I agree toddler group is no big deal and is drop in. But I can also see if its hard to get a parking space then it might be a bit steady.

mummytime Tue 30-Apr-13 07:09:35

Sorry you do need to loosen up.

Maybe your toddler group is,very different from the ones I went to, but they all started with free play for the first hour or so. So it didn't matter if you were late, in fact few people arrived "on time".

The real problem is going to be when you have a small child/child/teenager. In my experience they can make you very late for things (20 minutes or more to put,on a pair of socks etc.). Yes it is good to teach punctuality and good manners, but sometimes you need to be able to let go and go with the flow.

The other issue is that you and your DH seem to have very different views on punctuality, which could also cause issues further on.

Littlehousesomewhere Tue 30-Apr-13 07:10:40

I used to work as a teacher and i saw how being late affects children's self esteem. It makes them feel out if the loop and second best. I would rather skip the odd toddler group than have them experience this.

Usually it is not a problem but we were unexpectedly delayed this time.

Littlehousesomewhere Tue 30-Apr-13 07:23:03

I see that I am probably being unreasonable in this situation. Maybe I am looking at it from an adult or older child's perspective.

I know other people don't mind arriving late but it is much nicer being there from the start. Dc can have more of a chat with the organisers (we don't have family/friends near us so I really like having the opportunity for them to speak with other adults). Dc can have first choice of toys without other toddlers already wanting them etc

The toddler group was only an hour long and did have structured part about 10 minutes at the start (which would have begun already) and about 15 minutes before the end.

I will try and be more relaxed next time though if it happens again.

Smudging Tue 30-Apr-13 07:24:27

Smudging Tue 30-Apr-13 07:26:08

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now