Talk

Advanced search

to think being grouped as "lasses" rather than our names rather sexist?

(11 Posts)
HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Mon 29-Apr-13 15:26:56

Or have I been on MN too long?

I was doing some work with a group of fellow students today and the lecturer saved our work as "projectile_lasses" whereas the other group (all chaps) was saved as "projectile_name of student"

AIBU to think it's a bit sexist, and a bit dickish to call us lasses rather than by our names?

yaimee Mon 29-Apr-13 15:28:09

Maybe he couldn't remember them"

LeaveTheBastid Mon 29-Apr-13 15:28:57

But you are lasses. HTH

Rosesforrosie Mon 29-Apr-13 15:29:51

If he was treating you differently because you are women then yes it's sexist.

AuntieStella Mon 29-Apr-13 15:32:22

Yes, annoying.

If ey couldn't remember everyone's name, then 'lasses' and 'lads' would make me think "yuk twee", but at least it wouldn't be treating the sexes differently when it was totally unnecessary so to do.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 29-Apr-13 15:33:42

Doesnt bother me in the slightest. There are more important things to be worried about!

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Mon 29-Apr-13 15:48:24

Of course there are Saggy

I was just trying to work out whether it was indicative of him treating us differently as got a fairly substantial dressing down for doing something the way I was used to (solving an equation, so hardly likely to affect anyone else) which a fellow (male) student did exactly the same as me and didn't get comments on. I'm beginning to see slight hints of sexism and am wondering whether it's sexism or I'm just objectionable wink

quesadilla Mon 29-Apr-13 15:51:49

I don't understand. Did he save each of the male participants' work on an individual folder with the person's name and lump all the women together based on gender?

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Mon 29-Apr-13 15:56:39

The male participants' work was named after one member of their group, the girls were called lasses. We were split into groups based on gender. And he knows my name so could have saved as my name.

I know it's really tiny, but I can't see it as right (and I loathe being called girls/lasses).

quesadilla Mon 29-Apr-13 16:02:41

Oh I see. If he had grouped you all as "lasses " and saved each blokes work individually that would have been sexist. What he has done is borderline, I would say. If that were all he'd done I wouldn't give it another thought. If its of a piece with other stuff you might be onto something. It's pretty minor but I can see how it would grAte.

MadBusLady Mon 29-Apr-13 16:03:51

It is a bit weird, why didn't he just use one name from the girls' group in exactly the same way? (And why did he divide you into a group on gender anyway? confused)

I used to have a tutor who'd call the female students "chappesses" which I rather liked for some reason. There was no other context of sexism with him though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now