Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To still want a new (to me) car?

(11 Posts)
jojane Mon 29-Apr-13 18:39:36

My car is a banged up mondeo, more gaffa tape than bumper, door handle dodgy etc etc. DH has a little fiesta, not too bad nick but lots of rust around wheel arch.
DH getting bonus in a month or so, should be after tax a couple of grand so plan was to get me a 7 seater as we have 3 children. Means they can all have a friend home to play on same day, I can share lifts with people etc etc (I only learnt to drive 18 months ago so owe a lot of people a lot of lifts!)
Dh has had letter today stating pay rise, bonus details to follow and now entitled to a company car.
He now thinks he should get a 7 seater company car (which I won't be able to use in week when I would need it the most) and I should have his fiesta, the bonus can then be spent on other stuff (ie a new computer for him I suspect)
I think that I still need want a 7 seater that I can use when ever, not worry too much about every little bump and scrape, kids muddy shoes inside etc and we should still spend the bonus in this and he can get whatever car he wants as his company car.

Who's being unreasonable as I have no idea

Need to add that kids go to a school in posh village and I think prob all in my head that people look down on me for driving a banger and not a posh 4x4 or a BMW like them

RedHelenB Mon 29-Apr-13 18:44:06

7 seaters cost a lot to run & 1 child will fit into your Fiesta as well as you & your kids.

jojane Mon 29-Apr-13 18:52:10

But it will still cost us the same whether he's driving a 7 seater to and from work or I am driving a 7 seater with the kids in. And he probably does more miles a week than me.
The point is that ALL the kids would be able to bring friends home ON THE SAME DAY, which is easier for me then having 3 play dates a week.
Am talking about a 7 seater with fold down seats rather than a big 7 seater. Tourans are more mpg than my mondeo.

TheCraicDealer Mon 29-Apr-13 18:55:58

I agree with him. He can still have you Insured on it so you can use it at the weekend. You can give people lifts to your heart's desire then.

However, bear in mind-
- mpvs/7 seaters are much harder to drive and park than a wee fiesta, especially if you're a relatively inexperienced driver. I say this as someone whose dad bought a ford c-max for me and my twin to learn to drive in. Getting my fiat 500 has been a revelation.
- Having a 7 seated may be a poisoned chalice- yes you can pay people back for all the lifts you've been given, but you'll tire of this very quickly.
- A big car will be expensive to tax, insure and run. It will also have a guarantee if anything goes wrong. It's better than these costs are "swallowed" by his employer rather than you as a family.

I agree with you really. Not necessarily about the 7 seater, but it makes sense for you to have the bigger car as you have the kids. Whats the point in you driving around all week in a banged up fiesta while he drives a fancy car to the work carpark?

andubelievedthat Mon 29-Apr-13 19:05:04

Curious ? which 7 seater are you expecting to purchase , which will be "fit" ,for £2000?

jojane Mon 29-Apr-13 19:10:03

I already drive a mondeo which is nearly as big as my friends 7 seaters, infact,it seems wider than my friend ZafIra. So size isn't a big issue as I learnt to drive in it and have been driving it since.
Won't really need a 7 seater on the weekend apart from maybe one trip a month when his dad comes with us and a couple of weeks a year when his mum visits. It's mainly the week with various kids activities when it would be handy to share lifts etc.

I do agree that his employer paying the bulk of the costs would be best (although the bigger the car and more expensive the more he would pay out of his tax allowance).
My friend has a Chrysler voyager and does similar mileage to me and her cost of fuel was roughly the same as mine as my mondeo drinks petrol. Wouldn't get a big car like that though. Am thinking something with the fold down seats so similar to a 5 seater family car with seats in boot for when I need them.

jojane Mon 29-Apr-13 19:10:50

Plenty of zafiras near me for around £1500-2000.

Bejeena Mon 29-Apr-13 19:20:44

To be honest I agree with your husband makes a lotmoresense. You cannot justify the environmental impact of 2 big cars surely too? Alsoseems like a waste of money.

I'd say hubby get 7 seater and on dates whenplaydates are arrangedyou just swap cars?

jojane Mon 29-Apr-13 19:24:02

We wouldn't get 2 big cars, one 7 seater (well 5 seater with 2 seats in boot) and a smaller car.

gordyslovesheep Mon 29-Apr-13 19:31:19

I agree with him - you don't really need 7 seats to take 3/4 kids to and from school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now