Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is this a bit much to ask?

(14 Posts)
MidniteScribbler Tue 30-Apr-13 02:37:54

Friend/Neighbour came over last night at about 9pm (which already annoyed me as I think it's too late for visitors). She wanted to know if I could drop her at the hospital next week for her minor elective surgery. I said sure, no problem, assuming it was our local hospital. No, it turns out she wants to be dropped in to one of the hospitals on the other side of the capital city (we live rurally), which is a two and a half hour drive away. And she needs to be checked in by 6am. Which means leaving home at 3:30am to get there on time. I was pretty gobsmacked, and suggested her staying overnight in town the night before, she could get the train down and spend the night in a hotel, but she doesn't want to do that, as it's mothers day the day before and she wants to spend the whole day with her kids. I'm pretty annoyed, not least because to leave at that time of the morning, I'll have to take my big 4x4 because of the black ice that's likely and in case of the roos that like to sit in the middle of the roads. The trip is a full tank of fuel, which is about $70, and I know from past experience that she won't offer me a cent towards it. I'll have to turn around and come straight back because I've got tradies here doing the bathroom, so will need to be back by nine. So five hours straight driving at silly o'clock.

To top it off, I said that if we have to leave that early, I'll come to her place to have a shower before I go, as I won't have a bathroom (being ripped out and will take two weeks). The elderly lady next door is letting us use her shower, but I'm not going in at 3am to disturb her, and would prefer to have a shower to wake me up at that time of the morning before driving. "Friend" has said no I can't have a shower at her house as it might wake her kids (teenage boys, who I'm sure could roll over and go back to sleep).

AIBU to be feeling pretty sulky about having to do this favour?

NatashaBee Tue 30-Apr-13 02:40:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZacharyQuack Tue 30-Apr-13 02:43:59

It's ok to say no to her, even if you originally said yes before you knew the full details of what she is asking.

You don't "have" to do her a favour.

Longdistance Tue 30-Apr-13 02:45:00

Tell her no. No shower, you give her a lift. No chance.

Yanbu. She's a cheeky cow!!!

crazydrunkevilhamster Tue 30-Apr-13 02:45:18

YADNBU. the cheek of some people

TanteRose Tue 30-Apr-13 02:46:11

that is a ridiculous favour to ask of anyone!
tell her you can't do it

she can def. stay in a hotel the night before

btw, black ice AND kangaroos on the road?? where in Aus are you?

MidniteScribbler Tue 30-Apr-13 02:51:10

About two and a half hours out of Melbourne Tante. It's about an hour to get to the highway though, which is why we get the double whammy.

ripsishere Tue 30-Apr-13 03:11:17

Absoutely no question. What a cheeky mare.

ENormaSnob Tue 30-Apr-13 03:14:44

No way on gods green earth would I be doing this.

I seriously hope you've said no.

Lorialet Tue 30-Apr-13 03:20:06

Wow. The absolute cheek of some people!! I'd be telling her to bugger off.

StupidFlanders Tue 30-Apr-13 03:21:56

I'd go round right now before you lose another minute worrying about it and be very direct "I've just realised that I'd need to be up at 3:30 to drop you off, and I'll have tradesmen at home, there is no way I can do that".
Then leave before she tries to work out how you could do it.

If you're uncomfortable maybe start with "DH and I were just talking about the lift and we realised..."

dopeysheep Tue 30-Apr-13 03:58:34

This is a wind up isn't it? No-one would seriously expect this as a favour?

Please tell her no. And to get some manners. The sheer nerve is unbelievable.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Tue 30-Apr-13 04:00:12

You've asked her to do 2 things (1. go the night before, and 2. to have a shower at her place) and she had zero qualms about saying no to you, even AFTER she'd asked you to do her a massive favour.

So - seriously! - you must have no qualms about saying no to her. Simply, 'sorry, no, it doesn't suit'. End of. You could even eliminate the 'sorry'.

There is no reason to feel bad about this.

LittleMissLucy Tue 30-Apr-13 04:28:28

Is there no one else who can do it? What about a local taxi service? And what about her getting home - is she expecting you to hang around and take her back again?

Cripes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now