Talk

Advanced search

To not want my 10 year old DD to have a Blackberry

(10 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Mon 29-Apr-13 13:08:26

I'm not against phones for her age per se - DD has had a basic one for a year or 2 as she travels a fair way to school and I wanted her to be able to contact me - but now she has asked for a Blackberry which I know several of her friends have got and I hate the idea.

It's mainly because of BBM. I've read (on here I think) that BBM messages are untraceable so if there's any bullying or other bad behaviour you have no proof. I also dislike the 'clique' mentality of it and the way DD says all the kids seem to do at parties now is sit around messaging each other (why?!) or playing with their phones instead of dancing/talking/whatever.

But I know what it's like not to be allowed something when everyone else is and to not feel like part of the crowd - I don't want to exclude DD from plans the others might make on BBM, she is already having issues with being left out by some of her 'friends'.

I love my gadgets as much as the next person so it's not that I don't want her to have a nice phone, I just disagree with Blackberries which of course makes them even more appealing <sigh>.

AIBU to not get her one based on the reasons above?

Remotecontrolduck Mon 29-Apr-13 13:15:19

No, I don't think YABU. Blackberry is a bit high tech for a 10 year old with all the net access and BBM like you mentioned, it will cause a lot of fall outs.

I'm not against phones either, but I think something more basic is safer for her!

QueenOfCats Mon 29-Apr-13 13:16:31

From bitter experience - don't let her have a BB.

It causes a world of heartache.

CambridgeBlue Mon 29-Apr-13 13:17:50

Do you mind me asking why you say that Queen? Don't say if you'd rather not on here.

FrancesHouseman Mon 29-Apr-13 13:17:54

YANBU, don't get her one!

bigTillyMint Mon 29-Apr-13 13:20:44

I didn't let either of my DC have a Blackberry - DD is hopefully going to get one for her next birthday - 14th! She has proved that she is very sensible using FB, etc, so I have no concerns now.
She has not missed out on anything AFAIK - stick to your guns!

FrancesHouseman Mon 29-Apr-13 13:20:47

My reason - step-daughter got one at the age of 11 and I would recieve crappy forwarded chain BBMs from her with all kinds of swear-words and bullshit in them. Once she had the phone, that was it, no taking it away from her (particularly as her mum had no beef with what she was doing...)

CambridgeBlue Mon 29-Apr-13 13:55:45

I think when she's a bit older I might relent especially if she'd proven herself to be sensible in other ways as bigTilly says, but 10/11 just seems too young.

Frances that sounds horrible, what a nightmare.

BackforGood Mon 29-Apr-13 13:58:40

I don't know a lot about them myself, but dd2's (Primary) school has just had a whole lot of problems because some parents have let their dc have them, and there has had to be police involvement, Local Authority Child Protection Involvement, etc, as well as a whole heap of time the HT's had to be dealing with it all.
If that's not enough reason.....

bigTillyMint Mon 29-Apr-13 15:16:53

It'll be something to look forward to when she gets olderwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now